Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I fix my polarizer mistake in Lightroom?  (Read 2182 times)

jocala99

Can I fix my polarizer mistake in Lightroom?
« on: May 07, 2012, 09:18:27 am »

I'm trying to figure out the best way to recover from a dumb mistake.

Yesterday I photographed my church's beach baptism. I used a circular polarizer, which I set to the angle I wanted before the event began. During the shoot, without thinking (ugh) I took about half of the pictures portrait orientation, and the rest landscape, which of course resulted in quite different results because of the circular polarizer. I've attached an unretouched example of each orientation.

I have hundreds of exposures, and I really want to get them as uniform as possible. I use Lightroom 3, but I'm a bit new at it. Can anyone suggest a strategy?

Thanks,
Joanne

howardm

Re: Can I fix my polarizer mistake in Lightroom?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 09:38:59 am »

I assume you want the verticals to match the horizontals?

I forget offhand if LR3 has the TAT (targeted adj. tool) in the HSL panel but you
can decrease the saturation of the sky & water and then bump the tint (since the horizontals have a significant purple/magenta cast)

The big question is whether doing that messes up the skin tones and if masking is required.  If not, then you can simply Sync
the other verticals.

I just tried that in PS5 and it works pretty well.

jocala99

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 09:42:37 am »

Thanks! I have PS 5.5, so if that's a better tool I can use it.

dreed

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 10:08:58 am »

I'm trying to figure out the best way to recover from a dumb mistake.

Yesterday I photographed my church's beach baptism. I used a circular polarizer, which I set to the angle I wanted before the event began. During the shoot, without thinking (ugh) I took about half of the pictures portrait orientation, and the rest landscape, which of course resulted in quite different results because of the circular polarizer. I've attached an unretouched example of each orientation.

I have hundreds of exposures, and I really want to get them as uniform as possible. I use Lightroom 3, but I'm a bit new at it. Can anyone suggest a strategy?

I think it is generally accepted that polarisation is the one effect that is not able to be reproduced in post processing (or at least not easily) as it often involves removing reflections, not just changing the saturation.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 10:11:09 am »

In Lightroom, set up the second screen and select the ideal polarised picture. Set it to Loupe view, and set it to Locked.

Then on main screen, select the unpolarised pictures in Library's grid. In Develop, right hand side, bottom - change Sync button to AutoSync. This means all your corrections will apply to all the selected pictures.

Now go up to the HSL and switch on the targeted adjustment tool - the little circle in the top left of HSL. Go into Hue, and drag up and down on the picture so that it matches the one on the second screen.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 10:12:11 am »

I think it is generally accepted that polarisation is the one effect that is not able to be reproduced in post processing (or at least not easily) as it often involves removing reflections, not just changing the saturation.
Sure, but it doesn't mean nothing can be done to make them match a bit more.

howardm

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 10:16:13 am »

I didn't say it was a 'better' tool, it's what I had at quick disposal on the laptop I'm working on
(my LR machine is upstairs).

Certainly LR will be handier in it's ability to synch lots of files all at once.

All I was saying was that some targeted color desat and a WB tweak gets you most of the way there.

Thanks! I have PS 5.5, so if that's a better tool I can use it.

jocala99

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 11:30:16 am »

I didn't know how to use the Targeted Adjustment tool til now. This is all very helpful; thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up