Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Samsung SyncMaster S27A850D  (Read 3176 times)

Samsung SyncMaster S27A850D
« on: May 02, 2012, 08:20:52 pm »

I had a chance to demo a dual setup of these over the weekend. Very impressive indeed and dare I say maybe a bit better than my Dell U3011. Some of that perceived improvement may have been the slight glossiness of the screen but it seemed to have more "pop" and contrast than what I have been working with for the last year. On the downside, the price point seems high for a 27" especially since PLS is supposedly cheaper to fab than IPS.

Phil Indeblanc

Re: Samsung SyncMaster S27A850D
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 12:40:51 am »

just because a screen looks impressive and appealing doesn't mean it is accurate. If you mean for general use...Suuuuure. If you mean for editing beware...I would avoid glossy screens unless you have a darkroom your working in(remove chemicals:-P

Even a slight back light will drive you mad with glossy screens.  I have lots of screens and I made sure they are all matte...even the big screen TV...never liked the glossy/mirror look.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Re: Samsung SyncMaster S27A850D
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 10:56:43 am »

The units I was able to demo had no glare or reflection that I was able to determine and this was a fairly well lit environment so that would have been an issue had they not been. Glossy is maybe not the right term. Maybe "pop or three dimensionality" that the Dell series I have used lacks. Plus the PLS technology seems every bit as good as IPS in viewing angles and color accuracy. The color never changes or shifts no matter where you are standing in front of these. Both monitors were calibrated with a Colormunki and the brightness was set correctly to my eyes (below 90-100). We'll be back at that client site in a few weeks, and I will run them through some more tests. Had I know about these when I got my U3011/U2711 I would have given them serious consideration.

Folks are always mentioning Dell, HP, Eizo, NEC, Apple, etc.. as capable photo editing and color accurate monitors but you never read about these particular Samsung monitors being as good as they appeared to me. It's hard even finding a review.
Pages: [1]   Go Up