Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: An Embarrassment of Riches: Followup Question  (Read 1491 times)

subrata1965

An Embarrassment of Riches: Followup Question
« on: May 02, 2012, 02:10:33 am »

I'm just curious to know when Mark Dubovoy will be using his Nikon D800 instead of MF technical camera for landscape photography. Is overall resolution gain (when required) of IQ180 over D800 will be the only factor in favor of MF technical camera setup he is having?

Subrata

michael

Re: An Embarrassment of Riches: Followup Question
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 07:48:43 am »

I'm not Mark, but since he's traveling and teaching this week, I'll take the liberty of replying.

These are different tools for different type of photography. For example, Mark and I are teaching a field workshop in Algonquin Park next week. The subject, along with landscapes, will be moose. This means long lenses. This also means stabilized lenses for when having to work hand-held. This also means light(ish) weight for hiking in the woods.

These are the types of shooting for which a technical camera with a high res back is totally inappropriate. Resolution and DR are secondary considerations, though one wants them to be the best possible given the other constraints. The D800 fits that bill. An Alpa with an IQ180 does not.

That's why some photographers own and use different tools.

Michael

neal1740

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 08:45:39 am »

Hi Mark Your photos and discussions are always great. What lenses did you take to South America? Thanks Neal

subrata1965

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 12:29:21 pm »

Michael, thanks for your response.

I agree with your points. Another situation could be night photography and low light situation where Phase IQ is not good and sometimes not usable at all.

Now for landscape photography, when would you prefer technical camera & IQ DB and NOT Nikon D800? Just interested to know your view point. If you write an article about it, that will superb!

Subrata
Pages: [1]   Go Up