Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flowers and farms  (Read 1748 times)

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Flowers and farms
« on: May 04, 2012, 11:45:39 am »

A couple of weeks back the Mt. Vernon area held their annual flower festival, an amazing display of flowers and cultivation skills.

Link to larger image

Link to larger image

Link to larger image

Link to larger image

Link to larger image

« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 11:13:12 am by Justan »

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Re: Flowes and farms
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 10:48:15 am »

Isaac,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

> Apart from acknowledging the large area of yellow, I didn't seem to look at that mass of daffodils - so FarmAndDaffodils2 was more interesting than FarmAndDaffodils1 because there's more distinct stuff along that far boundary with the daffodils.

I was hoping to get feedback on which composition was better received. Other than the viewpoint, the other distinctive feature between the 2 is that in one image the flowers were sharpened substantially while the other added blur.

> Multi-Colored-Tulips-1 seems to work better from the mid-ground into the distance, the foreground yellow blooms seem to blur together.

Wish I had a big stopper ND filter for this one. Since I didn’t I went for the highest f stop and slowest shutter I could get in daylight, and the resulting mush was aided by a tad of PP blur.

For reasons unobvious to me, many women love the pink tulips composition and the early bloomer (1-flower-panorama) is a close second, though it doesn’t have a strong as a gender based response as does pink tulips.

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 12:44:57 pm »

Justan

Don't usually drop into this section, but I do like your last shot very much; apart from a pleasing composition/crop, nice to see somebody saying the hell with infinite depth of field at last! Makes it so much stronger and to the point.

Rob C

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 11:14:00 am »

Justan

Don't usually drop into this section, but I do like your last shot very much; apart from a pleasing composition/crop, nice to see somebody saying the hell with infinite depth of field at last! Makes it so much stronger and to the point.

Rob C

Thanks!

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Re: Flowers and farms
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 11:24:59 am »

> Now I look for that, I can easily see that difference. afaict I barely glance at the mass of daffodils - I skip right across that field and start examining what isn't a field of daffodils.

It’s interesting to me how people see these. In one case someone said that they thought the buildings were a distraction and focused on the flowers & sky.

Also, a lot of what creates impact for these is scale. When reduced enough to be tolerable for web based viewing, they are at a small fraction, maybe 1/10th of the intended size. I think that drastically alters how people see the works.

> I can see that composition has a likeable swathe of pink and blue, and without the presence of other details like farm buildings I guess it's easier to put our own feelings into the picture - in that sense it's the more open ended picture.

Getting the viewer to project something of themself into the image is the grandest goal of all. Not that I have any knowledge of the skills to achieve this goal, but where in many cases a simple subject is what people tend to like, in this case it is the variations of a theme that serves the goal.

> And, on reflection, being a more open ended picture is quite a strength - perhaps a strength I don't appreciate enough ;-)

> (Perhaps that's also the case with the early bloomer - although the bloom seems small and far away.)

Very thoughtful comments. Thanks!

Pages: [1]   Go Up