Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: I am really disappointed in Adobe's treatment of customers  (Read 12418 times)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: I am really disappointed in Adobe's treatment of customers
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2012, 01:17:03 am »

But I think it's a real stretch to think that FASB 86 applies to incremental advances.  If interpreted too literally it would also directly apply to updates of existing software, e.g., version 1.3 -> 1.4; but that's only my opinion.

I'm not a CPA (nor do I play on on TV) but the way it was explained to me (by engineers), Adobe doesn't allow adding new features and new functionality between major dot releases (think CS 5.0 or CS 5.5). It doesn't impact bug fixes and maintenance updates...that's what "management" is trying to change with software subscriptions...

That's why ACR versions released within the quarter that the main release was released can add features (like ACR 4.0>4.1 and ACR 6.0>6.1 and presumably ACR 7.0 and 7.1).

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2012, 06:38:23 am »

Update:  I tweeted on the Adobe Care twitter page (I am not a twitterer...LOL is it a page?)  ok, a very nice person named Bev looked at my info and she has offered me a goodwill gesture of a complimentary copy of Lightroom 4.  I am not a lightroom user, but the main reason that I would have waited on CS6 instead of CS5 was the upgrades to ACR.  So, a big thumbs up to the Customer Service team at Adobe Care.  They have restored my trust in Adobe's Customer Service.

jeremypayne

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2012, 07:16:44 am »

I'm not a CPA (nor do I play on on TV) but the way it was explained to me (by engineers), Adobe doesn't allow adding new features and new functionality between major dot releases (think CS 5.0 or CS 5.5). It doesn't impact bug fixes and maintenance updates...that's what "management" is trying to change with software subscriptions...

That's why ACR versions released within the quarter that the main release was released can add features (like ACR 4.0>4.1 and ACR 6.0>6.1 and presumably ACR 7.0 and 7.1).

There is a big difference between how a subscription - which is a "service" - and how a license - which is a "good" - are accounted for with respect to the recognition (ie timing) of revenue and associated expenses.

But ... any business that makes strategic decisions based on accounting rules is foolish.

All that matters is cash.  When you spend it, when you get it.  None of that is impacted by accounting rules or treatment.

I'm sure Adobe's decision to move to a subscription/cloud-based model has everything to do with real costs and real opportunity and nothing to do with accounting.

Alto

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2012, 10:03:30 am »

Update:  I tweeted on the Adobe Care twitter page (I am not a twitterer...LOL is it a page?)  ok, a very nice person named Bev looked at my info and she has offered me a goodwill gesture of a complimentary copy of Lightroom 4.  I am not a lightroom user, but the main reason that I would have waited on CS6 instead of CS5 was the upgrades to ACR.  So, a big thumbs up to the Customer Service team at Adobe Care.  They have restored my trust in Adobe's Customer Service.

Hi Bryan Adobe also offered me a free copy of lightroom but i don't use it (can't get on with it Aperture user with all catalogue on aperture) I refused and they have escalated the case i have had this feed back from them so far

"John posted additional details about this in January. I'll have someone from customer care contact you to address your questions/concerns.

http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2012/01/..."

fingers  crossed

Jon

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2012, 03:00:48 pm »

The problems with Adobe and the way their practices preclude periodic improvements paves the way for competition. Right now I can see no real alternative to Photoshop, their version model, and the clumsy "Suite" restrictions. But you could look back far enough and say the same for makers of Wordstar and Viscalc.
Personally, I'd welcome a subscription model from Adobe for Photoshop.

Rick Popham

• http://
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2012, 05:52:30 pm »

Personally, I'd welcome a subscription model from Adobe for Photoshop.

Next month you can get one for $20/month.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2012, 05:03:46 am »

Next month you can get one for $20/month.
Isn't that just an introductory price for the first year ?

Given their recent behaviour with upgrade policies etc I'd be very wary of transferring to a subscription based model.

Rick Popham

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2012, 09:14:12 pm »

Isn't that just an introductory price for the first year ?

You know, I'm not sure.  I saw that mentioned as the price for subscribing to any of the applications. 

I guess this scheme will gain Adobe some new customers, but as an existing Photoshop user I see no advantages.  At $20/month it's considerably more expensive than the current $199 upgrade fee that comes along every 18 months or so.  It's loaded with requirements that I assiduously avoid -- automatic charges to my credit card, monthly activation checks and the necessary reliance on an internet connection.

And another thing I've started to wonder about is the stability of these updates that are supposed to come flowing along.  Right now we have months of public beta testing before the final release.  Then it takes a month or two (or three) before plugins get updated to reliably work with the new version.  How is this supposed to work with constant updates to the program?  Maybe Jeff can shed some light on this.

I'm sorry to sound so negative about Adobe's "Cloud", but it holds no advantages for me and Adobe seems hell-bent on making this their business model.

Farmer

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2012, 01:16:54 am »

Adobe's offering both models.  My bet would be that they will see how this works, what the numbers look like, and then continue to adjust as they see appropriate in the market.
Phil Brown

Rick Popham

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2012, 10:18:05 am »

Adobe's offering both models. 

For now...

Farmer

« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2012, 07:50:52 pm »

Yes, and they will assess how the market reacts and make decisions accordingly.  If the subscription model doesn't have much uptake, they will likely look to adjust it.  If it's very successful, they may still look to change it, but in a different way.
Phil Brown

jeremypayne

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2012, 06:06:21 am »

Yes, and they will assess how the market reacts and make decisions accordingly.  If the subscription model doesn't have much uptake, they will likely look to adjust it.  If it's very successful, they may still look to change it, but in a different way.

I'd like to see a metered, pay-for-play version of "photoshop as a service".

I use it soooo infrequently now, but I do need it every now and then and would love to be able to fire it up for 2 or 3 hours and pay $3/hour or something.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2012, 06:29:29 am »

I use it soooo infrequently now, but I do need it every now and then and would love to be able to fire it up for 2 or 3 hours and pay $3/hour or something.
I think that model is being made available, but not on an hour by hour basis, or day by day, it's month by month.
That makes a degree of sense if you're doing a one off project and need, say, InDesign or Premiere+After Effects.

I wonder if we'll see the trial versions disappearing or having significantly shorter periods ?

Rick Popham

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2012, 06:23:32 pm »

Yes, they have a $30/month per application offering.  To get the $20/month pricing, you need to sign up for a year.  So I guess you could just pay $30 to use Photoshop for a month if you needed it for a project.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2012, 08:06:54 pm »

Does $1.99 per hour work for you?  As a PS slave, I'm not sure 5ยข an hour would be a particularly good deal for me. 
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2012, 03:02:53 am »

At the end of the day what we need is some serious competition for Adobe.

graeme

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2012, 03:08:30 am »

At the end of the day what we need is some serious competition for Adobe.

+1

Alto

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2012, 09:46:14 am »

Hi All

Adobe saw sense and upgraded me to CS6 after the  update before December the 31st or else debacle .

"We are contacting you regarding your comment on the Adobe forum for the upgrade Photoshop CS6.

As an exception we have processed an order for Photoshop CS6 under the reference ******, the order will ship by the end of next week at the earliest as it is not yet available.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.

Thanks
Regards
Nicolas
Adobe Support"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up