Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Affordable papers for proofing  (Read 1684 times)

tommm

Affordable papers for proofing
« on: April 26, 2012, 07:26:32 am »

Hi all,

Could anyone recommend some cheaper, easily available papers to use for proofing (i.e. playing around with different sharpening, resolutions, etc) before printing to more expensive papers?

Currently I use Ilford GFS and Hahnemuehle Sugar Cane for final prints and Ilford smooth pearl and Epson archival matt for playing around on (but even they aren't that cheap). Obviously colour look and sharpening vary from paper to paper but cheaper papers are useful to play around on before perfecting on the final paper.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Tom

howardm

Re: Affordable papers for proofing
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 07:54:50 am »

maybe redriver or inkpress or inkjetart  ???????

I've heard of good results from some of the Epson 'proofing' papers but I dont recall which specific one.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 09:34:52 am »

HP  Matte Litho-Realistic 275 gsm. Tested by Aardenburg and is warmer, may suite the Sugar Cane best and last as long. Heavier, cheaper and lasting longer than EEM. Be aware that the Sugar Cane texture is quite directional, turn the sheet 90 degr and the paper white changes tone in many viewing conditions.

For gloss there are enough cheap ones around, check the spectral plots to get a similar white.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

340+ paper white spectral plots:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
update april 2012: Harman by Hahnemühle, Innova IFA45 and more

Damir

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 01:00:38 pm »

Matte Litho may be cheap but it is one of the best paper in this category. I enjoy using it, it is great choice with Z 3100 especially for B&W.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 01:30:58 pm »

If you're in North America, Kirkland Professional Glossy Inkjet Paper.  Costco.  $20 for 150 sheets.  Excellent reproduction.  8 1/2 X 11 only.  Reported by others on this forum to be Ilford.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 03:15:31 am »

More art poster category; the Innova IFA24 and IFA25 (dual sided version) Decor Art Papers, 210 gsm, are cheap, have a slight texture and a paper white that equals Canson Rag Photographique, Moab Entrada Natural and similar OBA free rag papers.  So more white reflection than HP Matte Litho-Realistic. No OBAs either but it has to be seen whether the paper itself will not yellow in time, a simple window test started here. Aardenburg result at 40 Megalux Hours for HP Matte Litho-Realistic will be available soon I see.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

340+ paper white spectral plots:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
update april 2012: Harman by Hahnemühle, Innova IFA45 and more
Pages: [1]   Go Up