Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I upgrade from LR3x (as good as C1 files) Slow death ?  (Read 3298 times)

Phil Indeblanc

PC setup: 16GB ram OS on 254GB SSD, Scratch on 128GB RAID SSD. Files on Intel servers 1gig LAN. Catalog files on C drive (running Win7-64bit)

----

I have been using LR3 much more now, just some product shots I still use with Capture One 6Pro.
I am hoping LR4 would be the processing equal of C1 ?

But since my files are 20mpixel and larger(as many users on LL), and keep hearing how SLOW LR4 is, I am very hesitant to consider the upgrade. Is it so?

At this point with LR3 I find the speed just OK, I do get a second or so hesitation lag, which I find OK enough to work with. The sliders are a bit clunky, at best. Just don't like the way they interact.

I have ZERO use for GPS geo-tagging
I have ZERO use for video editing (view would be nice, but NOT more, and not at cost of memory or any workspace and resource from image processing)
Book feature is welcome
Soft proof is welcome ; assuming it is like the Photoshop equal when viewing files in proof mode. I didn't find the PS to be so accurate when using black ink and paper for CMYK space to in comparison to contract proofs I make in EFI output RIP(? oh well).

I read plenty posts, but hard to tell if any of it relates to the files and system I work on. Anyone have experience and feedback with such files and setup?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 11:32:10 pm by Phil Indeblanc »
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Phil Indeblanc

Re: Should I upgrade from LR3x (as good as C1 files) Slow death ?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 12:08:54 am »

With no replies, I am already on the Adobe page with the upgrade in my card and cc out....any last warnings :-(  ??

John Cothron

• Cothron Photography
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 09:30:34 pm »

I really haven't had any speed issues with Lr4, UNLESS I'm running two monitors in which case I get a little lag with adjustment updates on one or the other screen.  I'm not running my images over a network however so that could have much to do with it.  I'm surprised you are having speed issues really, especially with the scratch SSD (which I don't have).  What are your processor specs? GPU?  Both of those can affect Lr speed significantly in my experience.

Actually, I have run Lr3 over a gigabit LAN at the office...and wasn't too impressed with the overall performance.  I don't think that is related to Lr3 vs. Lr4 however.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 09:35:18 pm by John Cothron »
John
Flickr

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 10:17:08 pm »

Thanks for the reply John,

I was just reading about many users having speed issues. I already upgraded, and AS YOU MENTION (glad I'm not the only one noticing this), with dual screen there is a lag or hesitation.
I posted a suggestion in a topic thread (LightRoom 5 feature requests)  someone started that may give a bit smoother workflow. basically making the switch from Dual screen use to minimize to single/main screen when switching to Develop Mode, and then re-enabling dual when back in Library mode.

I personally wasn't having the slow issues, just what your reported. I guess many people running it at the limits of recommendation.

I have Quad 2800Ghz i7
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 10:18:57 pm by Phil Indeblanc »

John Cothron

• Cothron Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 10:21:13 pm »

Thanks for the reply John,

I was just reading about many users having speed issues. I already upgraded, and AS YOU MENTION (glad I'm not the only one noticing this), with dual screen there is a lag or hesitation.
I posted a suggestion in a topic thread (LightRoom 5 sugestions? I think its called)  someone started that may give a bit smoother workflow. basically making the switch from Dual screen use to minimize to single/main screen when switching to Develop Mode, and then re-enabling dual when back in Library mode.

yes I read that post, I've actually been considering it a little.  I do think I've neglected to use dual screen as much as I did with Lr3 due to the lag.  I think what you mentioned would be a great idea if they will implement it.  I'm also considering trying out a higher end video card to see what the effect is.  As it is now however, I actually have two cards bridged so I should be getting pretty good video performance.  I don't think I'm taxing the CPU (i7-930 @ 4GHz), and I know memory isn't the issue.  We will see, perhaps Adobe will offer a solution.
John
Flickr

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 10:21:27 pm »

I was just reading about many users having speed issues.

No, you read about "some users" having speed issues...LR 4.1 RC2 is intended to address many/most of these but yes, running LR4 in a multiply display environment is gonna be slower. It's my experience that LR3 was also slower when using multiple displays...

John Cothron

• Cothron Photography
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 11:32:55 pm »

It's my experience that LR3 was also slower when using multiple displays...

Could be, although I don't remember it as much.  I was running three monitors before and dropped it to two right before the switch to Lr4 however.  On the other hand, perhaps I didn't notice it before because people weren't "talking" about it before.  In any event it isn't that bad for me personally, between 1 and 2 seconds I'd estimate.
John
Flickr

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 01:25:08 am »

No, its just at the cusp of being noticable, and let it slide.... Me too 1 to 2 seconds.......

Yes Shewe, same with LR3. I've been using dual screen from day 1 since Matrox came out with the card, Now with 2x 30" at the 2560x1600 is maybe taxing high, BUT I have 1gig+ mem on GeForce GTX 460. With Windows adding to total 4GB of vid mem.

I think I discovered an issue in LR4.....When selecting images on the Grid screen/second monitor while the main having the larger image...In Library mode, the image is not switching to the one I select. It is stuck on the first image in the folder. It went away after I restarted...lets see if it re-occurs. Anyone else?

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 01:43:04 am »

Yes Shewe, same with LR3.

Not for nothing but the name is SCHEWE...

Ya might wanna make a note of that...

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 04:31:51 am »

Now with 2x 30" at the 2560x1600 is maybe taxing high, BUT I have 1gig+ mem on GeForce GTX 460. With Windows adding to total 4GB of vid mem.
From all I've read and experienced Lightroom doesn't make use of high end GPUs in any useful way.
The key is getting the highest overall performance in a balanced way, no individual component will make a major difference by itself.
A lot of the issues with development control lag seem related to screen size. Run a huge desktop and there are a huge lot of pixels to change. I'm sure this is why there are so many varying reports of performance.

I'm hoping that a future version will exploit the unused GPU power on so many systems, then we might see LR really fly.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 04:52:18 pm »

With Lightroom RC2 I find it quite responsive using a 2009 MBP and a 30" monitor.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 06:46:27 pm »

Back to OP,
Yes, I would definitely consider the upgrade,
Softproofing, for one, if you print a lot.  Still working with it, but I can see a much better workflow for the future.

With RC2, speed seems back to normal, LR4 was a bit slow to me, (win7, 64 bit).  I also like the added CA tools, which
were added with RC2. 

After working with the new highlights and shadows sliders a bit, I am liking these better. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 01:12:06 am »

Yes, now that I am playing with it a bit more (Kinda hesitant to convert older files to new process, but doing as I go along and seeing the shift) ...LR4 is not much if any slower than LR3

To note (besides Schewe's name spelling, Sorry for the typo Schewe! :-)

I notice "Clarity slider making shift in a more "HDR-ish(if I may) crunch...if you will..vs the crisp sharp/dark haze changes.
The shadow and hilight etc, I will see how they behave vs pre-2012 engine.
But I like it overall
Using Schneider Apo Digital I see no CA :-P
But I do like the shadow, whites blacks...bit of getting used to since the Black slider is flipped change.

Softproof...I normally send to the EFI RIP, but I do print lots. and maybe it works like PS Proof view? (Which I find useful at times).
Book maybe cool, though I use InDesign, but see the value and integration.  I WISH map could be removed for those who care less, and I WISH Video would be just to view and have a seperate app to launch when asking to edit...just to keep LR resources and memory light.

I ask for a few short list of things from ADOBE....
(regarding LR & photoshop)

1. Make the sliders more accurate in LR4! They really suck right now. It was just as bad if not a bit better in LR3. I know values has gotten better but mouse movements are bad.
I use a gaming mouse with variable speed in movement and it helps editing a great deal, and that may play a roll in it, but on 30" real estate, one needs to move fast.
2. Make saving PSD files FASTER. When will this happen IF ever. Already we are forced to save in compat mode for LR to see them!!! Faaa**
3. Make shortcuts to tools more accurately mapped(I often have trouble going from a blur tool or grad, or select,etc.  to different layer types(normal/lighten, etc).
    sometimes they just get stuck and I have to select by mouse, then it kicks back in. ( I do use a Logi G15 gaming Keyboard, and I also map some shortcuts to macro prog keys to help speed things). FWIW: I haven't played a comp game for over 10 years. (anyone remember 7-Cities of Gold in the 80's, and Karatika on the Apple 2e :-)...Well I stopped with WarCraft sometime ago.
4. Make use the GPU on LR PS (I guess Cuda and GL are in use for PS, right?)
5. In the Develop mode for LR, I wish I could drag the tools off to the second screen (This would work great with my initial idea to minimize/Expand the second screen automatically when switching between Library and Dev mode....just as an option, since the filmstrip is enough for Dev mode, and zoom is no issue on the main screen. I can see why you would in some instances, but the Pref/Option would be a time saver.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 01:15:22 am by Phil Indeblanc »

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 11:42:29 am »

I have not noticed any sort of speed or any other penalty with LR4.  It works well and is a major upgrade from LR3.  If you are still undecided, just download the trial version and try it for awhile.  The only issue I have with LR4 (and this has been the case with previous versions as well) is that it doesn't play nice with files edited in NIK or Topaz.  If I do adjustments in LR, take the file to NIK or Topaz for additional work (Viveza, Color Efex, etc.) and then bring the file back into LR for final work, it usually works but there are all sort or weirdness going on, like screen jumps around, clone tool doesn't work correctly, etc.  Not a terminal issue, but a pain nonetheless.
Pages: [1]   Go Up