Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Troubleshooing LR4 redraw lag - but no lag in ACR  (Read 3461 times)

AFairley

Troubleshooing LR4 redraw lag - but no lag in ACR
« on: April 27, 2012, 12:04:56 pm »

Like (I suspect, many) folks, I am experiencing redraw lag in LR4, so I don't immediately see the changes to the image when I drag the development sliders.  Here's the hardware I'm running:

AMD Athon II X64 620 2.6gHz quad core
8 MB DDR2 memory
Radeon HD 6670 w 1GB memory
Dell 27" 2711 monitor, something x 1440 resolution.

Lag was awful with my old Radeon 5450 card, so I upgraded to the 6670.

It looks like in order to get real time changes to the image sized to fill the develop module window when I make exposure etc. adjustments, I have to reduce the display size of the image down to 1:4.  Sized to fit the working window, I am experienceing lags of .5 to 1 second.

So I have a couple of questions and a comment.  How fast a graphics card would I have to move to get rid of the lag?  Would more system memory or graphics card memory make a difference?  Would it make a difference if I had LR on a dedicated install with nothing but the OS, LR and Photoshop installed (I have a fair amount of software installed on my box)?

And here's the comment.  If I open the same DNG in the 2012 process version of ACR and perform the same operations, with the image the same size if it fills the develop window in LR there is zero lag.  None.  So what gives with that?  (So I may end up just going back to developing in ACR in the end.)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 12:12:13 pm by AFairley »

Rand47

Re: Troubleshooing LR4 redraw lag - but no lag in ACR
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 01:04:14 pm »

"And here's the comment.  If I open the same DNG in the 2012 process version of ACR and perform the same operations, with the image the same size if it fills the develop window in LR there is zero lag.  None.  So what gives with that? ... "

Same here.  Very similar computers also.  So, one thing we can conclude (I think?) is that it isn't a "computing power / graphics card" issue w/ LR4.

Jeff Schewe, if you read this . . . do you have any insight into this issue that you can share?  I'm not savvy re computer tech, perhaps as many of us here might also be, but I am very curious about what's up and curious to know how, if, and what Adobe's folk are thinking / working on re the performance issue that many of us are experiencing.  Not a rant, not even a complaint, just honestly curious. 
Rand Scott Adams

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 01:14:49 pm »

"And here's the comment.  If I open the same DNG in the 2012 process version of ACR and perform the same operations, with the image the same size if it fills the develop window in LR there is zero lag.  None.  So what gives with that? ... "

Same here.  Very similar computers also.  So, one thing we can conclude (I think?) is that it isn't a "computing power / graphics card" issue w/ LR4.

Jeff Schewe, if you read this . . . do you have any insight into this issue that you can share?  I'm not savvy re computer tech, perhaps as many of us here might also be, but I am very curious about what's up and curious to know how, if, and what Adobe's folk are thinking / working on re the performance issue that many of us are experiencing.  Not a rant, not even a complaint, just honestly curious. 

I don't think you can conclude that.. if anything it confirms what we already know, that LR performs best with powerful hardware and lots of RAM.  LR has always been a bit of a resource hog and you wouldn't expect it to be as refined as ACR/Photoshop (yet). 

If you think about it LR is doing more than ACR at any given point because it's database is open and using resources.  Those resources need to be increased to compensate before you'd expect it to operate as fast as ACR. 

Many specific tasks in LR use a different subset of resources so it's important when comparing performance increases/decreases due to tasking, hardware, etc.. we keep this in mind. 
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 05:25:15 pm »

I also noticed a good and chunky lag on the Navigation window while in Dev mode
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

AFairley

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 06:32:14 pm »

Glad (sort of) to hear others have noticed the same.  Just to add a data point, redraws in ACR are still lagless if I LR is open and running in the background....

jljonathan

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 10:01:19 pm »

I'm on a Mac Pro with 8gigs of ram, and in develop there is a substantial lag using sliders and adjustment brush/gradient tools. Never had this problem with ver. 3.6 I hope they fix this soon.

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 12:43:31 am »

FWIW, I am on a 6 core PC with 24 gigs of ram and no lags.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 02:47:21 am »

I am on a 4 core (4x3.1) intel i5 pc with 16gb ram and I have a slight lag.  Not bad, but a little annoying at times.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 02:52:47 am »

I'm on a 4 core i7, 12gb of RAM, good video card, and good SSD's, driving two LCD2690's.. and no lags.  But I've played with this, if I use a mechanical HDD, decrease to 8gb of RAM, or put in base level video card.. any one of those.. then lags become an issue.  All three and it starts to get annoying.  

Lightroom is definitely one of those programs that benefits from powerful hardware.  I'll be building an Ivy Bridge workstation soon with a lot more RAM, a revohybrid for my libraries/previews, a revo3x2 for my system drive, and a SATAIII SSD for my work drive..  Basically there won't be a mechanical drive in my work flow (I will have mechanical drives for my archives in a RAID inside the case), and I expect LR to rise to that level of hardware and make my experience a lot faster and nicer.  I'm also doing more video and this type of system will render my videos in a lot less time.

Sure, it would be nice of LR would do it's magic with no lags using a lower powered workstation.  But I don't expect this to happen.  LR is a powerful program with a lot of function and has become an indispensable component of my work flow.  With the right hardware LR runs better and saves me hours every week.  It doesn't take long to realize a sizable ROI for the hardware.  

Wills

• Wills
    • Wills Wilson commercial photographer
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 03:50:04 am »

I'm on 10.7.3 a 4 core i5, 16gb of RAM, fast SSD's, sataIII hard drives, running Activity monitor all 4 cores max out when previews are being created and the lag kicks in, revisiting the library after previews no lag.
Wills
Wil

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 02:47:05 pm »

I'm on 10.7.3 a 4 core i5, 16gb of RAM, fast SSD's, sataIII hard drives, running Activity monitor all 4 cores max out when previews are being created and the lag kicks in, revisiting the library after previews no lag.

This makes sense.  Importing and rendering previews has always more or less rendered the rest of LR so slow it's unusable.

Not sure if anyone noticed and I'm not sure when this was changed.. but it used to be that your second monitor would render slider changes only after you let up off the mouse and then it was take a tick and half a tock for the second screen to render. It was always a good informal benchmark for a system to see if there was lag on the main screen, and then how much lag on the second screen.  I think this second screen lag is mostly video card.

Now.. since RC2 (or was it sooner and I didn't notice until now).. if you grab a slider and move it side to side, the changes will register without letting up on the mouse, but they have the same lag if you had lag before.  I have a half tick lag on the second monitor with my system.. so I'll drag the slider say 1 stop on exposure to the right and the main screen changes registering all the increments between 0-1 stop and then a half tic later the second screen renders without having to let off the mouse and finalize the edit.  Nice.  Hopefully with Ivy Bridge that half tic will cease to be.
Pages: [1]   Go Up