Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: D800 HDR shooting using AEB and Live View  (Read 2995 times)

oolic

D800 HDR shooting using AEB and Live View
« on: April 24, 2012, 01:10:03 pm »

Hi,
I was wondering about the following scenerio;  D800,  Select AEB 3, 5, or 7 exposures, then select live view, then with ONE press of the shutter release, will the D800 take all 3,5 or 7 shots in succesion while the mirror REMAINS UP throughout the whole sequence????

As you folks may know; the 5D will do this but only for 3 exposures and only when set to 2 second shutter delay.
My mother should spank me for buying all ZE glass.

Thanks for the help
Regards, Richard

michael

Re: D800 HDR shooting using AEB and Live View
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 01:35:41 pm »

Yes it will.

Michael

LKaven

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 03:57:39 pm »

I should say that the D800 has a much different situation with thermal noise than the D3/D4/1D/5D.  Pervasive thermal noise will emerge at ISO6400 at shutter speeds tested (so far) as high as 1/80th sec.  The amount of thermal noise is significantly increased through the use of live view. 

Interestingly enough, a dark frame subtraction will mitigate this very nicely.  But one isn't used to asking for long-exposure noise reduction at 1/80th of a second or even faster.  In fact, I'm getting the feeling that dark frame subtraction should be a full-time option. 

neways

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 11:27:59 am »

Hi Michael,

As a long time 5DII user I am very interested to upgrade to 5DIII but the higher MP Nikon D800 is a big temptation too. So I rent both cameras from LensRental to tried them out for a few days. The first hand impression is mixed and even making me harder to decide which camera to go. I read your recent review on the D800E and found it very informative. But i still have some issues on the Nikon D800 and like to hear your opinion:

1. I shoot lots of travel images and I don't like people on the street noticing my camera shutter noise. Live View shooting on Canon is almost silent and I don't understand why Nikon needs the mirror to flip up and down when shooting in Live View which causes lots of noise and take forever to resume the Live View on the LCD.

2.By using Live View I want to avoid any mirror vibration when I shoot handheld. I can use at least one stop slower shutter speed when shooting in Live View on Canon but the big vibration of Nikon probably offset this advantage completely.

3. Canon's Live View provides beautiful color and tonality on the LCD which is very close to the final image exposed, so I can make sure I got the shot or just quickly adjust the setting to correct while my eyes are still on the LCD through Z-finder. If I shoot through OVF I have to move my eyes to the LCD to check the exposed image which is another extra step in the operation and the image on Nikon's LCD can't compete with Canon if you view them side by side.

4. The Live View on Canon always keeps the aperture wide open so it is very easy to fine focus when zooming in 1:1 on the LCD especially when I use wide angle lens or Shift lens but on Nikon Live View only the set aperture applied so I have to open the aperture manually first to tweak the focus and dial back to the shooting aperture later to make the exposure.

Do you find those issues when you shoot the D800E in Live View and is there anyway to work around? Thanks.

John

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 11:45:02 am »

Didn't you ask the exact same questions last week in another thread to which answers were already provided?  ???

Cheers,
Bernard

neways

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 12:05:08 pm »

Yes and thanks for your answers to my questions on the other thread but I still think the Nikon LiveView takes long time to resume even though I used the pretty fast memory card (SanDisk  Extreme Pro 90 MB/s 32 GB UDMA 6) comparing to the instant LiveView feature on Canon. If it is due to the bigger file size and card writing speed why I don't see this issue when I shoot through OVF on Nikon? Also you mentioned there is no mirror flipping up and down on Nikon LiveView so what is the big noise and vibration coming from? (I can feel the vibration on the camera body). That is why I ask Michael again since he just did some extensive test on the D800E.

Thanks.

oolic

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 04:04:55 pm »

Michael,
Thanks for the answer...Bernard, thanks for your insight too.

There are always some compromises to be made...even when choosing a wife.

It seems that ZE lenses are taking a pretty good hit at this time. I made a choice a few years ago to stay with Canon and wound up with some nice Zeiss glass. In hindsight it should have been the ZF models. As I do have some Leica glass too, all used on my 5D II.

It is still a damn fine camera,but, ( there is always a but), the added resolution AND much better shadow performance makes a compeling reason, for me to think seriously about aquireing a D800e and keeping the Canon and glass instead of giving it away.

I like to print at around 24x36 or 24x..... For panos. So I can use the extra res from the Nikon.

From reading all the posts I've come across regarding the supposidly poor live view in the D800, I think it has been blown out of proportion. Maybe compared to the 5DII it may not be as good, but, still well usable.

As far as function buttons being different, well they are different cameras...end of story.

In my youth I used to race motorcycles. My 750 Ducati shifted from one side and my TZ 350 shifted from another. For whatever reason I never forgot, and never had to think about what side the shift pedal was on. I expect after using whatever camera/tool one would react the same way.

Thanks for all the great insights...Good reading guys

Regards, Richard
Camera poor but lovin life in the florida keys
Pages: [1]   Go Up