Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Organising photos with Capture One  (Read 17450 times)

pjtn

Organising photos with Capture One
« on: May 01, 2012, 04:29:10 am »

I've been really trying to wrap my head around Capture One, it's the biggest part keeping me from purchasing a Phase One camera system. The output is excellent but the user interface is somewhat confusing and over complicated.

As far as I can tell the library feature within Capture One is not for organising and storing photographs, how then do you do this? Do you organise in finder or do you have to purchase Media Pro as well?

Otherwise I would just use Lightroom, it seems though Phase One files don't support Lightroom very well though.

tived

• http://
Re: Organising photos with Capture One
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 04:36:24 am »

You will need Media Pro (Previously Expression Media, before that iView Media Pro) which is your DAM (Digital Asset Management) program from Phase1

Henrik

pjtn

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 04:54:46 am »

Hmm, that's a pain. Are there actually advantages to this over the simpler integrated approach of Lightroom?

Pics2

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 05:50:28 am »

I use PhotoMechanic and Adobe Bridge for organizing my photos. PhotoMechanic is the fastest software for that purpose as far as I know. I'm just not giving up C1 for Lightroom, since, for me, it does better job in raw conversion. Why do you need it so badly to have an "all in one" software?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 06:08:01 am »

There are obvious advantages if the program you use to manage your workflow displays your pictures' adjusted appearance, regardless of whether that program is integrated or separate. That need is fundamental to Lightroom's integrated design, and while PhaseOne's MediaPro still needs plenty of work, it can display images with their C1 adjustments. But it's always going to be difficult to carry off an "integrated but separate" line.

Scott Hargis

• Scott Hargis Photo
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 01:21:50 pm »

I've been using C1 for capture for a few weeks, and I'm not really sold at this  point. It's really badly laid out, and overly complicated in terms of how it organizes the images. All those folders...good grief. Then, the lack of any way to archive the RAW files with their adjustments is *almost* a deal-breaker.

But, there are some things it does really well, and I'm hanging in there for a while longer in part because so many great shooters use it...I'm assuming they know what they're doing and that I'll "get it" eventually!

For now, I'm doing one of 2 things. If I like the RAW adjustments I do in C1, then I output a TIFF and take that forward as my Master file for re-touching, and pretty much leave the RAW file behind. It (the RAW file) gets archived in Lightroom along with the TIFF, but of course anything I did in C1 is lost forever.
In other cases, I just take the RAW files that C1 captures and take 'em straight into Lightroom for adjustments, and go forward from there.

alain

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 03:11:54 pm »

Then, the lack of any way to archive the RAW files with their adjustments is *almost* a deal-breaker.
Have you tried to use EIP files?  Those are made to group you're RAW file with all "needed" adjustment files.

robgo2

• Robert Goldstein Photography
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 05:15:03 pm »

I've been using C1 for capture for a few weeks, and I'm not really sold at this  point. It's really badly laid out, and overly complicated in terms of how it organizes the images. All those folders...good grief. Then, the lack of any way to archive the RAW files with their adjustments is *almost* a deal-breaker.

But, there are some things it does really well, and I'm hanging in there for a while longer in part because so many great shooters use it...I'm assuming they know what they're doing and that I'll "get it" eventually!

For now, I'm doing one of 2 things. If I like the RAW adjustments I do in C1, then I output a TIFF and take that forward as my Master file for re-touching, and pretty much leave the RAW file behind. It (the RAW file) gets archived in Lightroom along with the TIFF, but of course anything I did in C1 is lost forever.
In other cases, I just take the RAW files that C1 captures and take 'em straight into Lightroom for adjustments, and go forward from there.

Can you please explain why you are unable to archive the raw files from Capture One with adjustments?  I do it all the time, simply by backing up the complete folder to another hard disk.  All of the adjustments make the journey.

Rob

Scott Hargis

• Scott Hargis Photo
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 05:20:28 pm »

Have you tried to use EIP files?  Those are made to group you're RAW file with all "needed" adjustment files.

Alain, thanks. I had to Google that one. I just did a test in which I "packed" a RAW file as an EIP, but Lightroom can't see it, so it can't be archived in a way that would let me find it later on. I don't need LR to be able to actually alter or even accurately display the file -- I just need to be able to see that it exists (via keywords), and where it is. Then, if I wanted to start over with new RAW adjustments, I could take it back into C1. Still baffles me that C1 wouldn't be able to create a DNG with C1-specific adjustment data, and a universal preview. Again, even if other programs couldn't access the adjustment metadata, it would be a huge step forward in terms of workflow compatibility.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 05:22:07 pm »

exactly!!!(I just want to see that it exists!!!!)- Scott

C1 is not designed to be a photo manager...
Nor is LR if you think about it, and actually want to use the "manager" side of LR.
I rather have that as a stand alone, as it SHOULD be in my opinion. No 1 program can handle such 2 different functions and needs...there is a short coming in any Raw dev that tries to "manage" This is why C1 is powerful..The folder structure is just as it is and "reality"! No cache data....Thats the job of a DAM/Manager that WILL see ALL image files and simply launches the app that you wish or is capable of handling...Simple!

So now ...Will Adobe or C1 license their converter to another software developer for being able to only READ the cookbook?

In my opinion a "photo manager" or DAM, should be able to see if a file is 8bit or 16bit, should see if its CMYK or RGB, Should be able to see PDF images, or at least have an option to hide or see if there are other files in a given folder...Why you ask(obvious to those that already know this)...To MANAGE!

Bridge crashes anytime I try and look at a different drive (at least when CS5 was fairly new).

ACDSee Pro or Manager is a powerful program, but has week network and week core in managing...now its focus is on being a RAW converter itself.(lame). They don't even share metadata or rating and many other hangups across Manager and Pro versions. Hello!
Though, a great app for all else and a great export options , easy to use (other serious apps can LEARN lots from the ease of use and functions/features.

IDImager looks powerful, but maybe too powerful/gotta learning curve...and without RAW view...is that curve and the app worth it and will it last in the tool kit?

Media Pro is clunky at best, and has core issues, and can't see a number of simple images, populates poorly. Beast to get going and then you see small limitations of how limited you are on export with specifics and watermarks etc.

Adobe LightRoom NEEDS to adapt to such a need..Specially when other images such as PDF, or Indesign, or Illustrator ARE the family software...

This RAW lock is not helping...At least a viewer needs to be h
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

robgo2

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 05:39:30 pm »

I think that a lot depends on your organizing needs.  If they are basic, then the Library in Capture One may be sufficient.  It simply parallels the structure of the Finder (on a Mac).  If you require more sophisticated DAM, then a cataloging program is the ticket.  I have been using Media Pro, with reasonable success.  It is not as fast or as smooth as I would like on my 5 year old MacPro, but it gets the job done, and it shares adjustments with C1.  There are a number of other cataloging programs, but I have no experience with them.  One advantage of stand alone DAM software is that it can easily be used with virtually any raw convertor or digital editing program.  In my own case, I use both C1 and Raw Photo Processor (RPP) for raw conversions, depending on the image.  I also use Photoshop a great deal.  All of this is readily managed by Media Pro.

Rob

alain

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 05:48:57 pm »

Alain, thanks. I had to Google that one. I just did a test in which I "packed" a RAW file as an EIP, but Lightroom can't see it, so it can't be archived in a way that would let me find it later on. I don't need LR to be able to actually alter or even accurately display the file -- I just need to be able to see that it exists (via keywords), and where it is. Then, if I wanted to start over with new RAW adjustments, I could take it back into C1. Still baffles me that C1 wouldn't be able to create a DNG with C1-specific adjustment data, and a universal preview. Again, even if other programs couldn't access the adjustment metadata, it would be a huge step forward in terms of workflow compatibility.

Make a complaint to Adobe that they can't handle EIP files.

Or take a look to a external DAM solution that works with those files.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 06:18:23 pm »

EIP was always a dead end. The last thing anyone needed was another file format.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 08:14:46 pm »

yes very true....Like in LR...I started working with it to edit the RAW and such, and then realized I'm stuck and all this Library deal with no where to go beyond the file itself...make a simple print straight from a RAW or TIF or Jpeg....Its a shame and waste of building such a Library with such limited options. I do agree, say a Travel shooter, or Fine Art shooter..No Doubt, it rocks..But production??!!!  Studio work? Commercial??!! It's a brick wall.

You mention how DAM's can work with all RAW files, but in reality..They don't Maybe you were ref to Media Pro and C1, and that is correct, as it is a Phase sw, and Bridge to ACR/LR files work. But no way Media Pro is going to show you ACR adjustments.

Is it impossible to have a DAM get licenses from Adobe or CaptureOne, (and other established RAW converters) to simply preview?

If this were possible, then there is no reason to have a Porsche 993 (DAM/Manager) fitted with Mud swamping tires and go off roading (Raw developing)!!!

robgo2

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 09:28:49 pm »

You mention how DAM's can work with all RAW files, but in reality..They don't Maybe you were ref to Media Pro and C1, and that is correct, as it is a Phase sw, and Bridge to ACR/LR files work. But no way Media Pro is going to show you ACR adjustments.

Is it impossible to have a DAM get licenses from Adobe or CaptureOne, (and other established RAW converters) to simply preview?

If this were possible, then there is no reason to have a Porsche 993 (DAM/Manager) fitted with Mud swamping tires and go off roading (Raw developing)!!!

What I meant was that I can directly open any file from Media Pro in any raw convertor or in Photoshop.  You are correct that the adjustments from one program will not be carried into another, but that is not the fault of the DAM software, is it?

Rob

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 11:10:08 pm »

no, not the DAM's fault...or really anyone to a point. A lack of understanding of Raw developers (Adobe,C1, other majors) and their shortcomings of building a DAM. If you haven't properly by now...Get out of the way of others and licnese the raw engine at LEAST for preview.

Bridge could be very good, but its not. It crashes, not network friendly, and has very novice features and GUI
ACDSee Pro could, but it fails for crashing with large files, and often switching drives. Also colors are way off (possible to adjust, yet to try)
IDImager...brief test run...looks strong
Media Pro, clumsy and lack of stability with many file type and its just kinda a mess with the issues, and the way to execute functions (it could learn PLENTY from ACDSee interface)

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 03:08:37 am »

Without being specific about Adobe or PhaseOne, licensing a third party raw converter for a DAM app is not impossible. A good example is that Extensis Portfolio used to display raw files via code licensed from Bibble. Two obvious problems though - it's not much help if the embedded raw converter isn't your chosen one, and two companies' release schedules/procedures can result in even more delay into supporting new raw file formats. OTOH, with DNGs the DAM only needs to have the ability to read the embedded thumbnails and previews and doesn't need to decode the raw data.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 08:02:54 am by johnbeardy »

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2012, 12:34:23 am »

Not a fan of DNG, but I see how it plays in this matter. Interesting.

Why do we not see a software progression in this direction...meaning, why are Raw devs trying to be such the DAM/Library/Image managers?  Bridge I think was a great idea, but has failed so often and with it crashing the second it sees a network drive is just not even in the discussion. Besides I really like what LR had in mind and the way you can make DB's for each client (as I do), but not supporting other images specially its own families, is just so Brutus!

I keep thinking IDImager, but that would be with seeing RAW adjustments :-)

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2012, 04:08:01 am »

Not a fan of DNG, but I see how it plays in this matter. Interesting.
The anti-Adobe crowd tend to see DNG in far too narrow terms.

Why do we not see a software progression in this direction...meaning, why are Raw devs trying to be such the DAM/Library/Image managers? 

Because Aperture and then Lightroom showed that's what a lot of photographers want/need. These apps didn't emerge because Photoshop was too complex for photographers - Elements already existed - or because ACR/Bridge wasn't working. The real problem was volume, which really impacted once digital capture became the norm, and so these apps are about combining processing in bulk and managing your collections. Wanting to get into this market lay behind Microsoft's purchase of iView MediaPro in 2006, when they outbid PhaseOne, and although they've lost a few years there is still plenty of potential in combining iView and C1. For my liking PhaseOne are a bit too wedded to keeping them separate, but it's a line that appeals to some folk, and the key is going to be making the two apps communicate very smoothly. ACR+DNG+iView worked brilliantly for me, but required a bit of thought and one or two simple maintenance tasks. PhaseOne have bought what is fundamentally a very good product, with the advantage of supporting whatever file types the photographer chooses rather than setting an arbitrary line like "no video because no camera shoots it", hm, or "no CMYK because you can't do anything with it" - er, manage it with the rest of your work? But they've a lot to do, and they're treading a fine line between wanting the C1-MediaPro to be seamless with mentioning the "integration" word.

FWIW I've always wanted LR to let me decide what files I want in Library, and have a mode to display embedded previews.

John

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2012, 11:28:59 am »

So glad you posted John...I surely hope C1 doesn't merge with MPro. I think MediaPro is powerful but I do run into trouble with it often enough that I put it on the side burner. And it's execution as well as GUI for certain functions is just clunky.
LR is rather polished, and it has "safety nets" (It doesn't crash..It comes up with ? marks for folders missing or such. It asks questions for functions before it executes. It give options. It even has a start intro on how to use it so you understand its thinking. This is Mature forward thinking...BUT it feels like its specifically aimed at the "Home fine artist". As if thats all anyone uses photography for?  Its as if design for the new rush and influx of SLR buyers that need RAW Dev and make family pictures of their kids, or raindrops on window macro novice shots?!! Ok, perhaps more than just that, but really leave all of production out.

LR says I will manage alllll your camera images...Just so you can see them, develop them, and send it off the way I made it for you to who I want. Your image shouldn't be used in other programs like Acrobat, InDesign, or anything else I don't want you to recognize. Further, I don't want you to know what any other imagefiles you may have in your folders.
.... ..and you don't need to know if its 16bit or 8bit, or CMYK or RGB.

ACDSee is still fast and easy to use. Yes it comes off as bit of a toy in some ways, Not always stable....and I wish they would make it network friendly and at least streamline the managing features at least across their ACDSee manager and "Pro". Oddly the manager alone is more a mature product than Pro, as it acts as jack of All. So they cripple it to sell Pro more...I don't like their business model. They were once inovative...now they run where the herd goes.

I'm really surprised how ACDsee or other DAM programs don't look at all the best features of, say LR, or Media Pro, and offer it as a DAM...Maybe IDImager is such ? But I have very limited experience with it and it has a learning curve, and I would be HAPPY to learn it if it had some RAW preview features. Time to give it a trial run!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up