Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mac air  (Read 1319 times)

shaun

mac air
« on: May 07, 2012, 02:42:17 pm »

Hi

Anyone using mac air 11" to load shots from Memory card. I'm using firewire port at the moment on an imac and wonder is usb quick enough to upload a 16gb card.

Thanks
Shaun

Nora_nor

Re: mac air
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 11:13:56 am »

my 13 inch MBA has a SD card slot

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 06:41:00 pm »

I ran into a shooter that I used to know at a football bowl game in December, and he was using an 11-inch MBA to edit and transmit. Of course he had to use the USB port for downloading, but he didn't report any complaints. But I think he was shooting jpeg files.

Doing some research as I look to replace my 17-inch MBP, and I really wanted to like either of the Air models, but the limited RAM and the slow processor speed make them less desirable for hard photo use. Maybe if I have a desktop in the studio for the real heavy lifting, and use an Air on location, it might work.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

shaun

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 01:54:43 pm »

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm flying long haul soon and forgot just how heavy a mac book pro can be. The air is really for getting the files off the memory cards and a bit of editing, focus check etc. I do use a hasselblad 39 so will investigate the ram further, thanks for drawing that to my attention.

Shaun

Nora_nor

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 01:39:44 pm »

due to the flash disk instead of a hard drive, my MBA is much much faster than my MBP 15 inch 2008 model. I also use it for printing, Lightroom, etc. Much faster.

I also have some (actually an external disk half full of them, they are large scans of negatives) large files (80-150 Mb each) and it did not kneel at them either.
Pages: [1]   Go Up