Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Rings or flip locks on tripods ?  (Read 7068 times)

larkis

• My photography blog
Rings or flip locks on tripods ?
« on: April 29, 2012, 12:08:33 pm »

I have noticed that most high end tripods have tightening rings instead of flip locks on the legs and was wondering what the reason for that is. I find the rings generally harder to use because it's hard to visually tell when they are locked vs open. I assume there is a good reason not to use flip locks (they can inadvertantly act like a hook ?) if all the high end tripods go with the tightening rings but I would like to hear some pro's and cons for each system.

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
Re: Rings or flip locks on tripods ?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 12:33:34 pm »

Boils down to personal preference.  I have had both and prefer the twist locks, but your experience and preference may vary.  The bottom line choice might boil down to the locks which happen to be on the brand on tripod you prefer, although the type of locks probably would go into that decision.  Note: I have had both fail, so longevity probably shouldn't factor into your choice...

bobtowery

• Antarctica 2016
    • http://bobtowery.typepad.com
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 01:16:49 pm »

Definitely a personal preference thing. I first went with twist locks (i.e. gitzo). I found that a) you can't do them one handed and b) you pinch your skin a lot.

After my gitzo broke in a very small fall, and they refused to replace it, I went with Manfrotto. Very much prefer the flip locks.

I think the only drawback is if you are the kind of person that does bushwhacking. The flip locks are going to collect weeds and stuff.

Bob
 ht

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 02:16:51 pm »

I find the rings generally harder to use because it's hard to visually tell when they are locked vs open.

Umm that is one reason why you have a sense of touch. Use your hands.

a) you can't do them one handed

I don't generally have a problem using one hand to tighten or lossen a ring type lock.

b) you pinch your skin a lot.

Never, ever, in 30 plus years of using a tripod, had that happen.

The big  advantage, for me, of using collars over levers is that it is easier to adjust tension on a collar lock if I am making small adjustments in leg length.

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 03:30:17 pm »

I have used both but love the ring locks on my gitzo: I grab all the locks on one leg and twist them open with one hand in one movement, and then pull out the leg. Fast and easy. Same for locking the collapsed leg.
Scott

larkis

• My photography blog
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 06:40:30 pm »

I find the rings generally harder to use because it's hard to visually tell when they are locked vs open.

Umm that is one reason why you have a sense of touch. Use your hands.

Using the hands is still not a visual indicator if the legs are locked or not. Interesting point about the tension adjustment though.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 07:48:58 pm »

Problem with flip locks is the tightness varies with temperature.  Shooting in the cold may require an adjustment, but you might not know it until it's too late and the leg slips.

Twist locks are certainly more secure.  I have no problems with them, and although I get pinched occasionally, any tripod can pinch if you have some fleshy skin in the way when closing the legs.

Personally I think the twist locks can be tightened enough to result in a more rigid and solid leg.  I have nothing to base that on other than using a manfrotto for a few years, now only using a gitzo -  so certainly might be my imagination.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 09:20:59 pm »

I have several tripods that use one or the other. I prefer the twist locks over the flip levers. They are easy to use and more secure. My flip lock tripods are always needing the locks tightened with a wrench.

The only tripods that have pinched my hands are the lever locks, and I have yet to be able to open or close any tripod one-handed no matter what sort of locking system it had. (There was that odd Bogen tripod years ago with the central locking lever that released all three legs at the same time, but I don't think it's made anymore.)

Anyway, it's all personal preference.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Glenn NK

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 11:46:10 pm »

Our winter isn't often terribly cold, but my fingers still get a bit stiff or numb.  I found that quite often with the lever locks, my fingers would get bruised with the levers.  Not so with twist locks.

Another problem with the levers is that I had to keep adjusting them for two reasons:  a)  as the temperature changed, so did the tension on the lever locks (the coefficient of expansion for aluminum is not the same as for plastic).  b)  the diameter of the aluminum legs is not always constant, and while the lock may be tight when fully extended, it would often slip at an intermediate position.

The twist locks take very little torque to keep them from slipping, and of course never require adjustment with a wrench or screwdriver (actually every time you use a twist lock, you are adjusting it).

Unfortunately, my Explorer has lever locks to position the angle of the legs. ;)

G
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 11:13:24 am »

It really is like others have said, personal preference. I have Gitzo 3 and 5 series tripods and love the twist knobs. I messed up an earlier Gitzo traveler tripod because its possible to loosen it too much (idiotic I know but oh well) and then the will come off, which I guess is a danger.

Whenever I borrow friends Manfrotto's its always a pleasure but never feels as sturdy with the flip locks, at least with the twists, I know I can ensure its tight through my own effort.
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

sbay

• http://stephenbayphotography.com/
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 11:29:29 am »

Prefer twist locks. My flip locks loosened on me and I didn't have an allen key with me to tighten them (one less thing to remember to take).

theguywitha645d

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 12:39:12 pm »

I have Gitzo and Manfrotto tripods. I prefer flip locks. I find them faster, easier to adjust leg height, and more secure.

Ellis Vener

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 01:11:59 pm »

Not all flip locks and not all collars are equal. I think the "visual confirmation argument is bogus unless you are referring to the kind of flip locks where the lock is snug against the leg -and then, based on experience I wonder about how secure they actually are. Testing the tension with your hands beats making a visual estimation and forming an opinion based on the estimate but most of you probably think I am from the "belt and suspenders" generation of photographers and you'd be right about that.

bobtowery

• Antarctica 2016
    • http://bobtowery.typepad.com
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 03:04:22 pm »

Prefer twist locks. My flip locks loosened on me and I didn't have an allen key with me to tighten them (one less thing to remember to take).

Interesting. I have never had my locks loosen up (I have two Manfrotto CF tripods, one is probably 8 years old). But I'm not an every day shooter. Perhaps a working pro daily shooter issue?
Bob
 ht

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 04:58:35 pm »

Question answered! I think we can  conclude, without a shadow of doubt, that some people prefer rings and some people prefer flip locks and that both groups are right.

Jeremy

Ellis Vener

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 05:34:46 pm »

Question answered! I think we can  conclude, without a shadow of doubt, that some people prefer rings and some people prefer flip locks and that both groups are right.

Jeremy

Next up: Guinness  draft or in a bottle?

JonathanRimmel

• jonathanrimmel.com
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 06:25:36 pm »

I strongly prefer the flip locks for their ease of use. Setting up and tearing down a tripod with these locks is sooo easy. But most of the tripods I have been eyeing up have the twist locks. Certainly the twist locks are more secure (won't accidentally unlock them).  I think it would be good to have one of each type. Twist locks for landscape work or still life is just fine. But if I have to do anything where people are waiting on me, I don't want my gear slowing me down.

urbanpicasso

• davidbogdan/urbanpicassostudios
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 06:58:49 pm »

Next up: Guinness  draft or in a bottle?

They both go fast with a bit of Bass!! ::)    whoops I mean ring locks.

db
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 07:03:48 pm by davidbogdan »

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 07:38:50 pm »

ergonomically I prefer flip locks, but every flip lock tripod I ever had broke at the flips or collars.  the twists variety has never failed me, but a couple of pinches to remind me how to do it...

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 04:07:39 am »

Next up: Guinness  draft or in a bottle?
No, that's a silly question and I refuse to waste time even discussing it  :).

It's got to be draught. The cans with the widget that aerate the drink are acceptable, at a pinch. Of course, it must be only very slightly chilled; if you drink the "ice-cold" stuff, it really doesn't matter where it comes from.

Jeremy
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up