Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Editing a Lr 4 file in CS5  (Read 2824 times)

Bill Koenig

Editing a Lr 4 file in CS5
« on: May 09, 2012, 05:21:04 pm »

I have Lr 4 and PS CS5, I'm still waiting for the University that I work for to get the educational version of CS6.
If I tell Lr 4 to edit in Photoshop CS5, I lose all of my edits that I made to the file in Lr 4. I understand that I'm going to need CS6 before I can edit anything from Lr 4 in PS.
Is safe to assume that if I export that file to "Hard Drive" and save it to a folder out side of Lr 4 with output sharpening turned on, then bring it into CS5, all of the Lr edits are now baked in?
I'm pretty confident that I have this correct, but I've been trying to find a answer to confirm this, without any luck.
So here I am asking, what might be considered, a dumb question.   
Bill Koenig,

John Cothron

• Cothron Photography
Re: Editing a Lr 4 file in CS5
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 05:27:38 pm »

I don't believe you lose the Lr4 edits when moving to CS5, I know I don't.  It asks you, or rather warns you.. and you have the option of rendering the image in Lr4 before it gets pulled into CS5.  That's what I do.
John
Flickr

aduke

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 05:36:57 pm »

I, also, render the image in LR4 on the way to editing in PS. I've set the question dialog so that it does not ask every time. If you are not seeing that dialog, try resetting the defaults.

Alan

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 01:43:54 am »

I believe LR4 assumes ACR 6.7 with CS5.  If you don't have ACR 6.7 you can have LR render the image before passing it off to PS and your edits should remain intact.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

AlanShaw

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 09:17:39 pm »

Incidentally Bill, if you're going to export a file for further editing in another application, you probably don't want to apply output sharpening at that point.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 12:52:00 pm »

I don't believe you lose the Lr4 edits when moving to CS5, I know I don't.  It asks you, or rather warns you.. and you have the option of rendering the image in Lr4 before it gets pulled into CS5.  That's what I do.

That is what you need to do IF you use say PV2012 in LR and want to honer the new processing. When you use the Edit in Photoshop command from LR, it is ACR that renders the image. In the example here, LR4 has newer processing capabilities than CS5’s version of ACR so you don’t get that new functionality. You do get a warning. What you want to do is export (let LR render), then open that in Photoshop. Or if you must use the Edit in Photoshop command, make sure LR and ACR are on parity. You don’t have to upgrade ACR, you can always export and let your newer copy of LR handle the rendering.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Alistair

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 01:45:28 pm »

That is what you need to do IF you use say PV2012 in LR and want to honer the new processing. When you use the Edit in Photoshop command from LR, it is ACR that renders the image. In the example here, LR4 has newer processing capabilities than CS5’s version of ACR so you don’t get that new functionality. You do get a warning. What you want to do is export (let LR render), then open that in Photoshop. Or if you must use the Edit in Photoshop command, make sure LR and ACR are on parity. You don’t have to upgrade ACR, you can always export and let your newer copy of LR handle the rendering.

So do we understand correctly that ACR 6.7 is PV 2010 and that Adobe have removed the pop-up option to render in LR instead of ACR which used to appear when using the 'Edit in Photoshop' menu and the version of ACR isnstalled was older than the installed LR raw version?
Alistair

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 04:01:51 pm »

So do we understand correctly that ACR 6.7 is PV 2010 and that Adobe have removed the pop-up option to render in LR instead of ACR which used to appear when using the 'Edit in Photoshop' menu and the version of ACR isnstalled was older than the installed LR raw version?

I don’t know which popup you refer to. When you specifically ask for the Edit in Photoshop command, LR hands off the rendering to Photoshop. Been that way since version 2.0 or around that time. You therefor either let the current version of ACR do this or you use Export and let LR render.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

aduke

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 06:38:20 pm »

When you use Edit in Photoshop, if there is an ACR/LR version conflict, a warning dialog pops up. I have set it to Render in LR and Don't Show This Again. Thus, I don't see the dialog anymore and LR renders the image and passes the TIF to PS.

If you've as I have, you can reset this behavior in Preferences > General where there is a button labeled Reset All Warning Dialogs.

Alan.

Alistair

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 02:46:37 am »

Thank you very much Alan and Andrew for your responses. Yes, I was referring to the warning dialogue pop-up you speak of Alan. I am using the "Merge to Panorama in Photoshop" option from LR and unfortunately when doing this, I do not get this warning. So I suspect that that ACR 6.7 is rendering the image rather than LR and that ACR 6.7 is PV2010. Does this sound correct? Obviously it is preferable to use PV 2012 but the convenience of using "Merge to Panorama in Photoshop" from LR is too much to lose.
Alistair

aduke

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 02:15:42 pm »

I believe that you are, unfortunately, correct. Since I don't do many pano or HDR images, I've not thought out the best process.

Alan
Pages: [1]   Go Up