Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Non-cpu lenses and auto iso on D800  (Read 2180 times)

jb1

Non-cpu lenses and auto iso on D800
« on: April 27, 2012, 09:54:54 pm »

With regard to the limitations on using auto iso with non-cpu lenses discussed in the D800E review:  Does this limitation also apply to Zeiss lenses?

Thanks.
J.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
Re: Non-cpu lenses and auto iso on D800
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 10:06:06 pm »

Which series of Zeiss lenses? How often do you use auto-ISO?

jb1

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 12:22:14 am »

Oh I was referring specifically to the Makro-Planar T* 100mm f/2 ZF.2, and the T* 21mm F/2.8 ZF.2.

How often *do* I use auto-iso? Well, on my X100 I have started using it as my default mode of operation. I had intended to shoot the same way on a D800. After trying it with the X100 I have to say I agree completely with Michael Reichmann in his D800 review. These new cameras are so good up to 3200, that I operate the shutter speed and aperture myself and let the camera choose the ISO.

So I'm saying "I use it all the time! (once I get the camera, which is easier said than done)  :-)"

Thanks,
J

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 03:27:59 am »

Auto ISO isn't quite as simple and wonderful as one might be inclined to think.

I have used it in specific conditions (music in bars) with my D700 and it works very well. But, the problem is that if you look at the meter in the viewfinder, it always shows 'perfect' centring of the meter, and then you are left incapable of using your personal experience to adjust iris or shutter up or down, dependng on lighting: the Auto ISO always adjusts back to the equivalent exposure that it orginally set itself.

In other words, should you want to open up a smidgen you can't do this in effect because then the shutter will be speeded up, and vice versa. It really does become too automatic. Using the exposure compensation system setting control is far too awkward for speedy work, where your fingers on the diaphragm or thumb on the shutter wheel can work so much faster.

Kind of back to the drawing board...

Rob C

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 08:54:10 am »

Rob, I noticed this also with the NEX-7. I wasn't aware I had enabled this function so I disabled it. I never have used it on the D700.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 09:25:46 am »

Using the exposure compensation system setting control is far too awkward for speedy work, where your fingers on the diaphragm or thumb on the shutter wheel can work so much faster.

If you activate the easy exposure compensation function, rotating the rear control wheel enables you to dial in exposure compensation without the need to press any other key. This is as instant as it gets.

Cheers,
Bernard

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 11:09:08 am »

If you activate the easy exposure compensation function, rotating the rear control wheel enables you to dial in exposure compensation without the need to press any other key. This is as instant as it gets.

Cheers,
Bernard

Thanks, Bernard, but it's the other way around: I don't want to use Exposure Compensation, other than via the iris or shutter and at my choice, ever!

;)

Rob C
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 11:11:20 am by Rob C »

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 05:49:23 pm »

I have not been doing the RTFM routine just yet. I actually do like to use the auto-ISO from time to time. In your case RobC it would be pretty easy to just pick an ISO number and do the manual routine and set aperture or shutterspeed at will. I often do this, in most cases lighting tend to be pretty consistent anyway.

I really was looking forward to the auto-ISO combined with the smarter shutterspeed at the Aperture priority mode, it appears your ways of setting the parameters of this are really limited and the shutter speeds the body chooses combined with the ISO's is less than ideal (without possibility to tell it more exactly what you like). Hmmm... pity.

Let's do the RTFM thing even though part of the fun is getting to know a body by fooling around with it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up