Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: LR 4.1 RC 2  (Read 8364 times)

richarddd

• flickr photostream
LR 4.1 RC 2
« on: April 26, 2012, 03:39:12 pm »

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Re: LR 4.1 RC 2
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 05:41:40 pm »

Wow, that looks to be a big change in the CA removal functionality.
That will take some experimentation to fully understand.

I guess that will also need all the previews rebuilding ? maybe not ?

Rand47

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 06:26:43 pm »

Wow, that looks to be a big change in the CA removal functionality.

You mean as in, it is missing from the lens correction panel?  LOL
And that the defringe is now gone-missing from the effects panel?

OOPS!  Forrest and trees! Doh!, it now has its own tab for both!  Hummm....  I think I like the concept better.  Will play with it.

Also, after working with RC2 for about an hour, starting with fresh RAW files, the program is still notchy on the sliders.  Perhaps "liveable" with my plodding style, but very far from optimum.  I've taken to making adjustment via input in the value window using the arrow keys.  Use of sliders is jumpy and too hit and miss.    W7, AMD quad-core, 8gigs RAM, NEC PA271W

UPDATE - Day two w/ RC2 Sorry to report that if anything RC2 is even slower than RC1.  On an a900 file with my normal adjustments, spotting, sharpening, etc. it brings my computer to a full stop at times.  Black screen, then re-draw.  And toggling the clipping indicator can take up to 5 seconds to display.   Sliders in basic module extremely notchy, and gets more so as I "add up" various image adjustments.  GREAT enhancements to LR, but am hoping the performance issue is fixable.

UPDATE 2 - While I continue to be alarmed/disappointed in the performance of LR 4.1 RC2, I am amazed at how good the new CA tool is!  Congrats Eric - brilliant!

« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 12:55:37 pm by Rand47 »
Rand Scott Adams

zobeleye

• zobeleye
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 06:28:25 pm »

RC 2 and still no support for Fuji Xpro1.
can't believe it...
stephan
mac pro 32 gb,eizoCG318,LR,nikon,fuji,Pentax645Z
http://zobeleye.com/

Box Brownie

• Engram Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 06:30:27 pm »

I have held off with RC1 so await you guys feedback as to how good/stable/bug free RC2 is but I have a question which relates to the fact that RC1 was stated as expiring on 30th June 2012........................................so the $64 question is based on that we now have RC2 when before I wonder will the 4.1 final come along???

Having asked that if the RC's are (now) good to go, am I likely to be struck by any un-noticed, by my still limited experience, issues  :D ??? :o

Oh, and sorry if I missed it when RC1 came out but does the RC1 automagically takeover the catalogue or will I get presented with 'instructions' as when I upgraded from v3.5 ???
A collection of mine here http://500px.c

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 03:41:06 am »

Oh, and sorry if I missed it when RC1 came out but does the RC1 automagically takeover the catalogue or will I get presented with 'instructions' as when I upgraded from v3.5 ???
Can't speak for RC2 but on a Mac with RC1 it was silent.

Jeremy

Rhossydd

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 04:56:35 am »

can't believe it...
Not sure why that would come as a surprise. Any camera with such a significantly different sensor design is going to give the engineers at Adobe some hard work. It's the perils of being an early adopter.

Rhossydd

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 05:01:08 am »

I have held off with RC1
I've found RC1 rock solid and very much better than 4.0, not perfect, but much better.
Overall there seem to be less complaints about it than 4.0 so I can see no reason to refrain from installing it.

yes, it just takes over the catalogue without any sort of conversion needed. (a back up before any installation is a prudent step though)

Keith Reeder

• Capture The Moment
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 05:41:19 am »

RC 2 and still no support for Fuji Xpro1.can't believe it...

From http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/

NOTE: The Lightroom and Camera Raw team is well aware of the new X-Pro1 camera from FUJIFILM.  We are currently developing raw support for the X-Pro1 and look forward to providing it as soon as support is complete.  Thanks for your patience on this topic.
Keith Reeder
Blyth, NE England

Rhossydd

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 05:56:59 am »

Well worth reading this explanation of the new 'CA' features by Eric
http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2012/04/new-color-fringe-correction-controls.html

Herb19

• Nature Images in Fine Prints
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 06:26:45 am »

I experimented with some difficult raw files taken with the Canon EF 85 mm f/1.2 II and the Voigtlander 35 mm F/1.2 II and the results for longitudinal ca corrections with LR 4.1 RC2 are quite good and easy to execute. However, as always, it is easy to overdo it, resulting in strange looking colorless contours.

My main issue at the moment is that the corrections done in Lightroom do not export directly to CS5 with Camera Raw 6.7RC and interrupting my workflow by workarounds.

It was just recently that lenscorrections done in Lightroom did not export to CS4 in the same way. Buy CS5 was it then of course. I hope that buying CS6 can be avoided with the final Camera Raw 6.7.

Box Brownie

• Engram Photography
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 06:30:55 am »

Have just finished downloading RC2..................took a long while for such a relatively modest sized file, the servers must be busy :)

Will install later sometime.

wayne2193

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 07:58:29 am »

I did not install RC-1 when it came out. Do I need to install it before RC-2?
What is taking Abobe so long to come up with a final release?

Wayne

Box Brownie

• Engram Photography
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 08:14:29 am »

I did not install RC-1 when it came out. Do I need to install it before RC-2?
What is taking Abobe so long to come up with a final release?

Wayne

AFAIK RC updates do not require progressive updates i.e. RC2 has all the features/fixes etc of RC1

But I do agree it does seem to take Adobe a while to get RC to final.  It is the only software I have come across to date that takes these sort steps ???

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 08:28:55 pm »

I suspect, given the issues with LR 4.1 that Adobe publicly acknowledged, that they wanted to get an RC fix out ASAP to give people some relief.  Now with this new fringing tool in RC 2, I sorta suspect that RC 2 is when they would have had RC 1, had they not rushed to get something out as soon as they could.

With a "typical" 3 or so months between dot releases, this isn't "taking so long" IMO.  And I bet a lot of people are happy the interim RC came out as soon as it did to fix the performance and a couple other issues.  I've been using it for a few weeks and it's working fairly well.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2012, 04:51:36 am »

I haven't been running the latest releases enough to know, but it seems the color noise reduction isn't quite working the way I would expect. And adding the LCA correction appears very much like a correction of an error in the noise reduction. i.e. an LCA correction should be an extremely minor correction in the grand scheme of RAW conversion, and mitigating any other color errors due to debayering should pretty much mitigate any LCA errors.

Did anyone notice any differences there? Again, I haven't used the different versions enough to really know, nor do I have lenses that require any extreme LCA corrections.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Rhossydd

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2012, 04:54:52 am »

And I bet a lot of people are happy the interim RC came out as soon as it did to fix the performance and a couple other issues.
I think "fix" is a rather flattering term in this context. They've pulled performance from an absolute disaster for very many users to something usable. The quick resolution of the point curve issue was also important and getting a lot of criticism.

Adobe needed to act quickly as LR4's release* was really heading to be a serious self inflicted injury. I think they also knew that they had to do something before Photoshop CS6 beta hit the servers and revealed it was LR that was dog slow and they wouldn't be able to get away with the 'The new process is just so much more demanding' excuse as it's implementation in CS6 ACR is absolutely lag free even on kit that doesn't meet their minimum spec. criteria.

It's great they managed to make such a difference so quickly. Even better the new fringing tool seems to be a major new asset. In my opinion it's more significant and useful than some of the more 'eye candy' features that they headlined as the 'new great things'.

*as I've said before; I feel sorry for the LR software engineers, there's some great new stuff in 4. But it seems 4.0 was released to soon, probably due to crazy corporate release deadlines and limitations. Almost everything was flagged up in the beta process.
It makes no sense to me; if 4.2rc was being released next week as 4.0 we'd all be very happy to pay the previous higher price and Adobe would be making more money and we wouldn't be left with the sour after taste of the disappointment of the actual 4.0 release.

W.T. Jones

• W.T. Jones LLC
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2012, 06:05:05 am »

can't believe it...
stephan

Here is a quote from the the release notes in the Lightroom Journal that is mentioned above:

NOTE: The Lightroom and Camera Raw team is well aware of the new X-Pro1 camera from FUJIFILM.  We are currently developing raw support for the X-Pro1 and look forward to providing it as soon as support is complete.  Thanks for your patience on this topic.

The purple fringe removal tool is a pretty significant addition IMHO. I have been sitting on some images I shot several years ago that have fringing I could not get out. I kept them just incase something came along to help me fix it. well now.....it works.

I need to play with it some more, but it looks like I can now save these images and get a good fringe free print. Thanks Adobe.  I assume Eric Chan had a hand in this since he wrote the blog entry on how to use it.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 06:11:29 am by W.T. Jones »
Warren

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2012, 11:31:57 am »

I work off a macbook pro, have a second monitor attached, 25" nec 2690...

Now, when I go to Develop module the image on my '2' screen the color dulls down a lot, it goes out of focus for a moment and then becomes focused but the color is dull and totally different than the laptop screen...

I shut off the '2' screen and pulled the main panel over from the laptop monitor/lcd to the big monitor and the colors didn't change...they remain the same bright rich colors...it's only happens with the '2' monitor / second screen chosen...

if in the Library module and have the image on both screens the images look the same, the color shift only happens when i go to Develop...

hope this is clear...

short ps...i did export a small jpeg to photoshop to see what happens...the color image in Photoshop is bright and rich like the original, it is not dulled down at all...so, there's something going on with the dual display set up, at least that's what i think from my little test...

also...

when i click on the Fringe Color Selector/eye drop it won't disengage when i go to say basic or any of the other panels...i have to pick another tab in the Lens Correction panel, Profile or Manual, and then it deactivates...this ain't normal, is it?...

oh, can someone please point me to a place where this new Color panel is explained...except for using the eye dropper I can't figure it out...

I posted these items on the photoshop lightroom forum, but thought i'd copy 'em over here too in case someone from adobe was reading...

Rhossydd

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2012, 11:54:43 am »

oh, can someone please point me to a place where this new Color panel is explained...except for using the eye dropper I can't figure it out...
Have you read the early part of this thread ?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up