Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ARW Nex-7 files are cropped by Camera Raw 6.6, Image Data Converter and others?  (Read 11274 times)

Jorge Recio

There is a weird and annoying thing that it's happening processing my ARW files from de Nex-7:

-processing with Camera Raw 6.6 and 6.7 beta the original whole image is cropped above and bellow. 24.7 Mb files are converted to 20.3 Mb files. There is a lot of lost information

- Image Data Converter (the very ackward Sony software to do it) and others third party software like DxO Optics Pro seem to crop images at width, at left and right, vertically. The file info of Image Data Converter says that ARW files are 6000 x 4000 pixels, while Camera Raw 6.6 and 6.7 plugin says that image converted is 6000 x 3000

Would be there any Camera Raw 6.6 configuration to fix this? Neither Photoshop nor Image Data Converter are showing me the actually whole image I shoot.

The first attached image shows the Camera Raw 6.6 working. The second one shows what the Image Data Converter does to the same image.

Any help?

Thanks in advance

Robert55

Can't reproduce this in either CS5 [ACR6.6], CS6 [ACR6.7] or LR [RC2].
Don't understand how that could happen, but maybe you are using a preset that ceops.
What do you see when you click on the crop tool in ACR?

Jorge Recio

I don't use the crop tool at this stage. I prefer to do it (if I have to) with Photoshop tools and views. But I don't know if there is any preset that determine this unwished cropping, and if I can change it.

Guess this issue is like the accuracy between the viewfinder and the film image in the old cams...

At this point one miss the accuracy of an old Leica M3.

Solving this, and I hope the accuracy between the nice Nex-7 viewfinder and the sensor would be very high, a great RAW software is like a great old enlarger, it should illuminate the whole image in a great way of colors, sharpness, clarity and light. The WHOLE image that is in the sensor, like a great enlarger does it with a negative film.

This is may be a very big challenge for software developers, because the large number of manufactures and very new sensors.

Or is there an easier way to solve this deceiving gap?

By the way, my great Leica D-Lux 3 doesn't have this problem.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 10:45:01 am by Jorge Recio »

Robert55

Yet it must be something in the way you've set things up. My shots in their original state for the NEx-7 are 6000*4000, as they should be. As your shots processed in the Sony software also show the correct number of pixels, it must be in the way you are using ACR

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com

Have you tried Resetting the Camera Raw Defaults? Sounds like there is something screwy going on there.

Open the image in camera raw. Click the tiny, secret drop down menu in the name bar of the process tab, and choose Reset Camera Raw Defaults (see pic). Might help -- hope so, anyway.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Jorge Recio

Thank you both, Robert and K.

And yes, you're right, there is something messed up between Camera Raw and Nex-7 settings, but I cannot enterely grap what is wrong

-First of all, Robert, I've had the Nex-7  settings to 16:9 images format. Setting the Nex-7  to 3:2 format all Camera Raw sofware show the 6000 x 4000 image which is expected and viewed at the display

Obviously, a 16:9 image is a transversal cropped one from the entire image at the sensor. Looking the images with the Preview app I realized that the original file is 6000 x 4000, and not a 6000 x 3376 like a 16:9 image.

Thus, there is still a problem. Setted up the cam to 16:9 aspect ratio, what you see at the display and through the viewfinder in the Nex-7 doesn't fit to what you get at RAW softwares as the 16:9 image that you saw and shoot. One solution, recover the whole image with any other software than Camera Raw. My preferred, for the moment yet, is to use the Nex-7  just in 3:2 format, which is in my opinion a lack.

Even Sony advice of a fun feature: you will cannot visualize at the display the whole images shoot in 16:9 aspect ratio...!!!

-K, I've had tried that way to reset the Camera Raw Deafaults, and did it again  when read you, in the hope of it works, but nothing noticeable occurred. There is a lot to talk about, I haven't could find the way to change Camera RAW configuration or settings. I don't know if we really can do it, farer than overall adjusts...

There is a messed up settings at the Nex-7, like Mr Reichmann noted in his reviews.

From my two weeks of use of what at first look is a great camera, I hope that Sony could fix these issues with new firmwares, and add some other features, like 4:3 and 16:9 formats that fit with what you see and what you get...

and could Sony add a 50 ISO feature in a new firmware or is it technically impossible?

Thanks you all for this great site and forum, and please sorry my bizarre english

j

Robert55

I've only had the camera for a week, so you are ahead of me. Tonight I tried a shot with the aspect ratio set to 16:9
I expected that this would only be a tag, that you could only see its effects in the Sony software, but that ADobe would ignore it.

Not so: both LR4 (RC2) and PS (ACR5.6) show a 16:9 cropped shot, and no way to see what was left out. But I'm not sure the data is really not there: the file is at just over 24MB only a bit smaller than ordinary files.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield

Click on the grey text at the bottom of your photo "Adobe RGB (1998): 16B etc..."

It will bring up a window which includes a SIZE drop down menu.  Check to see if it is choosing an option other than full size.

jrp

Issue seems to be fixed in the latest RC from labs.adobe.com, according to the release notes.

Jorge Recio

Thanks mcb, I've tried it before and there is no way to do it...

Good news, jrp

thank you all,

j

madmanchan

• Web

ACR applies a crop based on the in-camera setting of 3:2 vs 16:9.  If you want ultimate cropping flexibility, I recommend you set the camera setting to 3:2.
Eric Chan
Pages: [1]   Go Up