Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Still life lighting book  (Read 2715 times)

jonathan.lipkin

Still life lighting book
« on: May 02, 2012, 09:22:58 am »

I'm teaching a course in the fall which will have some studio photography, and a section on tabletop still life shooting. Can anyone recommend a good book which specifically deals with lighting small still-lifes? I have plenty on lighting basics, and studio photography, but could sue one for them (and for me to brush up on) which deals with lighting. I may use Light, Science and Magic, but it might be a bit too techincal and would like something with examples.

TH_Alpa

Re: Still life lighting book
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 10:06:49 am »

Dear Jonathan,

If you are not afraid to have it in German, there is a superb book about stills lighting from a very good Swiss photographer, Dennis Savini.
He is a wonderful person to explain in easy words how things are done. I have run many workshops with him together, all about how to light stills (liquids, jewelery, etc ...).
Have a look at his work here:

http://www.srfo.to

The title of his (new) book is "Dennis Savini: Professionelle Studiofotografie"

Hope this helps.
BR
Thierry

I'm teaching a course in the fall which will have some studio photography, and a section on tabletop still life shooting. Can anyone recommend a good book which specifically deals with lighting small still-lifes? I have plenty on lighting basics, and studio photography, but could sue one for them (and for me to brush up on) which deals with lighting. I may use Light, Science and Magic, but it might be a bit too techincal and would like something with examples.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 05:36:16 am by TH_Alpa »

jonathan.lipkin

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 10:35:44 am »

ach du leiber, my german is  a bit non-existant, but the site is quite interesting.

Thanks for the suggestion.

abdulrahim62

• Omanfotoland
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 02:53:11 pm »

Hi,

I love this book " STILL LIFE and SPECIAL EFFECTS Photography".

I got it from Amazon and like it very much

alain

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 03:34:54 pm »

I may use Light, Science and Magic, but it might be a bit too techincal and would like something with examples.
But a book to have and remember...

You could add you're own examples.  Then you can make them close to the interest the students have.

paulmoorestudio

• http://paulmoorestudio.com
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 07:55:59 am »

I taught studio lighting a few years back and went back to the book which helped me understand product lighting when I started and it is
still a great reference book .. "the secrets of product lighting" or something like that by Gary Perweiler.. 80's style but the concepts
are the same, and a great starting point to understand studio lighting.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 09:05:30 am by paulmoorestudio »

jonathan.lipkin

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 09:53:48 am »

Paul - looks like an excellent book. I'm ordering a copy for myself, but it's out of print and don't think I can adopt it.

I am seriously thinking about the light science and magic text, but it's a bit wordy, and getting my students to read is like pulling teeth sometimes.

paulmoorestudio

• http://paulmoorestudio.com
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 11:51:53 am »

oh, you need something for the whole class..
I found an chalk board to make lighting diagrams helpful for lectures.. but spent 75% of the time doing hands on demos in studio.. more work than shooting a job!
good luck.

jonathan.lipkin

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 11:55:10 am »

Yeah - going to have to spend some time this summer setting up demos, etc. It always helps if they've done a bit of reading before class to have a place to start.
Pages: [1]   Go Up