Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spring colored beech forest with a couple of dolmens  (Read 1797 times)

LarsHansen

Spring colored beech forest with a couple of dolmens
« on: May 07, 2012, 03:14:53 pm »

The green beech forests are a joy in fresh green these days.. but what about the composition?  :-\

Nikon D40, 18-55 kit zoom @48mm.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 03:17:53 pm by LarsHansen »

Tony Jay

Re: Spring colored beech forest with a couple of dolmens
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 07:42:53 pm »

Forests are great places to visit and photograph but it can sometimes be difficult to see the forest for the trees.
In this case I think it is the rock formations that get in the way somewhat.
I applaud your effort in trying to give a sense of place in your image by including features that are present in the forest.
However if your goal was to give the beech trees primacy then I am not sure that you have succeeded.

Kind Regards

Tony Jay

LarsHansen

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 03:01:31 pm »

Tony and Isaac - thanks for Your comments.

One should be careful with titles - unless you are in advertising...    

I agree that forests can be tricky to see in among all the trees. My intention was to include another element to balance things - and not too many trees. But .. yes - a bit heavy on boulders in the right side and a pile of boulders in the background to just add a bit of balance ;D

So primacy to the trees was not the intention - "a sense of place" it's probably well put, but still with a sense of the crisp light green.

I've uploaded a few other shots from same locaction - one with primacy to the trees and another with a (hopefully) more recognizable dolmen. The latter does not give the forest much attention though - so I'll refrain from using the title..

« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 03:06:29 pm by LarsHansen »

LarsHansen

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 03:15:29 pm »

No Isaac - unfortunately not. A tree was in my way and several other boulders was blocking the view. I considered moving far backwards and using a longer focal length, but unless I cut down a few trees it wouldn't work. I have a few other shots from other view points I'll try to work on and might post here. Thanks again.

LarsHansen

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 07:20:37 am »

Or you could try to make a composite image :-)

A bit avant-garde for one who bought the first SLR in 1980 and just swithed to digital SLR a few years ago ..  ;)

Good point - it will challenge my PP skills, but it's probably easier than cutting down trees.

LarsHansen

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 04:03:09 pm »

Sorry, I wasn't clear - I did mean from completely different view points

These ones are the only ones where the light wasn't too dull - the compositions are not that interesting. Maybe it would have worked better if I had set the tripod close to ground level and used a wider focal length... might try that next time.  

Thanks for your comments..
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 04:24:23 pm by LarsHansen »

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 04:37:47 pm »

#2 in the last triad is getting interesting.
A tricky subject well worth exploring further. Fall and the bronze leaves are coming... :)
Scott

LarsHansen

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 05:02:56 pm »

A tricky subject well worth exploring further. Fall and the bronze leaves are coming... :)
Scott

Thanks Scott ... yes, it's an interesting place to visit all year around and there are 5-6 dolmens within a small area so I have plenty to explore. Fall and bronze leaves?? .. the spring is peaking now so don't mention the fall  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up