Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 01 05 2012  (Read 3370 times)

Timo Löfgren

01 05 2012
« on: May 02, 2012, 07:19:14 am »

francois

Re: 01 05 2012
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 07:34:17 am »

Another image that you should be proud of…

Bravo
Francois

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 08:29:53 am »

I like the concept - but find it a little 'muddy' in the jpeg.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

popnfresh

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 10:14:26 am »

I really like this seascape, and I hate seascapes.   ;)

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 10:59:02 am »

Wonderful rhythm in the rocks, elaborated by their fractal nature, and echoed by the sky. Deceptively simple but engaging. Thanks for sharing.
Scott

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 11:07:15 am »

Ah! What a lovely repetition of the gentle cloud shapes in the rocks! Given that is the essence of this picture (at least for me, of course), I do not mind the slight "muddiness" Josh noticed, as it helps the shapes to stand out.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 12:29:15 pm »

Ah! What a lovely repetition of the gentle cloud shapes in the rocks! Given that is the essence of this picture (at least for me, of course), I do not mind the slight "muddiness" Josh noticed, as it helps the shapes to stand out.
I'm with Slobodan on this.

It's nice to have you back again, Timo!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Les Sparks

• http://www.ncsparks.com
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 12:36:27 pm »

Wonderful image.
Les

Tony Jay

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 02:48:03 am »

An intriguing image indeed!

Regards

Tony Jay

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 02:08:54 am »

Nicely done.  I saw the 'muddiness' referred to, but I'm sure that in a print it would be much better.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 11:42:18 am »

With my other post in mind, here are my points of discussion:

Why is it that you choose not to utilize the full DR in reproduction? Seems some of the intrigue in this image is supposed to be in the darkest tones. Obviously you would want those drawn as best as possible, no?

This image doesn't seem to be balanced well, both in tones as well as composition. I would much prefer the yellow lines to all point slightly downward where the sea would come into the frame slanted as it does now. That way there would be a balance between the right and left side of the composition creating a fishbone pattern.

The top and bottom of the image seem to be separated from the whole. The top is graduated over an impossibly small length and therefore appears very unnatural and unrealistic. As B&W the sunset sky will tend to go from lighter to slightly darker as you come closer to the horizon. Doing a similar change upwards looses depth.

The bottom of the image doesn't seem to contribute anything useful to the composition. It tries to balance the unbalance in the darker right side, but it can't due to lack of contrast. The additional red oval shows another emptiness in the image composition. The lines point towards it, but nothing happens there, if there was it wouldn't be balanced in the frame properly.

The boulder in the front is also slightly too close to the edge. Possibly changing the vantage point so that all the yellow lines point downward could also move that rocky bit to the side of the frame where it could be cropped partly.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 01:07:13 pm »

... here are my points of discussion...

WHAT!!!???

Timo Löfgren

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 01:19:30 pm »

With my other post in mind, here are my points of discussion:

Why is it that you choose not to utilize the full DR in reproduction? Seems some of the intrigue in this image is supposed to be in the darkest tones. Obviously you would want those drawn as best as possible, no?

This image doesn't seem to be balanced well, both in tones as well as composition. I would much prefer the yellow lines to all point slightly downward where the sea would come into the frame slanted as it does now. That way there would be a balance between the right and left side of the composition creating a fishbone pattern.

The top and bottom of the image seem to be separated from the whole. The top is graduated over an impossibly small length and therefore appears very unnatural and unrealistic. As B&W the sunset sky will tend to go from lighter to slightly darker as you come closer to the horizon. Doing a similar change upwards looses depth.

The bottom of the image doesn't seem to contribute anything useful to the composition. It tries to balance the unbalance in the darker right side, but it can't due to lack of contrast. The additional red oval shows another emptiness in the image composition. The lines point towards it, but nothing happens there, if there was it wouldn't be balanced in the frame properly.

The boulder in the front is also slightly too close to the edge. Possibly changing the vantage point so that all the yellow lines point downward could also move that rocky bit to the side of the frame where it could be cropped partly.

I think I'll sell the camera off!  ;D

Rob C

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 01:47:36 pm »

I think I'll sell the camera off!  ;D

Now you understand why I believe that all 'critique' is nonsense?

;-)

Rob C

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 09:29:25 pm »

What Slobodan said, but I'm glad to see Oscar doing serious critiques. I'm afraid we've all gone too far over to the "nice shot," and "+1" side. I've gotten in the habit of simply not commenting on stuff too blah to notice. None of us should do that.

As usual, Timo has turned in a splendid piece of work.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Roberto Frieri

• www.robertofrieri.net
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 03:48:57 pm »

I like this kind of composition and angle in landscape shots.
Furthermore you got a pleasant atmosphere and the black and white is so elegant.

amolitor

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 04:01:12 pm »

I agree with opgr on one point, the bottom of the frame doesn't seem to be pulling its weight. I think the image should end somewhere near the lowest rock. The business with the yellow lines? I'm not seeing it, I don't mind the "empty space" to the left at all, it feels to me like a nice negative space to balance the stone shapes right. I find the high contrast at the horizon line slightly distracting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up