Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital Transitions Visualizer Beta - Lens Equivalency Made Easy  (Read 10450 times)

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: Digital Transitions Visualizer Beta - Lens Equivalency Made Easy
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2012, 02:12:02 pm »

Great for now. When I finally sort out getting my Hartblei, I'll shoot something with the Canon 17mm TS-E on the IQ180 for you if you want :)

Why stop there?

This lens has a 220 degree AOV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIDbw4gjunY

I haven't looked into whether that's a prank (how can you make an optic that sees behind itself??) and frankly I don't want to - it might ruin the magic  ;D.

gerald.d

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2012, 02:15:49 pm »

Without even clicking on the link, that'll be the Nikon 6mm fisheye.

And yup - it has a 220 degree FoV and can see behind itself :)

I saw one in person back in the 1980's. Amazing thing.

timparkin

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2012, 12:00:36 pm »

If I compare a 110mm lens on 54 and then get the verticals to match for full frame 35mm, it suggests a 25mm lens. However, the vertical on 5x4 is 96mm (approx for modern fidelity dark slides) and the vertical for 35mm is 24mm which suggests a 4x conversion which suggests a 27.5mm lens?

Great way of presenting things though! Very well done..

Tim

Doug Peterson

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2012, 12:57:03 pm »

Thanks for the feedback Tim!

Indeed based on several valued beta tester's feedback we have discovered several of the film formats in the beta are off by a mm or two. The film gate size (or at least a commonly accepted film gate size, given that they did vary slightly from one system to the next) was used in some, but not all, of the film formats.

As a result some of the results in the beta are indeed off by a percent or two. A pretty minor error, but exactly what we hoped to flush out in the beta. They will be corrected in the final version scheduled for next month. Also, we will show the actual mm size of the format you select in a non-intrusive way so the detail-oriented user can check exactly what reference points are being used for the math.

Chockstone

• Chockstone Photography
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2012, 11:13:49 pm »

Under IE8 (on Win XP) all I see is a white box after it asked for my name, etc. Also some kind of client-side scripting error appears in the status bar:

Line: 582
Char: 5
Code: 0
URI: https://digitaltransitions.com/visualizer/visualizer002.js

Works fine with Firefox though!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 11:17:27 pm by Chockstone »

timparkin

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2012, 05:51:39 am »

Thanks for the feedback Tim!

Indeed based on several valued beta tester's feedback we have discovered several of the film formats in the beta are off by a mm or two. The film gate size (or at least a commonly accepted film gate size, given that they did vary slightly from one system to the next) was used in some, but not all, of the film formats.

As a result some of the results in the beta are indeed off by a percent or two. A pretty minor error, but exactly what we hoped to flush out in the beta. They will be corrected in the final version scheduled for next month. Also, we will show the actual mm size of the format you select in a non-intrusive way so the detail-oriented user can check exactly what reference points are being used for the math.

Great to see such attention to detail

Doug Peterson

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2012, 02:57:24 pm »

We have updated our public beta of the visualizer with several improvements, most of which were suggested here or on LL. Any additional feedback is welcome, either here or in person at our Phase One Photo Plus Expo booth next week.

Link:
www.digitaltransitions.com/visualizer/visualizer.html

Fixes/Improvements:
- Can now show equivalency down to 14mm on a FF dSLR
- Added options to match lens by Vertical, Horizontal, and Focal Length in addition to the Diagonal. These update in real time as you slide. You can also turn lens matching "off" which allows you to slide them independently.
- Should run correctly in IE9
- Several sensors/cameras added including:
--- M8/M9 (thanks Dr. Scates)
--- 6x17, 5x7, and 6x9 film
- Size of each film format now reflects the most common exposed-area for that film. (gebseng a 90mm on 4x5 now correctly shows as equivalent diagonally to a 36mm on a 36x48 sensor)
- registration no longer considers Canada to be part of the US (no insult intended Canadian friends!)
- fixed math error which caused wrong results when the two sensors being compared were of very different aspect ratios

Requested feedback:
- anyone have IE8 they can try it in?
- anyone have IE10 preview?
- does the "Auto Match Lens:" wording make sense with the boxes "off", "vertical" etc?

Did Not Get To
I was not able to find a way to easily implement a custom sensor size. In the future (early next year?) I hope to add a clever way of showing the specific measurement of the sensor/film selected - just have to close the development for now.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 03:06:45 pm by Doug Peterson »

Doug Peterson

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2012, 03:09:35 pm »

Great for now. When I finally sort out getting my Hartblei, I'll shoot something with the Canon 17mm TS-E on the IQ180 for you if you want :)

If you have such an image we'd be interested to come to terms to use it on our visualizer. 17mm on IQ180 would provide us the most flexibility to show any lens+sensor combo.

Doug Peterson

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2013, 10:08:19 am »

We're pleased to release an update to our Digital Transitions Visualizers:
- No more "info wall" (a.k.a. registration screen) required. Free and open to all.
- Additional film formats and new IQ2 series backs
- Streamlined user interface
- Smoother scrolling
- New Image Circle Visualizer

The new image circle visualizer does not seem to work in Internet Explorer. I'm working on that, but for now use a Mac or Chrome on Windows instead.

Feedback on either tool is very welcome. You can post here or email dep@digitaltransitions.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up