Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 9900/Paper Jams with Fine Art Sheet Paper  (Read 3682 times)

hubell

Epson 9900/Paper Jams with Fine Art Sheet Paper
« on: April 30, 2012, 11:45:29 am »

I am consistently getting paper jams with Letter Size Epson Hot Press papers, which I would like to use for test prints. Part of the problem may be that the paper is not perfectly flat as it comes out of ther box. Is there any way to avoid this by, for example, changing one or more printer settings?
Thanks.

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
Re: Epson 9900/Paper Jams with Fine Art Sheet Paper
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 12:31:33 pm »

I've used quite a bit of Epson Hot Press Natural in letter and 17x22 sizes on a 7900 with no problems at all. I'm not doing anything special, just selecting the correct paper in the driver as usual. Doing that should automatically set all the printer parameters correctly. I'm not sure what you mean by "jam". Does the printer not load the paper correctly, or do things get screwed up later while printing?
- Dean

john milich

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 12:37:35 pm »

funny, i had the same problem this weekend using epson ex fiber, new box.  ended up reverse curling each sheet a bit to keep the paper edge from smacking the guide when trying to align.  Kept getting the message to basically "see instructions for proper paper loading." HA!  bought a de-roller to do it more properly, but have not tried it

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 01:36:02 pm »

I forgot to mention earlier that the Epson hot press sheet papers I've had, and Exhibition Fiber sheets for that matter, have always been very flat. Flatness is one reason I use sheet paper whenever possible - including the 24"x30" size EEF sheets. It'd be pretty disturbing to have to use a D-roller  on these. FWIW, I got a D-roller to uncurl prints on roll paper and it does not work well on anything but cotton rag papers, which don't hold such a stiff curl in the first place. On alpha cellulose papers (like EEF and Ilford GFS) the D-roller leaves its own permanent "wave" in the paper at intervals equal to its circumference, apparently from the leading edge of the sheet. I think it's because the diameter of the D-roller is way too small. These waves aren't severe, but in alpha cellulose they are permanent. I think the structure of the paper is crushed or damaged. If you're only dong the leading edge and not making a full 360 degree wrap, it's probably fine.
- Dean

hubell

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 02:15:13 pm »

I've used quite a bit of Epson Hot Press Natural in letter and 17x22 sizes on a 7900 with no problems at all. I'm not doing anything special, just selecting the correct paper in the driver as usual. Doing that should automatically set all the printer parameters correctly. I'm not sure what you mean by "jam". Does the printer not load the paper correctly, or do things get screwed up later while printing?

The sheet gets stuck in the printer as it tries to load and I get an error message. I have to first press  the platen release button and then open the front of the printer and pull the sheet out. I think the problem is the size of the paper combined with the curl. With a manual load of a cut sheet, the printer moves the sheet down and then back up before it is "Ready" to print. With a small size like Letter size, the top of the sheet can catch on something on the way back up if it is curled. It must be the curl because I don't have the problem with bigger sheets of Hot Press or Letter size sheets of Premium Luster that are not curled.

hubell

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 02:18:29 pm »

I forgot to mention earlier that the Epson hot press sheet papers I've had, and Exhibition Fiber sheets for that matter, have always been very flat. Flatness is one reason I use sheet paper whenever possible - including the 24"x30" size EEF sheets. It'd be pretty disturbing to have to use a D-roller  on these. FWIW, I got a D-roller to uncurl prints on roll paper and it does not work well on anything but cotton rag papers, which don't hold such a stiff curl in the first place. On alpha cellulose papers (like EEF and Ilford GFS) the D-roller leaves its own permanent "wave" in the paper at intervals equal to its circumference, apparently from the leading edge of the sheet. I think it's because the diameter of the D-roller is way too small. These waves aren't severe, but in alpha cellulose they are permanent. I think the structure of the paper is crushed or damaged. If you're only dong the leading edge and not making a full 360 degree wrap, it's probably fine.

I agree about the D roller. It left waves in some large prints that I had made on Canson Baryta Photographique. That paper is quite stiff and has a lot of curl.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 04:07:16 pm »

A little reverse curl might be the only way.  Are you loading it by setting it in position then hitting the down arrow or are you opening the platen and then holding he paper in place down in the printer?

hubell

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 05:51:36 pm »

A little reverse curl might be the only way.  Are you loading it by setting it in position then hitting the down arrow or are you opening the platen and then holding he paper in place down in the printer?

The former, Wayne. That's the way I have always loaded cut sheets with no difficulty until I started working with small sheets of fine art paper.

PatrickAllen

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 12:03:28 pm »

We also have this problem with the 9900 and heavier weight cut sheets. If they have the slightest bit of curl they will either hit the bottom part of the printer on the way down or the top part of the printer on the way up. I feel like its a design flaw and these gaps should have been made wider. We reverse curl the sheets by hand. We also have a D-Roller that we use for roll paper after the image has been printed and have not had any problems with it.

Best,
Patrick Allen
KenAllenStudios
PatrickAllenPhotography
Pages: [1]   Go Up