Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How is printing on chromium material done?  (Read 5148 times)

Randy Carone

Re: How is printing on chromium material done?
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2012, 10:37:03 am »

Justan,

Epson offers a MetallicProof Film that looks like chrome (mirror-like surface) that is, of course, compatible with aqueous ink. I don't know the archivability of this product but it will certainly give you the look you are after. It can be mounted to a substrate after printing. An optically clear polyester laminate will offer some extension of image life and will prevent scratches and dirt from marring the print.
Randy Carone

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2012, 11:47:55 am »

Bill,

Thanks for the encouragement but using a spray gun successfully just isn’t possible in the environment. First, the place where I do the work is in the mountains. There the snow has barely melted, except in the shade, where there is still a lot of snow and typically it lingers until late June. I could use the outdoors but I’m sure you know that spraying outside is not a exactly the best idea due to the airborne things that contaminate work.

My garage suffers from the combined effects of, well, being a garage in a cold environment, and being used to store a lot of fire wood and alfalfa. Even if I set up a minimal spray booth made from PVC, I would have to knock a large hole through the wall to provide suitable ventilation. And then I would never be able to stop the dust or humidity from the fire wood and alfalfa.

And then there is the part about the concrete garage floor that doesn’t get above about 42 degrees, in a room where the humidity never gets below about 67% even with a dehumidifier that runs about 12 hours a day. I could heat the garage and solve the temp problem, but not the problem with the dust and humidity.

Oh, and I tried to let G2 coated prints dry at 50 degrees once. It was a waste of materials.

And then, of course, there is SWMBO, and who would not sign off on, uh, re-tasking the space for this purpose. She’s already less than happy when I occupy the upper part of the abode so I can do canvas prep work there.

Long ago, before I went to kollege, I made a living by re-finishing pianos and furniture. I got to know my way around a spray gun and booth. Imo one has to have the right environment (warm, low humidity, and especially dust free) for successful results.

So for the time I’m stuck with rolling G2.

OK, I'm pushing for the bright glossy look for exactly the reason we're blathering on about this chrome stuff.  There's a trend towards zappy prints and I need to compete if somebody shows up in the next booth with those chrome things.  My goal is to be both zappy and tonally beautiful, that last feature being somewhat absent in the metallic prints I have seen.  It's just a matter of being all things to all people who have credits cards that aren't maxed out, yet.

Smart approach.

It would be so much easier to just use Baryta, except that people prefer it when there is no glass………………..!

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2012, 11:49:50 am »

Justan,

Epson offers a MetallicProof Film that looks like chrome (mirror-like surface) that is, of course, compatible with aqueous ink. I don't know the archivability of this product but it will certainly give you the look you are after. It can be mounted to a substrate after printing. An optically clear polyester laminate will offer some extension of image life and will prevent scratches and dirt from marring the print.

Thanks for the tip!

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2012, 02:51:34 pm »

I guess humidity has something to do with coating.  For me, the range of 50 to 55 degrees at around 30% humidity is optimal for GII, in terms of smoothness of finish and excellent leveling.  Dries to the touch in about 20 minutes or less.  But of course "here" is New Mexico at 6000 feet, land of Chapstick and hand lotion.  And I have no theories why I rarely get dust while spraying outside, other than the virtues of a nearly vertical canvas and the scarcity of alfalfa in these parts.

Johnny_Boy

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2012, 08:00:09 pm »

But OMG, Crystalline is just beautiful!  I'm getting colors and d-max and general tonal gorgeousness on canvas I never imagined I could.  Baryta move over.  And also I'm seeing detail I never imagined would come out.  But, ahem, it could be a little more chemical resistant, which is sort of like criticizing a miracle.  But definitely worth some PITA factor.  Honestly, I can never go back to matte, particularly for images with red, green, blue, cyan, yellow, or magenta in them.  Now if Epson would just lose that goofy pebbly surface, there would be two great glossy canvases.

When I talked to the BC folks, they recommend that I stay with Lyve rather than Crystaline if I wanted longevity. Your thoughts? For some reason, I think they were pitching the Crystaline as more of a decor market thing and Lyve as more fine art market...

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2012, 09:49:12 pm »

I don't discuss religion, country-specific pricing practices, issues of print longevity, or other imponderable issues that can only lead to pious prattling and verbal apoplexy.   :)

But I do know Crystalline has a colorspace that is 188% greater than that of Lyve.  And that colorspace is much better distributed around neutral which is even more impressive.  And it shows, the difference in image appearance is in most cases jaw-dropping.  Bring on those chrome print guys, I'll kick their highly reflective fannies right there at the credit card swiper.  And I think my clients would honestly prefer a shorter period of total WOW to a lifetime of ho-hum.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up