Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printer shortlisting. Help please....  (Read 1552 times)

Sunny Alan

Printer shortlisting. Help please....
« on: April 27, 2012, 04:38:12 am »

Kindly advice which printer best suits for me:
20% of production is B/W Positives printed on clear film in 24x36 inch size. Balance 80% art color printing on paper, canvass.
1.   Is it worth keeping a 24 inch printer dedicated for B/W printing? Is it big color ink loss if print B/W to invest for a separate printer when only 20% of prints alone is B/W?
2.   Which size, 24 or 44 inch? No much idea about market in terms of size. If I buy 24 inch, but even 25% art printing demands more than 36 inch, I will have to buy a second printer….. Is it best go for 44”.
3.   Canon or Epson? (Epson claims industry-best print quality. Canon claims lowest ink waste, cheapest running cost, especially the 12 col. RGB as well as CMYK model.
4.   Epson 7900 = $5000, 9900 = $8000, 7980 = $4000, 9980 = $7000
5.   Canon Canon IPF 6700 with stand = $4600, 8300= $8320, 6300S= $4320, 8300S= $6520.
Please help me chose one. I know one may not show partiality, but one among two products must be better in some way, based on use.
Thanks for the time.
Sunny Alan
Modern Sign Systems
Email: sunnyalanoly@gmail.com

Ernst Dinkla

Re: Printer shortlisting. Help please....
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 06:02:38 am »

Canon IPF 6700  ?

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

Dinkla Grafische Techniek
Quad,piëzografie,giclée
www.pigment-print.com

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 10:09:30 am »

What are the positives for? What country are you in? (the prices look odd to me)

Personally I think the simplicity and cost effectiveness of having one large printer with it's regular color inkset is smart. These printers like to be used and don't like to sit. Plus some 44" printers have larger ink cartridges/ink savings. Advanced B&W modes are awesome on all 3 brands these days.

I'd be sure to consider what software you'd be using to feed it. And of course, weigh latex and solvent printer options, since you're in signage. For canvas work consider the expenses and needs of varnishing a pigment print versus latex prints that don't require coating. Lots to consider!
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Sunny Alan

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 08:54:37 am »

Thanks a lot.

I am in India, the positives are used for making screens for my large format screen press.
Those are the prices I am offered by local Epson, Canon Dealers. Aren't they reasonable?
I agree one 44 inch printer. Which? Epson only? Some says Epson gives the densest blacks with Piezo heads, and not canon.
But Canon says latest IPF 6300s and 8300 are hybrid ones, with RGB as well as CMYK on demand on the run. ALSO VERY LOW RUNNING COST, since ink saving feature and so and so.
Software: Quadtone. If no good found MultiRip, mostly.
1. Epson or Canon?
2. Which one is Latex printing, nether Epson nor Canon. Which brand?

Pls inform...

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 10:02:19 am »

I am in India... Those are the prices I am offered by local Epson, Canon Dealers. Aren't they reasonable?

I'm always surprised by how different pricing is outside of the US! 8300s can be found for ~$3000 here.

...the positives are used for making screens for my large format screen press.

Oh how fun. I've been making digital negative and positives for alt-processes myself since 1991 and teach workshops internationally on this, so this is a fun topic for me. If you haven't already, see my article on "Using i1Profiler for QTR grayscale measurement and profiling" at

http://www.on-sight.com/2012/04/11/using-i1profiler-for-qtr-grayscale-measurement-and-profiling/

Software: Quadtone. If no good found MultiRip, mostly.

QTR RIP only works with some Epson printers. IMO, you can make fantastic calibrated negatives and positives for any process with any printer using the regular driver. There's also some new software for this process that will be out soon. Can talk about that just yet. Long story short - you've got options and can make your positives on any printer.

Also, if you're going to be printing from Photoshop consider the streamlined workflow that Canon's Photoshop printing plug-in provides, and the on-printer print storage option. Some users really find a lot of benefit in these, while other's don't - all depends on your workflow.

2. Which one is Latex printing, nether Epson nor Canon. Which brand?

HP's latex printer are becoming more and more popular in high volume canvas printing facilities. They surface of these prints looks great and they don't require varnishing like pigment prints. A lot of my larger clients have migrated to these printers and are seeing increased profits from doing so. The initial up-front cost is higher of course which makes it hard to justify for lower volume users.

If you're in signage you should really consider the UV Curable and Eco-Solvent printers that dominate the signage printing.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up