Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dual NEC monitor calibration and problems with Spectraview.  (Read 2429 times)

Onslow

Dual NEC monitor calibration and problems with Spectraview.
« on: April 30, 2012, 06:56:53 pm »

Morning All,

In the next month or two, I am looking at upgrading my computer. A part of the upgrade thats concerning me though is the choice of monitor and graphics adaptor. I already have an NEC MultiSync LCD2690WUXi2. I wish to use this along with a new 30" NEC MultiSync PA301W. The graphics card I'm considering is the ATI PCIe FirePro V4800 1024MB PCI-E Video Card. The link to the card is here http://www.amd.com/us/products/workstation/graphics/ati-firepro-3d/v4800/pages/v4800.aspx. The setup will be in a Win7 64bit machine.

My question now is, Will this card support different calibrations at the same time for the two different monitors?

I am currently running a 2 monitor setup with the NEC and a Viewsonic VA2213wm run by an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260. The Viewsonic is calibrated with the Colormunki software to sRGB as I only use this for web work while I am doing PS on the other monitor. I use the NEC Spectraview software with my colormunki for calibration of the NEC. I use the Spectraview to calibrate the NEC to AdobeRGB and sRGB. I have read somewhere (and can't find the link) that this may be an issue with my current system and my proposed system.

At the ATI site, it says it supports independent monitors resolutions and refresh rates, but, does this also extend to independent calibration?

BTW, on a side note, my NEC has to have the controls locked out by the Spectraview software. If I don't lock them, at odd times and in front of me, (I have video) the brightness and contrast will suddenly zoom to 100% and ruin the calibration. When the monitor was around 3 months old, I returned it to the NEC service centre in Adelaide with video and a description of the problem. They had it for 4 weeks BEFORE looking at it and kept it running for another 4 weeks without the problem re-appearing. They said there's nothing wrong with it even with the evidence of the video. Since it's been returned to me, I find this problem appears at odd times. I was told by the service people that a circuit board may have been nudged in shipping and is no longer binding....! The monitor is just over 2 yrs old now. Also, at the bottom right of the screen is now a faint but noticeable smudge in the image.(not on the screen) It's in the image. It is especially noticeable if a plain colour is being displayed. When I spoke to the Tech guy, he told me they had forwarded on my video of the display changing by itself to the manufacturer for their input and they had no idea either...! Sounds a bit far fetched which contributes to my reluctance to send it in. It may be another 4 weeks before they even look at it.

I'm reluctant to return it after the previous service experience but was wondering if anyone else has had similiar problems.

I love the look of the image on the NEC which is why I'm now considering the 30" model.

Cheers

Onslow

WillH

• http://www.necdisplay.com
Re: Dual NEC monitor calibration and problems with Spectraview.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 11:24:30 am »

My question now is, Will this card support different calibrations at the same time for the two different monitors?

Since the calibration adjustments are all stored within the displays when using SpectraView, the video card LUTs are linear and thus irrelevant if all of the displays are hardware calibrated. So, Yes it will support multiple calibrations at the same time on different monitors.
Will Hollingworth
Senior Manager, Product Development
NEC Display Solutions of America, Inc.

Onslow

Re: Dual NEC monitor calibration and problems with Spectraview.
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 04:36:51 am »

Thanks for that, it's a shame no one can suggest anything re the problem with the existing monitor. Ah well. Hopefully, no one else has had this particular problem. :)

I appreciate your answer..... :)
Cheers

Onslow
Pages: [1]   Go Up