Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Relaxed shooting of a beautiful subject  (Read 1364 times)

Tony Jay

Relaxed shooting of a beautiful subject
« on: May 06, 2012, 05:46:42 am »

I have just spent two very pleasant evenings shooting the rising moon over the Pacific Ocean.

Don't know yet whether any images will meet the mark but I don't really care since I had such an enjoyable time anyway.
A couple of real keepers would just be a bonus on top of such enjoyable evenings.

I need these sorts of experiences occasionally to keep my perspective on life.

Regards

Tony Jay

Riaan van Wyk

Re: Relaxed shooting of a beautiful subject
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 09:20:50 am »

I have just spent two very pleasant evenings shooting....snip...I need these sorts of experiences occasionally to keep my perspective on life.
Regards
Tony Jay

Same here Tony. I can't function if I don't have some "quiet time" in the outdoors at least once a week, I get grumpy if I don't.

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 10:38:28 am »

That's hard to do, Tony, keeping perspective. The trouble is, not only the self but also the surrounding world refuses to stand still and allow proper calibration. Afer much thought, I've concluded that the best thing to do is throw in the cards (others would choose a towel, but that's different), call for a reshuffle and just try again, preferably with something else. However, that requires patience and a plan! neither of which I have much of at this juncture.

Ironically, it's photography that's the problem, so taking a few more shots isn't really going to lower the stress level a great deal. Speaking of which, I just had mine raised a few minutes ago. I had a call from a lady I didn't know who said she's just found my card, and that I gave it to her at a jazz shooting last year; she asked whether I'd do her daughter's wedding... she went on to tell me that her husband used to do them and that she'd have had a go if she still had a camera, but that she only has a digital one now. I refused as gently as I could and was able to offer her the 'phone number of a local young guy who does them and whose work I've seen. I don't think she was quite prepared to be turned down, but just because I enjoyed listening to the music and doing some shooting doesn't indicate I want more hassle, as we have just discussed!

Maybe that's one of the reasons I can't build a 50ft studio for myself.

;-)

Rob C

Tony Jay

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 07:30:47 pm »

Well yes.

I wouldn't be putting my hand up to do wedding photography anytime soon - this would be the very antithesis of photography for me.
My photography reflects my interest in the outdoors so even if I happen to shoot rubbish on a particular day because I am off my game or the weather and light are uncooperative it is not a train smash since I can really enjoy myself irregardless.

Wedding photography on the other hand mandates marching to the beat of others drums with little or no second chance if a shot is missed. One requires astute psychology and diplomacy to be a good wedding photographer.

My photography is a way to feed my soul and keep my sanity. I can shoot primarily for myself - if others like the results well and good. I have very high standards for what I regard as a pass mark for my photography however I do not make the mistake of measuring the success of an expedition purely in terms of the images I have shot.

Regards

Tony Jay
Pages: [1]   Go Up