Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best time to go to iceland  (Read 3870 times)

larkis

• My photography blog
Best time to go to iceland
« on: April 28, 2012, 01:49:15 am »

I want to plan a photography trip to iceland this year and was wondering what the best time to go is. Also, is staying in a tent in some of the more remote locations allowed or are there rules to prevent people from staying outside of dedicated tourist areas ? The plan was to rent a jeep and roam around in the more remote parts of the island.

Petrus

Re: Best time to go to iceland
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 01:58:41 am »

If you want to go inland mid-July and August might be the best time, as the last inland roads are not opened until late July. We were there with our Land Rover in 2001 (2+6 kids), and the road to Askja was cleared on the July 24, with 2 meter high walls of snow in places. Camping is ok, but you have to be careful not to drive outside the legally open roads.

larkis

• My photography blog
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 02:00:04 am »

Is there a car rental company you can recommend that would rent 4x4 vehicles ? Also, one off the forum members here had a eBook on good iceland photo locations but I don't recall his website.

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 03:10:12 am »

Iceland has all the major car rental companies - that isn't the problem.

The problem is Iceland 'breaks' cars (and 4WD's) so the rental prices are through the roof. You can easily pay over $2000 a week for a decent 4WD in Iceland (like a newish Pajero or similar).

Last time I was there I rented a Jeep from 'Cheap Jeep' and it was around $1200 a week - it was a "bucket of bolts"; but it held together (just). I did have several check engine warning lights on the back breaking road in Hrevllier.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

markadams99

• http://thelightcavalry.zenfolio.com
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 02:32:58 pm »

2 years ago I got a good price on a 4wd and good service when my plans changed due to the volcano from ALP car rental. But watch out for the car vandalizing ogres:

« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 02:36:10 pm by markadams99 »

David Watson

• David Watson
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 05:20:56 pm »

I have been three times.  Campsites are reasonably plentiful and as long as you stick to Late July. August or early September you should be able to get everywhere.  It rains a lot and on my last trip we gave up camping after three days and stayed in a hostel type hotel in the interior at Hrauneyjar.  This was a very good and comfortable central location which enabled us to explore most of the interior.

http://www.hrauneyjar.is/accommodation/

We had the benefit of a serious Icelandic off-road vehicle with 37" tyres lent by a friend and that was only just good enough for some places.  There is no rescue service like the AA or RAC in the UK other than Iceland Rescue ( a helicopter service) and you can often wait for 3 or 4 hours for another vehicle to pass by.  In one location we drove all day and did not see another vehicle or human being.  On another occasion it was obvious that few if any vehicles had actually used that route that summer.

The weather can turn very quickly and it is important if you are intending to walk into the mountains to be well prepared.

Having said all of that Iceland is a fabulously remote place to visit with seriously strange, austere and yet beautiful countryside.

This site was very useful.

http://www.typolover.com/_travel/iceland_2009/day_1.htm

David Watson ARPS

Michael_Paris

• INTERNATIONAL PHOTOGRAPHER
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 03:28:03 am »

Hi everyone on LL,

happy to be part of the team now, (i am a reader since a loooong time) !

I am the author of the "typolover" site just mentionned.

Just to let you know that you can find the ICELANDIC PHOTOGRAPHIC ROADTRIP on this new adress now :

http://www.international-photographer.com/_roadtrips/iceland_2009/iceland_days_index.htm

It will be available in english very soon, i will come back to warn you when it is ready.

Best regards from Paris,

Michael
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 05:31:09 am by Michael_Paris »

Catastrophe

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 11:44:29 am »

Hi,

Just wondering if you want to do a tour share with Iceland Aurora photo tours around late September? I heard it's a good time in the year to go and the tour has really good reviews:

http://icelandaurora.com/tours/

Thanks

Aaron
Pages: [1]   Go Up