Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Organising photos with Capture One  (Read 17448 times)

Pics2

Re: Organising photos with Capture One
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2012, 03:51:40 pm »

exactly!!!(I just want to see that it exists!!!!)- Scott

C1 is not designed to be a photo manager...
Nor is LR if you think about it, and actually want to use the "manager" side of LR.
I rather have that as a stand alone, as it SHOULD be in my opinion. No 1 program can handle such 2 different functions and needs...there is a short coming in any Raw dev that tries to "manage" This is why C1 is powerful..The folder structure is just as it is and "reality"! No cache data....Thats the job of a DAM/Manager that WILL see ALL image files and simply launches the app that you wish or is capable of handling...Simple!

So now ...Will Adobe or C1 license their converter to another software developer for being able to only READ the cookbook?

In my opinion a "photo manager" or DAM, should be able to see if a file is 8bit or 16bit, should see if its CMYK or RGB, Should be able to see PDF images, or at least have an option to hide or see if there are other files in a given folder...Why you ask(obvious to those that already know this)...To MANAGE!

Bridge crashes anytime I try and look at a different drive (at least when CS5 was fairly new).

ACDSee Pro or Manager is a powerful program, but has week network and week core in managing...now its focus is on being a RAW converter itself.(lame). They don't even share metadata or rating and many other hangups across Manager and Pro versions. Hello!
Though, a great app for all else and a great export options , easy to use (other serious apps can LEARN lots from the ease of use and functions/features.

IDImager looks powerful, but maybe too powerful/gotta learning curve...and without RAW view...is that curve and the app worth it and will it last in the tool kit?

Media Pro is clunky at best, and has core issues, and can't see a number of simple images, populates poorly. Beast to get going and then you see small limitations of how limited you are on export with specifics and watermarks etc.

Adobe LightRoom NEEDS to adapt to such a need..Specially when other images such as PDF, or Indesign, or Illustrator ARE the family software...

This RAW lock is not helping...At least a viewer needs to be h
You shouldn't forget PhotoMoechanic photo manager.
It is fast(with RAWs, too), convenient and reliable. I saw many newspaper and wire agencies using it exclusively.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2012, 04:10:33 pm »

Have they released their long-promised database version yet?

alain

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2012, 06:18:50 pm »

Maybe IDImager is such ? But I have very limited experience with it and it has a learning curve, and I would be HAPPY to learn it if it had some RAW preview features. Time to give it a trial run!
You're right that IdImager has a steep learning curve.  But it very powerful.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2012, 01:18:11 am »

Yes PhotoMechanic is a good one...Long time since I used it.

I had forgotten about it, as at one point it was Mac only if I'm not mistaken. Then I considered it, and somehow felt it was not for studio or client work.

But they are very good with support also.

I opted for ACDSee, as PhotoMechanic is written more for news agencies, as there is a sharing module, and a number of things that I can't remember, but it was LOCATION based, if I may say...geared for News, travel...

Some export features were iffy. As the last time I looked at it was a year or 2 ago
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2012, 05:02:35 pm »

See the NEW topic category, Digital Asset Management

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2012, 01:05:41 am »

johnbeardy -
EIP was always a dead end. The last thing anyone needed was another file format.

FWIW I've always wanted LR to let me decide what files I want in Library, and have a mode to display embedded previews.

Robgo2 -
One advantage of stand alone DAM software is that it can easily be used with virtually any raw convertor or digital editing program

Thank you!

Independent DAM is the way to go, with Media Pro I think you get the bonus of seeing C1 raw adjusts, as in LR you get to see ACR/LR adjusts.  Sadly LR is in the format of a manager, but with ONLY 3 and half formats it supports TIF, JPEG, RAW, and some PSD (compatible). No PDF, no PNG, no PSB, No others. SO its not a image or photo manager, it is a RAW and CAR/LR Raw manager, which is really limiting if you look at the potential I has with other formats.  But with this limitation being the 3rd most popular complaint for Photoshop/LR, it maybe a future upgrade(?) I honestly can't see why not...well until they get this slow speed and jumpy sliders worked out.

Like mentioned you can and should already have folders doing somewhat of organization of your files. at least the structure. Otherwise you will run into trouble when if you change apps, or access files from a different system. Not having this is just OK for a single user person that has 1 or 2 computers (License will limit this).  But that locks you into 1 DAM.

I agree that C1 makes a mess of folders. Anywhere you access via, it places the Captureone and all. I have learned to ignore it as much as possible.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2012, 05:23:05 am »

I am still using the former version of Media pro1 : Microsoft Expression Media 2 - (MEM2)

I am on Nikon and noticed that loading images is using more cores, so is faster than on Media Pro 1.

I allways liked the program (since iView media) a lot for its simplicity and flexibility- I do not need one large image bank.
Instead i use a mixture of filemaker pro- CD-finder and MEM2 to find and organize everything.

The problem of being a part of Phase one is that they are not interested in other raw formats other than their own.
For instance in the Nikon NEF a full size JPG is included - MEM2 nor Media Pro1  does not use it but start showing the RAW file instead- that takes time.
Only photomechanic and Nikons ViewNX are using the internal JPEG- that is why they are so much faster.
(photomechanic as well as ViewNX are not making catalogues btw)
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2012, 01:55:48 pm »

Odd how Media Pro went for the older structure of multi core to slower single! Bizarre!
I had the older MS ExMedia, but never got around to installing, and just did the upgrade jump to MediPro.

When you say "loading", what do you mean?

Some give you the option to DAMs give you the option of reading the embedded preview, and some don't. If you have a folder structure with backups in place and portability of your files isn't needed, The speed is the only reason cataloging makes use for. Except some applications as you mention PhotoMechanic, and I believe ACDSee, because it is so fast (even though it does create a DB of all), reads existing thumbs.

I'm not 100% if that is the problem of being "a part of Phase One". C1 is a raw developer originally designed for PhaseOne. It now supports other cameras as the processor was and in some ways "better" than what is out there (arguably). And Media pro is surely NOT limited to Phase One as it is more able in formats than many other Image or DAMs.  But I would agree that their core interest is internal, then applicable throughout.

There are 3 pivotal points in "ingesting" the image:  The capture, the process, and the managing/distribution of.
The capture is NOT the limiting factor, the process IS.  LR can process just about all(not older TIF PhaseOne files), but it locks that process, as C1 does, and ANY proprietary processor. This is the point of limitation, and since it is not 100% scientific(or is it?) the application of the process is variable and hard or not allowed to manage...As processing applications are not willing to give out or even sell cookbooks.

When I asked about licensing, Johnbeardy had the reply...
Without being specific about Adobe or PhaseOne, licensing a third party raw converter for a DAM app is not impossible. A good example is that Extensis Portfolio used to display raw files via code licensed from Bibble. Two obvious problems though - it's not much help if the embedded raw converter isn't your chosen one, and two companies' release schedules/procedures can result in even more delay into supporting new raw file formats. OTOH, with DNGs the DAM only needs to have the ability to read the embedded thumbnails and previews and doesn't need to decode the raw data.

Maybe once the cookbooks are licensed we would have easier management.  It would be revolutionary for a popular RAW processor to license out to a Popular or even new solid "superior"(this would be a mixed bag) DAM.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2012, 05:53:48 pm »

When you say "loading", what do you mean?
I mean importing the files into a catalogue.. btw I did not say Mediapro uses one core- i think they use two importers while MEM2 launches up to 9 importers- each that use up to 30-100% of the core- I have an 8 core macpro 2008

Some give you the option to DAMs give you the option of reading the embedded preview, and some don't. If you have a folder structure with backups in place and portability of your files isn't needed, The speed is the only reason cataloging makes use for. Except some applications as you mention PhotoMechanic, and I believe ACDSee, because it is so fast (even though it does create a DB of all), reads existing thumbs.
I know, but the way I work I like to make sub catalogues etc - i am used to the program and did not see enough improvements to switch.

There are 3 pivotal points in "ingesting" the image:  The capture, the process, and the managing/distribution of.
The capture is NOT the limiting factor, the process IS.  LR can process just about all(not older TIF PhaseOne files), but it locks that process, as C1 does, and ANY proprietary processor. This is the point of limitation, and since it is not 100% scientific(or is it?) the application of the process is variable and hard or not allowed to manage...As processing applications are not willing to give out or even sell cookbooks.
I have noticed a fast harddisk speeds up the process and a faster CPU. maybe Photomechanic managed by themselves to find a way to use the Jpeg inside the NEF-file or maybe the information can be found at Nikon, but remains unused… for there are so many raw formats..
I know that Nikon has made information public just how to trigger its cameras by wire- they even made an sdk.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 05:55:34 pm by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up