Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto Hyperfocal Distance  (Read 1869 times)

cloudrippr

Auto Hyperfocal Distance
« on: May 08, 2012, 01:00:22 am »

With all of the advances in digital cameras and features, I often wonder why a manufacturer can't add a mode for auto hyperfocal distance? It seems that the camera already has the information to calculate it, i.e. f-stop & lens focal length. Would out it be too difficult to program the camera/lens to allow a press of a button in this mode and the lens would focus at the hyperfocal distance?

Tony Jay

Re: Auto Hyperfocal Distance
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 01:01:25 am »

Interesting idea.

Regards

Tony Jay

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 01:42:17 am »

Canon 20d already had something similar: a mode where you focus first on the closest point, then focus on the farthest point, and the camera calculates the f/stop to keep both points sharp. It was abandoned in later models, and I do not know why. Some other great ideas, like eye focusing, from film days, Canon abandoned as well.

shadowblade

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 02:06:28 am »

Probably because everyone has a different idea of 'acceptable sharpness'. I find the 'standard' definition of a circle of confusion of 30 microns on a 35mm sensor to be rather blurry, and usually go for a circle of confusion of two photosites' side length instead.

Fine_Art

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 04:02:15 am »

Probably because everyone has a different idea of 'acceptable sharpness'. I find the 'standard' definition of a circle of confusion of 30 microns on a 35mm sensor to be rather blurry, and usually go for a circle of confusion of two photosites' side length instead.

30? surely that is wrong with 5 micron pixels. Do you mean 3?

shadowblade

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 06:48:39 pm »

No, 30 microns is the 'standard', but is really based on early film cameras, and small prints.

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 11:49:00 am »

I had completely forgotten that feature on some Canon cameras.  In my humble opinion it was very cool and I used it often.
Pages: [1]   Go Up