Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lr4 Soft Proofing  (Read 5016 times)

Remo Nonaz

• Photography By Homer Shannnon
Lr4 Soft Proofing
« on: May 04, 2012, 09:52:45 pm »

I'm a little confused with the soft proofing features of Lr4. I have the Lu-La videos, Camera To Print and Screen, and I'm familiar with the way Jeff and Michael describe using Photoshop to preview the way an image is going to look on paper and adjust accordingly. However, in Lr I can't seem to find a way to compare the 'as adjusted' image to an 'as it's going to look on paper' image. I can do a 'before adjustments' image and 'after adjustments' image, but I don't think the 'after adjustments' image is trying to mimic my selected paper. It just shows how I have changed the image from 'as shot'.

I watched the Julianne Kost video on soft proofing and she does not discuss mimicking the paper look at all. She sticks to making sure that the image is not out of color range, which Lr seems to do pretty well.

Am I missing something or trying to use a feature in Lr that just isn't there to begin with?
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!

John Cothron

• Cothron Photography
Re: Lr4 Soft Proofing
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 10:02:00 pm »

When in the Develop module, you need to turn on soft proofing on the bottom toobar.  After you do, and click the before after view, the image on the right is the soft proof image that represents how it looks on the profile you choose in the right panel "soft-proofing" section.  You get the option to create a proof copy, which is a virtual copy that contains the image as modified.
John
Flickr

Remo Nonaz

Re: Lr4 Soft Proofing - Solved
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 06:45:23 am »

OK, thank you for that. That solves part of the problem. When I  create the 'proof copy', I get a before that is my adjusted image and and after that is, I suppose, the image adjusted for out put requirements. However, the check box ''Simulate Paper and Ink" is grayed out and cannot be checked. How do I turn that on? (I'm assuming this will get me where I'm trying to go.)

---

Update - I searched around and found this page http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/lightroom-4-soft-proofing.html. A useful article. I get it. I did not realize that the profile box allowed you to choose your paper type, I thought it was just the general color space. With that set to a paper ICC, the proof preview panel takes on the look of your print media. Perfect!

I guess I should know by now that Adobe usually gets it right. It just takes me a little longer to catch up! ::)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 07:22:45 am by Remo Nonaz »
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!

Pete_G

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 08:42:18 am »

I find having two images up at once not that useful, a better way of working is to set up Loupe View (viewing a single image) and use the backslash key to toggle between each image. The colour differences are then far more obvious.

Softproofing with LR4 is vastly improved over Photoshop.

Remo Nonaz

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 09:57:48 am »

A very good tip! This is much better as it allows you to see much more detail in the proof mode. Thank you.  :)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 07:02:35 pm »

I find having two images up at once not that useful, a better way of working is to set up Loupe View (viewing a single image) and use the backslash key to toggle between each image. The colour differences are then far more obvious.

Agreed +1
Wild Nature Photo Travel

lmwacctg

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 11:02:41 pm »

I wonder why people don't seem to spend the time to figure things out for themselves anymore?

This is not that hard.

Tony Jay

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 12:59:48 am »

I would not be too dismissive if I were you.

What's easy for you may not be so easy for others.
Also many more are interested in the answer apart from the OP.

If you spend time on these forums you will notice that questions continually reappear sometimes only a fortnight apart, sometimes longer.

Regards

Tony Jay

mac_paolo

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 02:34:31 am »

That's true for small screens, but humans just can't really compare two images when displayed at once.
You really should place them side by side in order to eventually correct the proof so that it closely matches the former version, IMHO.
I'm not saying that your way is useless, not at all, it's just less precise, not to forget that a lot of people (count me in) find an awful time lag between actual-before-actual cycles.

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 07:31:31 am »

I wonder why people don't seem to spend the time to figure things out for themselves anymore?

This is not that hard.

Did you try spending the time to figure out the answer to your question before you asked it?  It is not that hard.   :D

walter.sk

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 06:06:12 pm »

I have a large monitor and prefer to the side-by-side method for accuracy.  However, I find that there is some rapid adaptation that occurs pertaining to white balance, so I occasionally look away from the monitor.  When I look back it is easier to see if the match is on the money.
Pages: [1]   Go Up