Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Uninstalling Old Versions of Lr  (Read 1513 times)

Remo Nonaz

• Photography By Homer Shannnon
Uninstalling Old Versions of Lr
« on: May 05, 2012, 09:53:51 am »

I down loaded and installed Lr4.0 this morning as I am having too many issues with Lr4.1rc2. When I originally installed 4.0 it removed 4.0b and when I installed 4.1rc2 it removed 4.0, but when I re-installed 4.0 it left 4.1rc2 behind. So, I now have working copies of both. I also have a working copy of 3.6 that I think I downloaded as a trial many months ago, but I don't think I ever used it.

I have my program files on a 120GB SSD, so space is at a bit of a premium. I would like to remove the 4.1rc2 and the 3.6 as they use up about 1.5GB of space. Obviously I don't want to lose my catalog or settings and I have a couple of plug-ins that I installed way back in the days of Lr4b. (They still work without ever having to mess around with them.)

What is the best way to uninstall the older versions of Lr without risking losing anything important for continued operation of Lr4.0?
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Re: Uninstalling Old Versions of Lr
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 02:02:16 am »

Well, LR 3.6 is completely separate from LR 4.x so you can uninstall that w/o problems.  Not sure about LR 4.0 vs. 4.1 RC2.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Remo Nonaz

• Photography By Homer Shannnon
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 08:54:19 am »

I uninstalled 3.6 and 4.1rc2 without issues. I also uninstalled the 4.0b version that did not show up in the folders but did show up in the uninstall tool. I did have a minor issue with my Friedl plug-in but it was easily reinstalled and the problem may have been related to an earlier attempt to update that item anyway. All cleaned up now  :D
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!

One Frame at a Time

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 12:34:52 pm »

A related question as a quasi new comer to the Light Room Application and long time photoshop user.  I have been running LR 3.6 most of last year and just upgraded to 4.0.  I have sort of a long range concern or question since the LR environment does not store adjusted files just the database or instructions on the adjustments.  What happens to old instructions in the new (and future) versions of LR?? 

Some of the controls from 3.6 are now different in 4.0  (ie Clarity).  What happens to the old instructions from 3.6 when you open  an image now in 4.0?  In 5.0 and beyond??

I guess what Im asking is: do we need to keep all the old versions of LR installed and remember what images were edited with what version or start new catalogs with each new version?  Thanks for any light you can shed on this!

aduke

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 12:49:18 pm »

You do not need to keep older versions of LR after installing LR 4. After you've installed it, if you open your old catalog, LR4 will make a copy of the catalog, converted to LR4 format. The images will be imported, with their current process version. LR4 is capable of reading and processing the process version 2010 (PV2010) as well as both the older version and the newer version, PV2012.

I've not converted most of my older images, but those that I have, are much superior to PV2010 and with much less time and work.

Alan

One Frame at a Time

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 01:29:45 pm »

Great!  Thanks! 
Pages: [1]   Go Up