Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spring is Sprung  (Read 1168 times)

dreed

Spring is Sprung
« on: April 24, 2012, 11:59:14 pm »

Michael,

I notice that the lens you've used here is the Tamron 70-300 rather than a Nikon branded lens. In the past you've dismissed 3rd party lenses in favour of those from the camera manufacturers, so I'm rather intrigued by this choice. Is this simply an availability issue, a budget issue or ...? Should we expect this to be mentioned independently from reviewing the D800?

I suppose the key question seeing you use a lens like this forces me to ask is have 3rd party lens manufacturers such as Tamron finally come far enough in lens quality to be taken equally serious as the name brand ones?

JonathanRimmel

• jonathanrimmel.com
Re: Spring is Sprung
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 10:33:04 am »

This is definitely a concern I have as well. Looking at the next five years or so I intend to spend very large amounts of money (every thing I look to buy, photo related or not, seems to be over $1000). If 3rd party lenses are a viable alternative (especially for the trinity of zoom lenses) that would really lower my financial burden.

michael

Re: Spring is Sprung
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 01:08:51 pm »

This is discussed in my upcoming review. But, briefly, I tested the Tamron against the equivalent Nikon and it turned out to be slightly better lens. This is corroborated by reviews that I've seen online.

70-300mm is a favorite of mine for urban shooting and travel, but frankly none of the offerings are great. But, better the lens you have than the one you wish you had.

BTW, I have two Sigmas for use with the new Nikon bodies and they are both superb, the 150mm f/2.8 APO Macro, and the 120-300mm f/2.8. More on these in my upcoming review.

Michael
Pages: [1]   Go Up