Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: first post here!  (Read 7555 times)

Abbye

first post here!
« on: May 03, 2012, 01:37:08 pm »

hello everyone, i'm a photographer from vancouver bc, and am looking for some comments and critiques on my images so i can improve.

i figure i might as well start with an image for critique,  i took this shot at the beach the other day and am overall happy with the image, but am interested in what i could do to improve it.
thoughts?

this was shot with a 10 stop filter, as well as a lee 0.9 and 0.6 GND filters to balance the exposure of the sky.
4 minute exposure

kits beach by hippy_henna, on Flickr

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: first post here!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 01:50:21 pm »

Wow!!! First time posting and I can not find anything to criticize!? Coming from me, it must be a compliment ;)

Anyhow... nice capture, lovely atmosphere and subdued tonalities... well done!

P.S. Ok, I have to stay true to myself after all and ask this: is the horizon uneven or the land naturally slopes to the right?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 02:59:01 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 02:56:41 pm »

I agree with Slobodan. It's an accomplished shot of a beautiful place but it would look even better with a level horizon.

Welcome!

Jeremy

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 03:55:05 pm »

Really nice. Wish I'd done that.
Critique? The lighting doesn't quite hang together for me: the foreground seems a little bright for the rest of the picture; the water and sky are each beautiful, but almost seem to come from different pictures.
Just my opinion, it is a fine contribution.
Scott

Abbye

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 10:49:00 pm »

thanks guys!  guess i'll have to pay closer attention to the horizon line :P

sdwilsonsct, thanks for the thought, i do sometimes have a tendency to use to strong of filters

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 02:50:57 am »

What Slobodan said.

francois

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 05:20:51 am »

Beautiful, I fully agree with previous comments.

Welcome!
Francois

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 02:01:39 am »

Hi There, and welcome to the list!  Sloped horizons are easy to correct in something like LR or PS.  Actually, with the WA lens you used there's a slight curvature to the horizon and this could also be corrected in post.  I agree with Scott about the lighting, and I don't much like that 'square' shadow just above the rocks, on the right side, which looks an awful lot to me like a camera sitting on a tripod.  Cameras see Everything.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 04:45:59 am »

Is it just me or is the horizon not only non-horizontal but also a bit barrel-distorted?
Great image otherwise.

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 04:48:35 am »

Is it just me or is the horizon not only non-horizontal but also a bit barrel-distorted?
Great image otherwise.

Or the top section from another file?

Rob C

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 05:02:06 am »

Welcome to LuLa, you'll have to be aware that there are horizon pedants on this site. Treat them with the contempt they deserve.

Cheers,
Tom Brown

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 06:57:42 am »

Welcome to LuLa, you'll have to be aware that there are horizon pedants on this site. Treat them with the contempt they deserve.

Cheers,

Exactly! Switch off the guide lines, throw away the grid screen and do your best to make lousy images! Or at the very least, give your viewers a headache.

Tom you have got to be kidding!

Rob C

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 10:41:25 am »

Welcome to the list Abbye. Hope you stay and not post a photo or two and vanish as a lot of posters do since your Flikr page has some nice seascapes.

I'm afraid I'm not too keen on this composition though. The rocks seem too cramped in the bottom of the frame for me, with the resultant lack of cohesion between the background and foreground.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 11:14:07 am »

Okay, I have decided that it is time to crank up the critique section a notch or two. The responses I have read lately make me physically sick. Don't worry Abbey, it is not your image specifically (and welcome to the forum obv). I am presuming that if you post here, that you want constructive suggestions, so I will try to do my best to add suggestions and alternatives to my points of comment.

Who am I to comment. Well, nobody, but I believe that I may have enough credits on this forum to at least trigger the more knowledgable people to contribute. So, hopefully for you they will respond on these points of discussion.

I have attached your image with some lines roughly drawn along the lines noticeable in the image. These lines depict edges of contrast or repeating objects and can help to understand how a viewer might dissect the image consciously or subconsciously.

And here is what I see:

1. Lacks subject. There is no landscape of note, the silhouette in the background is obviously not interesting enough to stand on its own. The boulders aren't explicitly interesting and placed horribly in the frame.

2. Objects fall off the frame, they are not embedded in the frame, there is no space to breath. Position of objects could be more balanced. This image needs much more space to the left, and either some at the bottom, or less at the bottom and right.

3. Nothing of interest is happening, either in the image, between the lines or on the intersection of the lines. Intersection of the lines generally seem to fall outside the frame, but there is no hint of something interesting happening there either. To elaborate on that: think about an audience staring intensely at something outside the frame. The staring audience and emotions on their faces may itself be the intrigue of the image, even though the actual event may not be depicted...

4. Movement in the frame has no function. The movement in the clouds and in the water appears to mean nothing and therefore do not contribute anything to the atmosphere or mood of the image. Either more movement is required with a sense of direction, or less. More movement could for example depict the incoming or receding tide which alludes to the passing of time creating an interesting "juxtaposition" with a "timeless" landscape.

5. As noted, the horizon is slanted and distorted. You should definitely take care of those type of details because it could easily be mistaken for sloppiness which isn't thoughtful towards a viewer that you want to engage. In other words: if you want your audience to take a more thorough look at your picture, it is your prerogative if you will, to at least try to be thorough in your execution of capture and reproduction.

Because of the points above, the image to me tends towards an image from the well known sunset genre. You think you captured a nice image, but you only captured what is generally considered to be nice colors.

Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 01:07:36 pm »

WHAT!!!???

Rob C

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2012, 01:45:54 pm »

WHAT!!!???

Well, there isn't a tree...
That I can see.

;-)

Rob C

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2012, 02:12:23 pm »

I like to think of myself as a reasonably bright chap but I have no idea what opgr is on about. I'll bet he could write a cracking artist's statement, though.

Jeremy

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2012, 02:44:18 pm »

Just turn their assertions into questions and see if you can answer them:
  • What's the subject of the photo?
  • Where's the balance in the composition?
  • What's happening in the photo? Is it interesting?
etc

Isaac, how about you answer them? We are afterall talking about a photo Abbye posted for comments, not comments about other people's comments.

Abbye

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2012, 02:50:33 pm »

Welcome to the list Abbye. Hope you stay and not post a photo or two and vanish as a lot of posters do since your Flikr page has some nice seascapes.

no worries riaan van wyk, i'll stick around :P

hahahahahaha this is very exciting, a heated debate!  i find often when i post things for critique, i get no critique.  so whether i agree with you all here or not, i think it always useful to try and look at your images from every point of view to improve.

opgr:  thank you for taking the time to really break down the image.  however the lines you drew on the image, showing the different lines of direction of subjects as they run through the image, are actually what in find so interesting about the image.    though the rest of the comments are quite valid.

and to everyone else......  i'll make sure to double triple check my horizon is straight before i post anymore images :P

Rob C

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2012, 10:19:43 am »

Your comment is a comment about a comment.

tom b made a comment about a comment.
Slobodan's "WHAT!!!???" was a comment about a comment.
kikashi made a comment about a comment.

Riaan, how about you suggest to them what they should be doing.

You mean, just as you have to Riaan?

Have all the other Moderators resigned, by the way?

;-)

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up