Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Valley aspects  (Read 4275 times)

sdwilsonsct

Valley aspects
« on: April 30, 2012, 10:51:52 am »

Three approaches to a valley. Thanks for looking.
Scott

Enda Cavanagh

• http://www.endacavanagh.com
Re: Valley aspects
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 11:09:30 am »

Hi Scott
Very nice images. I like the 3rd image the most. Very nice graphic forms but all the images appear soft and out of focus to me.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 03:55:21 pm »

Very nice! Light, shape and form in their essence.

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 09:39:16 am »

Thank you Enda and Slobodan, very encouraging.

Yes, Enda, these are handheld autofocus in cold (-16) and wind. I need to get back on a calmer day and do a better job.

Scott

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 06:00:00 pm »

I appreciate the feedback, Isaac. I am also uncertain about the lack of a main focal point in "Side valleys 3".
Scott
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 06:02:16 pm by sdwilsonsct »

churly

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 09:42:02 am »

Scott - I like the strong graphical qualities of all of the images They are well seen.  My immediate reaction was to the softness but on looking back I think it actually works in this case.  For me the converging diagonals in #3 offer an effective focal point without detracting from the overall graphic quality.  I like what you are working on with these.

Chuck

Chuck Hurich

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 11:59:51 pm »

Thanks, Chuck. Glad you and Enda liked #3. I nearly excluded it thinking it relatively boring but I also like how the lines converge.

I am a little puzzled that softness is so easy to see in these smaller jpgs. I assumed that a reasonably sharp original couldn't get any softer when made smaller... ?? I appreciate the input.

Scott

Enda Cavanagh

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 04:09:17 am »

Ya when you size down images you always need to sharpen. You should have your finished TIF file once you are happy with your editing. This should not be sharpened however. Than every time you print it at a certain size or resize it for web use or whatever, than you save it as and sharpen it at that size. If your originals were sharp than that could explain why they are soft. If that is the case than you can just re upload the and replace the ones you have here.

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 02:33:37 pm »

every time you print it at a certain size or resize it for web use or whatever, than you save it as and sharpen it at that size.

Thank you for this insight, Enda. I learn so much here.

This approach worked well for two of the three shots. "Side valleys Sh 1" seems to be just too fine-grained. I post the sharpened jpgs for the benefit of others as green as me  :).
Scott
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 02:38:39 pm by sdwilsonsct »

Enda Cavanagh

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 02:52:44 pm »

Ya they are definitely sharper but I think there is still some softness there. Like you said it was probably down to the wind. Looks like a repeat visit is on the cards  ;) Although I would say a winter visit would work best. I think it works well the way you see the dark forms of the exposed branches.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 06:00:49 am by Enda Cavanagh »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 08:37:14 pm »

It's an excellent set as it is, but Enda is right. You should go back in similar weather but with a sturdy tripod and get the technically best shots you can. These are well worth the extra effort, IMHO.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Kerry L

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 10:46:33 am »

Very nice Scott. A return visit would certainly be worth while. Not only with the snow but throughout the other seasons. I like the many greens as the trees start to bud out and the grasses come alive.

I find the dark wedge in the second image almost with out substance (on my monitor, of course.)

I do enjoy viewing your posts, Thanks!
"Try and let your mind see more than you

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 06:35:33 pm »

Thank you Eric and Kerry.

I see a little structure in the dark wedge. If I lighten it, that slope contains a light dusting of snow, like the other images. In the shade, however, the snow is very blue, and this sends the whole picture somewhere else, so I have left it dark in order to emphasize form without adding another colour.

Scott

John Cothron

• Cothron Photography
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 07:00:10 pm »

I really like #1, great lines and forms.
John
Flickr

Kerry L

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 07:54:09 am »

I see a little structure in the dark wedge. If I lighten it, that slope contains a light dusting of snow, like the other images. In the shade, however, the snow is very blue, and this sends the whole picture somewhere else, so I have left it dark in order to emphasize form without adding another colour.

Scott

Yes I see how the weight of the wedge dominates the image. You might want to try to match the wedge to the area across the top and warm it slightly. As you say it will look odd it the wedge is too light and adding another colour detracts from the simplicity of form.
"Try and let your mind see more than you
Pages: [1]   Go Up