Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cambo WRS-1090 Compendium Hood  (Read 2064 times)

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
Cambo WRS-1090 Compendium Hood
« on: May 03, 2012, 08:01:39 pm »

I've been happily using a Cambo WRS since the Fall of 2008.  During this time I've tried a few things that just didn't work for me and one that did.  I added a set of wood grips about a year ago and found it not only made the camera look better it helps gripping it.  Now Cambo has introduced what I believe is the second best improvement - a compendium hood which is supposed to be a one-size fits all; from the widest to the longest offering enough shading without vignetting.

My friendly FedEx visited me this morning an brought with him a package from my buds at Capture Integration containing the newly released WRS-1090.

The 1090 fits onto the hotshoe of the WRS via a small adaptor.  The rest of the hood is supported by two length adjustable rods with the shade collar fitting over the lens opening and the rear fitting against the lens bumpers. 

I had to try it out and the images here are the result.  The lens is the Schneider 35 with CF.  I'll be leaving for Jackson Hole WY late next week and will give it a full field trial using my 35, 72 and 120 lenses. 

So far I'd have to say this was worth every penny spent.

Don

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
Re: Cambo WRS-1090 Compendium Hood
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 08:02:41 pm »

And two more images...

Don

ced

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 07:11:30 am »

Don is there enough room there when you start tilting?

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 12:12:54 pm »

I can't directly answer that question as I don't have a tilt lens.  However from others who do and have tried the prototype the answer seems to be that it still works well.

Don

skimasks

• http://www.justinpoulsen.com
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 03:50:44 am »

I happily use a lee wide angle hood on my wrs1000. I think I might have more accessibility to the shutter/tilt mount on my lens. Is this an issue for you?

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 02:44:35 pm »

Granted I've only had the new hood 2-days and have no real-world experience using it I'd still say it's good. (Real-world meaning standing in the middle of a field or besides a river bank.)

I've tried the hood on my SK 35mm and found I have more than enough room to control the lens.  I got a big surprise yesterday when I attempted to use it on the 72mm.  The bumpers are just too large and ended leaving a gap of approximately 1-inch from the lens opening and the hood collar.  Took the bumpers off and it fits and works great.  Again more than enough room to work the lens control.  I test fitted on the 120 and it seems to work just as well as the 35mm so no problems with the bumpers.

I can't advise to the tilt as I don't have that lens board.  I did do a very quick down and dirty test on the 72mm center then 10mm shift and do problems.

Don
Pages: [1]   Go Up