Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible to go back to RC1 from RC2?  (Read 3873 times)

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
Possible to go back to RC1 from RC2?
« on: May 01, 2012, 04:14:26 am »

the color shift/fade problems i'm having with rc2 are making me crazy...

CASpyr

• Online portfolio
Re: Possible to go back to RC1 from RC2?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 07:07:53 am »

the color shift/fade problems i'm having with rc2 are making me crazy...

I'd like to roll back to RC1 as well...for other reasons though (huge drop in responsiveness in the development module compared to RC1, strange adjustment brush behavior...)
However, it seems not to be possible. Posting the question on the Adobe Lightroom user forum didn't yield a single response. An extensive search for a source to download RC1 from again didn't turn up anything either.
I hope they're quick with the final version of 4.1, with the bugs ironed out.
Christian Spyr - cspyr.zenfolio.com

Remo Nonaz

• Photography By Homer Shannnon
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 08:06:51 am »

CASpyr:

I 'upgraded' to Lr4 RC2 over the weekend. I think I'm seeing the same thing you have complained about - severe degradation of the responsiveness in the Develop module. With just one adjustment brush added, the image became so slow in responding to clicks, I couldn't tell where I was anymore. Re-draw and re-size are particularly bad.

I shut down the system and rebooted it, which seemed to help. Interestingly, I saw a lot of this when I first loaded Lr4B but it settled down after a while and was not so aggravating. (Or did I just get accustomed to it? I've never heard of a 'break-in period' for software :D) At any rate, I'll leave it alone for now and hope that they get it fixed in the final 4.2 release.

If it does not settle down, I may be back to ask how to roll back to the 4.1 general release.
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 09:32:24 am »

Try trashing your preferences, any better?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Remo Nonaz

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 10:06:23 am »

Not sure what you mean by trashing - reset to default?
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 12:52:38 pm »

He probably means remove the preferences file(s) from diskā€¦ not doing anything in-app to reset them.

Remo Nonaz

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 04:20:59 pm »

I found this post about the preferences: http://lightroomers.com/replacing-the-lightroom-preference-file/745/ . It looks pretty simple.

CASpyr

• Online portfolio
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 02:57:17 am »

Thanks for the tip, but no, not really. The issue lies somewhere else. I had the impression it was picture-dependent, before it occured to me that the most annoying behavior was when I was working on a soft-proof copy with the adjustment brush. Veeerrry laggy (as in 3-5 secs for the screen to update for one step back in history of adjustment brush painting), and the red mask showed while painting (did I say very annyoing?).
But I'll need to investigate more, that was the result of playing around 15 minutes last night in a hurry.

Christian

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 03:04:50 am »

I tried and it didn't change the problem, Andrew...here's the link to the problem reported to the photoshop feedback forum...

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lr4_rc2_differences_in_rendering_in_library_and_develop_modules?utm_content=reply_link&utm_medium=email&utm_source=reply_notification#reply_8776310

so, any way to revert to older version of lr4?...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 04:52:36 am by Morris Taub »

Remo Nonaz

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 01:36:47 pm »

Adobe has a post that suggests uninstalling the problematic version and reinstalling the one you want. I'd be a bit worried about losing the data base doing it that way.

What would happen if you just reinstall the version you want; in my case the 4.1. Going from 4b to 4.1 was flawless - it kept the database intact and removed 4b. I would think just reinstalling any earlier version you want would work the same way.

CASpyr

• Online portfolio
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 03:16:36 pm »

Adobe has a post that suggests uninstalling the problematic version and reinstalling the one you want. 

That's exactly what I would like to do, go back to RC1...only problem is, I don't have a copy of RC1 anymore, and I have not found a place to download it from anymore. On the Adobe site, only RC2 can be found. I'd love to stand corrected, though...

Box Brownie

• Engram Photography
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 06:10:18 pm »

That's exactly what I would like to do, go back to RC1...only problem is, I don't have a copy of RC1 anymore, and I have not found a place to download it from anymore. On the Adobe site, only RC2 can be found. I'd love to stand corrected, though...

Found a linky over at Adobe forum http://forums.adobe.com/message/4372156#4372156

HTH :)
A collection of mine here http://500px.c

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 03:31:57 am »

Can someone explain how this would work, how to get rid of RC2 and re-install RC1?...

I do have LR3 still installed on my computer, do i need to start from scratch? I have LR4 disc so I could...

thanks...

ps. box brownie, thanks for posting the link...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 03:37:02 am by Morris Taub »

CASpyr

• Online portfolio
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 03:32:17 am »

Found a linky over at Adobe forum http://forums.adobe.com/message/4372156#4372156

HTH :)

I do stand corrected...happily, as I said.
Thanks a lot!
Let's hope that they get the next release right. It appears quite obvious that RC2 has its fair share of rough edges.

CASpyr

• Online portfolio
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 03:38:41 am »

Can someone explain how this would work, how to get rid of RC2 and re-install RC1?...

thanks...

First: make sure everything is backed up properly  :)
My first try will be to simply run the RC1 installer and see what happens. If it refuses to install over RC2 (which might well happen), the thing to do would be to uninstall Lightroom, reinstall LR4 and install RC1.

I have not tried this (will do so later today), it's just how I will approach this. Try on your own risk.

stamper

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 04:01:11 am »

I think that I am one of the "lucky" ones. Found no problems with the bought version of LR4 so didn't feel the need to try 4.1 RC and the update for that one. I will wait for the dust to settle and see how the final release behaves. I wonder how many tried the updates when there wasn't any real need?

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2012, 04:59:31 am »

First: make sure everything is backed up properly  :)
My first try will be to simply run the RC1 installer and see what happens. If it refuses to install over RC2 (which might well happen), the thing to do would be to uninstall Lightroom, reinstall LR4 and install RC1.

I have not tried this (will do so later today), it's just how I will approach this. Try on your own risk.

thanks for your ideas...but i'll have to wait a bit...the link for the first RC is for windows...I'm on a mac...
Pages: [1]   Go Up