Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 9900 left ink bay: Technical Diagram  (Read 2726 times)

lightscribephotos

Epson 9900 left ink bay: Technical Diagram
« on: April 27, 2012, 12:21:22 pm »

Hello,

I am repairing an Epson 9900 and the spring loaded locking mechanism on #3 cartridge won't engage.  It doesn't lock the cartridge when inserted.

I've removed the ink bay and planning to open the carriage to correct the problem. 

Does anyone know where I can find a technical diagram of the left ink bay?  A cutaway view or etc?

The field service manual doesn't include repair inside the rear of the ink bay unit.

Thank you in advance,

Chris

tmphoto

Re: Epson 9900 left ink bay: Technical Diagram
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 06:23:17 pm »

The field service manual doesn't include repair inside the rear of the ink bay unit.

That is because Epson does not service those parts when they repair the printer-the whole assemble is replaced even if a little part is broken. If you cannot fix it you need to buy the whole ink bay assembly.

My advise is to take lots of pictures of the whole unit and as you disassemble the unit put the parts in labeled plastic bags. Take notes of the disassemble process. That way you will have no problem when you put back the unit together and will have the pics to check how it looks if in doubt.

BobDavid

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 08:15:38 pm »

I wouldn't try to fix it. The best advice is to have the ink bay replaced. The part costs a couple hundred $US.  I live in a small town in Central Florida. The contractor that Epson authorizes to make site repairs is called Decision One. They charged me $300 for the labor to replace the ink bay. All in all, the cost was $500 plus state sales tax.

lightscribephotos

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 04:16:10 pm »

Thank you very much for the replies.  Purchasing a replacement will be a last effort after I've exhausted all options.  It feels like only the locking mechanism may have fallen off for one cartridge.  Mostly, I am curious about the film on the backside of the carriage and whether or not it is an ink capillary chamber or just a protective layer.  There are several screws to remove and wasn't sure the quickest way to access the cartridge locking mechanisms.  I'll end up taking it apart regardless, so maybe I'll document my findings if anyone else has the same problem in the future.  And perhaps save a few hundred dollars in the process  ;)

If anyone finds a diagram of the ink bay unit, I'm still searching for it.  I'll be disassembling mine sometime this week.

All the Best,

Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up