Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Manchester and Liverpool in UK--suggestions?  (Read 1219 times)

rollei8is

Manchester and Liverpool in UK--suggestions?
« on: April 24, 2012, 12:22:21 pm »

Hi, I am headed to Manchester and Liverpool at the end of May.

I will be spending 3 days in Manchester and 7 days in Liverpool. I would like any in input for good locations to shoot Landscape and Seascape. A few castles would be fine.

Do I need a rental car OR public transportation would be fine.

I noticed that there are four National parks around there. Are they photographically inspiring.

Any help with information would be welcome.

Thanks,

R---

Alun

Re: Manchester and Liverpool in UK--suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 04:53:38 am »

Hi R,

I grew up in Liverpool, worked for many years in Manchester and now live in one of the National Parks so I might have some information for you  :D

There's quite a spread geographically and photographically you could cover but here would be were I would spend my time:-

Liverpool - the Albert Dock and port, the Liver Buildings, the Three Graces (there is a free photography gallery called the Open Eye gallery here too). For people watching, there's Europe's oldest Chinatown (centred around Nelson Street), Bold Street. On the outskirts there's Sefton Park and the area around Lark Lane. There are two cathedrals; one Catholic and modern, the other Protestant and classic. You've obviously got tons of Beatles stuff to see if you're that way inclined like Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields, 20 Forthlin Road (McCartney's home) and "Mendips" at 251 Menlove Avenue (Lennon's home). If you google "The National Trust UK" you'll find details of historic houses and gardens around Liverpool like Speke Hall

Manchester - a thriving big Chinatown, the centre around Piccadilly Gardens, National Trust stately homes such as Tatton Park (huge) and Dunham Massey. Jodrell Bank space radio telescope, lots of old industrial past like canals and old mill buildings

I live in Snowdonia which is one of the National Parks in Wales (about an hours drive from Liverpool) and its best if you just have a look through my website www.alunallcock.com where most of the pictures taken are from Snowdonia which has many beautiful, unspolit mountains and seascapes. Highlights (with easy access) I would point you to are Cwm Idwal near Bethesda (Charles Darwin visited many times as its geologically very interesting), Pen Y Pass below Snowdon, anywhere on the coast of Anglesey, South Stack and Penmon lighthouses on Anglesey

Public transports not great once you stray from the city centres so I would suggest renting a car.

Hope this helps
Alun
Pages: [1]   Go Up