Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lost Hard Disk space  (Read 2304 times)

Dave Gurtcheff

Lost Hard Disk space
« on: May 07, 2012, 05:10:16 pm »

I have a relatively new PC with two hard drives. The C drive is 500 GB and contains only programs. My D drive is 1 TB., which is for files only. I have 11 directories on my D drive with usages as follows:
3.39 GB
310 mb
52 kb
6.79 GB
1.32 GB
4.02 GB
314 GB (My photo files)
3.18 Gb
192 mb
4.35 GB
13.51 GB
In round numbers I think this about 350+ GB. My hard drive properties show 832 GB used, and 94.2 available!
When I firsrt received my PC I noticed my D drive filling up too qucikly. I employed a local PC guy and we determined the Mfg had enanabled some kind of mirror back up. He could not figure out how to get rid of it, so I saved everything to an external drive, and he reformatted the disk. It seems again there is something going on that is stealing my hard drive space. Any ideas? 
Thanks
Dave in NJ
PS-I am 75 yrs old, and not a PC expert by any means.
Thanks in advance!

dreed

Re: Lost Hard Disk space
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 07:46:49 pm »

I have a relatively new PC with two hard drives. The C drive is 500 GB and contains only programs. My D drive is 1 TB., which is for files only. I have 11 directories on my D drive with usages as follows:
3.39 GB
310 mb
52 kb
6.79 GB
1.32 GB
4.02 GB
314 GB (My photo files)
3.18 Gb
192 mb
4.35 GB
13.51 GB
In round numbers I think this about 350+ GB. My hard drive properties show 832 GB used, and 94.2 available!
When I firsrt received my PC I noticed my D drive filling up too qucikly. I employed a local PC guy and we determined the Mfg had enanabled some kind of mirror back up. He could not figure out how to get rid of it, so I saved everything to an external drive, and he reformatted the disk. It seems again there is something going on that is stealing my hard drive space. Any ideas? 
Thanks
Dave in NJ
PS-I am 75 yrs old, and not a PC expert by any means.
Thanks in advance!

Ok, if you reformatted the disk then you will not have disabled the mirror backup. It would be like trying to dry your car's wind screen while it is raining - you'll succeed but only momentarily because you are only treating a symptom, not the cause. Some other ideas come to mind, but I would just be guessing.

You need to contact the manufacturer and ask them for assistance.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 11:50:30 am »

Only a guess but check to see that volume shadow copy is turned off

http://www.trishtech.com/win7/turn_off_volume_shadow_copy_in_windows_7.php

In addition, if you don't have a backup for your files you should have one or several of them, but they don't want to be on the same drive as are the original files.

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 12:04:48 pm »

THANKS ALL! Thanks to all, I now have recovered 500GB of space. It went from 94.2 GB free space to 594GB of free space. Almost all was for temporary files and thanks to a contributer on another forum,I found 198GB used for system restore files. I turned this off, since I store my files to 3 external drives, and my system files, programs, drivers etc, etc is on the C drive.
Again, thanks all saved me buying a new internal drive!
Dave in NJ

dreed

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 05:37:09 pm »

THANKS ALL! Thanks to all, I now have recovered 500GB of space. It went from 94.2 GB free space to 594GB of free space. Almost all was for temporary files and thanks to a contributer on another forum,I found 198GB used for system restore files. I turned this off, since I store my files to 3 external drives, and my system files, programs, drivers etc, etc is on the C drive.
Again, thanks all saved me buying a new internal drive!
Dave in NJ

I'm not surprised that System Restore was responsible for some of this - I was going to mention it but I when I looked at trying to describe what to do, I just wasn't comfortable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up