Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cropping to golden mean  (Read 3556 times)

free2australian

Cropping to golden mean
« on: May 04, 2012, 02:41:09 am »

I have cropped a photo in Lightroom 4 to 1x1.618 (golden mean).  I wish to export the photo to an on-line photo lab.

Be grateful if someone can provide me with the dimensions for the longest side I need to place in the export window of Lightroom.  Also is there anything else I should indicate within this window so the print outcome has no cut off.  See attachment of Lightroom export window.

thank you

sue

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
Re: Cropping to golden mean
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 07:20:12 am »

Using the Export command the way you have it set up will get you a file with the proportions you want, but there is no way to know from here how your lab would handle it. Our local labs would usually end up cutting off part of the print.

If it were me, I would open the file in Photoshop and use the Canvas Size command to create a document in a "normal" printing size (whatever that happens to be.) So, for example, if the photo that I want is 10x16.18 inches, and my lab could print on 11x17 paper, I would create a canvas of 11x17 and send that to the printer.

Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

francois

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 07:25:08 am »

You can also use the Print module (choose Print to: File) in Lightroom and adjust the margins and image size you need.
Francois

free2australian

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 07:49:59 am »

thanks for your response.

Please explain print to file in Lightroom  i.e. how do I set this in the export window what do I set and what is the longest side size?

francois

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 10:47:09 am »

thanks for your response.

Please explain print to file in Lightroom  i.e. how do I set this in the export window what do I set and what is the longest side size?

You don't use export. You need to go into the Print module and set the print job to file. There, you have to set your margins and the image size.
Francois

free2australian

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 07:49:33 pm »

Thank you francois

I was not aware of this option to set up dimensions in the print Module . I always thought the Print module is for when I want to actually make the print from my own printer.

Once I insert what I want  within the print module what do I do to save the photo to my desktop to later upload to the Photo Lab for them to Print?.  Please excuse my ignorance I am just a beginner.

Sue

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 12:51:00 am »

If sending to an online lab, using the export command is very efficient.

The real question is what type of online lab and what the requirements are, and how the image is submitted.  If you are emailing it perhaps some issues, if you are submitting it through an ordering process it will probably force you do submit it in a way it will be right, requiring a width larger than the actual image width.

The advantage of using the print module as mentioned is you can indicate a standard "print" size, such as 16x20, and the resulting jpeg image will leave a white border and definitely maintain your desired aspect ratio.

Some labs can handle odd size prints no problem, so using the export module is fine.  Others it's safer to give them a "normal" size print and trim it yourself.

Seems a call to the facility might help.

BTW, you might want to modify the first post in this thread with the additional information and delete the duplicate post you created.  You can always edit your own posts if you leave something out or make a mistake.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 02:48:17 pm by Wayne Fox »

francois

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 06:10:34 am »

Once I insert what I want  within the print module what do I do to save the photo to my desktop to later upload to the Photo Lab for them to Print?.

Yes, that's correct.
Francois

free2australian

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 07:30:02 am »

thank you

free2australian

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 08:11:21 am »

Hi Francois

I wonder if you wouldn't mind answering another question for me.  I wish to upload photos from my Nikon D700 photos via image capture on my Mac computer.  However I do not wish to import them immediately into Lightroom.  Would you know or perhaps someone may know  how I can set up a folder on my desktop?

One of the reasons for this is that I have inadvertently took photos in raw+jpeg and would like to delete the jpeg files completely before importing to computer hard drive/ pictures folder /Lightroom

thank you

Sue

Steve House

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 09:00:15 am »

One of the reasons for this is that I have inadvertently took photos in raw+jpeg and would like to delete the jpeg files completely before importing to computer hard drive/ pictures folder /Lightroom

thank you

Sue

In the Preferences setup, General tab, under Import Options, there's a check-box for "Treat jpeg files alongside raw files as separate photos."  Turn this on.  When you import from the camera's card, you should see both files side-by-side on the import page.  Simply uncheck the jpegs but leave the nefs checked.  This should import only the nefa into Lightroom.  No need to copy everything to a folder and manually delete the jpegs before importing.

francois

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 07:30:39 am »

Hi Francois

I wonder if you wouldn't mind answering another question for me.  I wish to upload photos from my Nikon D700 photos via image capture on my Mac computer.  However I do not wish to import them immediately into Lightroom.  Would you know or perhaps someone may know  how I can set up a folder on my desktop?

thank you

Sue

What I would do is:
1. Connect your camera/memory card and open Image Capture
2. Select the files that you want to import
3. Set the destination folder (can be located on your desktop)
4. Import

When you're ready to import your images in Lightroom
5. Drag the folder onto the Lightroom icon (either in the Dock or in the Application folder)
6. The LR import dialog will be displayed
7. Perform the import in Lightroom using the different parameters

Please, note that when you copy the files using Image Capture, you can either use a new folder on each import session or always copy the files into the same folder. In that case, when later importing in Lightroom you can select that folder (library module, left column) and use the Synchronize Folder command (it would replace point 5).

HTH

Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up