Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: With so much attention on the D800 has anyone tried the 24 MP Nikon D3200?  (Read 13710 times)

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com

There was “A first look” article in the Washington Post about the D3200 that published on 4-19. http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/nikon-d3200-a-first-look/2012/04/19/gIQAvUGqST_story.html

There has been a lot of information about the D800 series recently, yet the 24 MP D3200 looks like a notably elevated “entry level” DSLR for a small fraction of the price of the mighty D800. In fact the D3200 it appears both very capable and extremely affordable.

I've called a few stores and these aren't in stock just yet.....perhaps by plan....

John Camp

Two years ago -- maybe one year ago -- this camera would be getting the attention that the D800 is getting now. I'd want to see some tests of the sensor before I bought it, but I expect it'll be very good. And the price is amazing.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page

I'm interested in it as a companion for my 300mm f4. The cropped sensor giving an effective 35mm equivalent image to a 450mm telephoto, makes it a better choice for many shots than my D700, and with extra pixels for further cropping if needed. Time maybe to sell on my old D200 back-up body

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com

My partner is planning to buy one. She can’t hardly go wrong with this choice. Only problem is that we haven’t found a vendor that has stock yet. Not surprising given that Nikon would be essentially shooting itself in the corporate digits to offer the mighty d800 but then, at nearly the same time, to offer about 75% of the megapixels in the d3200 for about 1/5 the cost of the D800.

At this rate, in another year or two it’s logical that the capabilities of the D800 will be packaged for around $600. And, no doubt the SOTA DSLR will be closer to 100 MP.

Moore's law in action.

Colorado David

This looks like a camera I could buy to keep in the Land Rover.  It shares the same battery with the P7000 so I don't have to buy more batteries. So far it doesn't appear to be available without the kit lens.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com

Only problem is that we haven’t found a vendor that has stock yet
This camera was scheduled to begin shipping this week, that's why there is not stock.  I haven't received an update as to this being delayed so they should start showing up any day now.

LKaven

I've heard this camera does not use the 24MP APS-c Exmor.  Does anyone know anything about the source and/or architecture of this sensor?

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net

Two things slow me down about the D3200...

1. No auto bracketing.  That's a show-stopper for me.

2. This sample photograph.  While this shot was probably pulled up a few stops out of the murk, it does not bode well for noise performance.  But admittedly there are quite a few other much nicer full sized shots on the same site.

Rob C

This looks like a camera I could buy to keep in the Land Rover.  It shares the same battery with the P7000 so I don't have to buy more batteries. So far it doesn't appear to be available without the kit lens.

If it could share the battery with the Land Rover...

Just thinkin'

Rob C

Rob C

I'm interested in it as a companion for my 300mm f4. The cropped sensor giving an effective 35mm equivalent image to a 450mm telephoto, makes it a better choice for many shots than my D700, and with extra pixels for further cropping if needed. Time maybe to sell on my old D200 back-up body

You're convinced you can find a buyer at a worthwhile price?

I tried to get a price for mine last year - the best I was offered was, if memory serves, around 300 quid for a camera that cost me about one-and-a-half grand euros.  Best keep it as a reserve reserve!

Rob C

Colorado David

If it could share the battery with the Land Rover...

Just thinkin'

Rob C

My Rover is new enough that are no Lucas parts.  Lucas, Prince of Darkness.   A three position switch from Lucas is Off, Dim, and Flicker. :D

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com

Two years ago -- maybe one year ago -- this camera would be getting the attention that the D800 is getting now. I'd want to see some tests of the sensor before I bought it, but I expect it'll be very good. And the price is amazing.

John, if the sensor in the D3200 is the same as the one in the NEX-7, as many of us suspect, have no fears, it is quite an improvement. I continue to be amazed at the shadow detail which can be pulled from a RAW file. I will admit to using Leica glass, but I use what I have :).

LKaven

John, if the sensor in the D3200 is the same as the one in the NEX-7, as many of us suspect, have no fears, it is quite an improvement. I continue to be amazed at the shadow detail which can be pulled from a RAW file. I will admit to using Leica glass, but I use what I have :).
Some people are saying that it's not a Sony sensor too.  Does anyone have any real information?

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography

I'm seriously considering selling my d300 and replacing it with the d3200 or d5100.  If I wait too long my d300 will only be worth a couple hundred dollars.  I'd really be curious to see how this matches up with the d800.  As a landscape person, I don't need auto focus or high iso (although MLU I would welcome). The new rule may be don't ever pay over $1000 for a camera body unless you absolutely have too.  I'd go with a d800 if I was convinced that I would find a significant improvement in my 14x21 inch prints but I'm not so sure I would find enough of an improvement to sell my dx lenses.  And this camera will be about half the price of a sony nx7.

BJL

My guess is that the sensor of the D3200 will spread to higher spec Nikon DX bodies later this year; call them D5xxx and D7xxx class. So those who want auto-bracketing, MLU, a higher frame rate, a more rugged body, or such might benefit from waiting a bit.

P. S. since Nikon (like Olympus) does not do all the design and fabrication of its sensors in-house, it (like Olympus) is often rather coy about the origins of its sensors, and the internet fills that information vacuum with all kinds of wild speculation, much of it flattered by the name "rumor". Since Nikon (again like Olympus) does do a significant amount of R&D on sensor technologies, as shown by patent searches, it could well be that the sensors used are variants of the core designs from Sony (respectively, Panasonic), but clues like the consistent closeness on pixel counts, pixel sizes and most performance measures suggests at least a close relationship to sensors from Sony (resp. Panasonic).

So why worry about the sensors' origins? The performance measures are both far more important and easier to learn.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com

This camera was scheduled to begin shipping this week, that's why there is not stock.  I haven't received an update as to this being delayed so they should start showing up any day now.

Some reports i read said they were going to ship around mid April but no one had stock.

No matter, we found one last night at the local Best Buy. The camera guy said the store received 4 of them Wednesday and all but the display were gone the same day.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com

I've heard this camera does not use the 24MP APS-c Exmor.  Does anyone know anything about the source and/or architecture of this sensor?

Is there any way to tell from the docs that came with the camera?

LKaven

So why worry about the sensors' origins? The performance measures are both far more important and easier to learn.

I'm interested in identifying new sensor designs and architecture.  When the D3x came out, it was my first introduction to the Exmor.  It did some surprising new things, and was a worthy object of study in itself it turned out.

I see with the Nikon 1 sensor, Nikon has adopted a new design, and I was wondering how much of that might get carried into the DSLR line. 

michael

I just received one for testing today. Battery charging.

Michael

BJL

I'm interested in identifying new sensor designs and architecture. ...
I confess: I am also curious about such things, as shown by my speculations on the subject.  The key words in my comment were "why worry". Or more to the point: let us have fun with this but not get into a heated debate like the recurring ones on sensor origins at a certain other website.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up