Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Path through Trees.  (Read 1515 times)

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
Path through Trees.
« on: April 27, 2012, 09:17:04 pm »

Comments on composition particularly welcome. Anything else as well of course.
Ken Cameron

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
Re: Path through Trees.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 10:11:07 pm »

I think if you had 2/3 of the image starting at the left side, you'd have a better composed and focused image. The right side pathways tend to draw my eye away from the primary path and trees.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 12:09:49 am »

I think if you had 2/3 of the image starting at the left side, you'd have a better composed and focused image.

Thanks Chris, I see what you mean. The problem with that for me is that I would have to give up what I fundamentally want to achieve in the image, which is the eye following the path all the way through, twisting and turning, as a kind of analogue of walking along it - which I do a couple of times a week.

I will try another angle the next time I am there.

Ken Cameron

tim wolcott

• http://www.galleryoftheamericanlandscape.com
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 12:18:31 am »

One of the main rules to photographing trees is to not have the sky showing.  Of course this is very difficult to do.  But the most if not nearly all great tree photographs DO NOT EVER SHOW THE SKY.  The sky is always brighter than the trees or will compete with the scene.  Since your eyes always go to the brightest area of the image.  This is why when photographing flowering trees you needs to have the flowers to be the brightest part of the image by tone/grayscale.  This why I carry 12 foot tripods and ladders into the forest.  And yes I do get very strange looks.  If you are interested unlearning about shooting trees you should look at (Love those Trees) thread.  Tim Wolcott

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 12:44:05 am »

One of the main rules to photographing trees is to not have the sky showing.  
Ahhh! A light goes on!  I even like mine better with almost all the sky cropped out - see below.  I will check out the other thread - and put "12 foot tripod" into ebay search. Thanks, Tim.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 12:52:18 am by kencameron »
Ken Cameron

tim wolcott

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 11:46:13 pm »

Like it much more now.  I would even dodge the pathway a little to lighten it a hair.  NOw your attention is on the pathway as it winds thru the chaos of the forest.  T

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 04:03:01 am »

Brilliant critique. Brilliant result.

Give Tim a gold star!

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 04:22:24 am »

Brilliant critique.

Thanks Tim! A great lesson learned.
William.
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 03:37:25 pm »

Give Tim a gold star!

John

Yes, but give John one too for his recent analysis of shadowblade's sanddune.
This forum is very helpful.
Great picture, Ken.
Scott
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 03:39:00 pm by sdwilsonsct »

tim wolcott

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 01:39:21 am »

Thanks guys, I been exhibiting my work for nearly 32 years from the time I was 17.  It comes second nature to me.  But Ansel once said to me if the sky is showing it must improve the image.  I love to shoot trees and show the graceful elegance of them and the sky is a major problem.  The other problem is height a large tall tripod which I have a large induro and a 12 foot gitzo.  This with a ladder can help tremendously but you have to be willing to feel the pain.  This with a 65 pound back pack, tripod, ladder and a 6 pound stitching head that I designed makes you stay in shape.  But nothing great is easy.  Have fun its all worth it.  Tim Wolcott

The other thing that would help is if you can go back to this place is to shoot this image with the light hitting the back of the trees.  This would allow the trees to be darker on the front of the bark and make the trail much brighter in comparison to the trees.  Think always what you want to accentuate and make that brighter than the rest of the image.  This also works when shooting fall colors.

"There are no shortcuts.  Great photography requires understanding light, vision and patience – simple discipline – simple but never easy."  TW
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 01:48:36 am by tim wolcott »

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 05:11:33 am »

The other thing that would help is if you can go back to this place is to shoot this image with the light hitting the back of the trees.

I'll have to pay it a visit in the late morning.  Given the configuration of the hill and gully, the whole area is in shadow until relatively late in the day. Thanks again, Tim.
Ken Cameron
Pages: [1]   Go Up