Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 5 feature requests  (Read 11120 times)

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Lightroom 5 feature requests
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2012, 08:38:03 am »

Of course, it's tagged that way because it's a bug that Adobe fixed.

John Cothron

• Cothron Photography
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2012, 08:47:23 am »

Of course, it's tagged that way because it's a bug that Adobe fixed.

Yes, but I think that depends on your perspective of "bug".  In this case many of us considered it a very useful bug.
John
Flickr

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2012, 09:08:28 am »

A bug is the program not working as it was designed, and there were complaints about that failure. That said, what that thread shows is that people were exploiting this loophole because they genuinely need ways to group and organize keywords. Meeting those needs, not reintroducing the bug, is the way forward and the thread should really be marked as Under Consideration.

John Cothron

• Cothron Photography
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2012, 09:18:19 am »

Agreed.  I think it would be relatively easy to add a keyword "type" that allows you to choose an created keyword as "hierarchy" that automatically doesn't export, but does allow its synonyms to export. Either that or take it back where it was, but leave the options enabled after you choose to not export the keyword.

I can see the privacy issue, although even before it seemed pretty clear to me what would happen when you chose "do not export", since "export synonyms" remained checked.
John
Flickr

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2012, 09:21:49 am »

I'd like to see an end to all "automated" responses to the mouse - for example, simply moving the pointer near the bottom of the screen (without clicking) pops up the filmstrip, which then of course obscures the item I actually wanted to click.

John Cothron

• Cothron Photography
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2012, 09:24:13 am »

I'd like to see an end to all "automated" responses to the mouse - for example, simply moving the pointer near the bottom of the screen (without clicking) pops up the filmstrip, which then of course obscures the item I actually wanted to click.

You can set that in lightroom options and choose to have it not happen automatically.  Then you will have to click the triangle at the bottom and the left and right panels to open or close the panel.

Just right click one of the triangles to get a context menu, and choose which behavior you want.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 09:26:16 am by John Cothron »
John
Flickr

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2012, 10:31:45 am »

Right click on the triangle and select "manual."  Done.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2012, 01:27:27 am »

I found Adobe videos very helpful when I got started with LR...Wish they would have one on Keyword managing in specific, or in detail.

I have yet to master it.  Wish I could make it like folders. Title a folder and have x,x,x,x,x keywords and make them visible so we can apply a folder then see and copy from other folders that may apply. Anyway, for me it looks confusing a bit. I end up retyping often. :-(

I bet Michael's tutorials for LR3 would go over this in detail , no? I wonder if the fix would alter any explanations in tutorials.
 I have other tutorial from Michael, and they are SUPER.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 02:10:50 pm by Phil Indeblanc »
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2012, 03:45:45 pm »

Rather SURPRISED there is no option to see Color Space & Bit in LR4...Specially with Proofing a new feature.
I would like to see at least Color Space a View Option in the Library.  

David Hufford

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2012, 12:28:58 am »

"I found Adobe videos very helpful when I got started with LR...Wish they would have one on Keyword managing in specific, or in detail.

I have yet to master it.  Wish I could make it like folders. Title a folder and have x,x,x,x,x keywords and make them visible so we can apply a folder then see and copy from other folders that may apply. Anyway, for me it looks confusing a bit. I end up retyping often. :-(

I bet Michael's tutorials for LR3 would go over this in detail , no? I wonder if the fix would alter any explanations in tutorials.
 I have other tutorial from Michael, and they are SUPER."

Phil: Have you watched the L-L Guide to Asset Management - Where the #%*! are my Pictures? tutorial? It goes ove everything you'll ever need---or maybe even want to know---about keywording in LR. Not sure if I understand what you want to do, but you can already create top level keywords with sub-level keywords inside. You can easily drag keywords between folders. It seems to me this accomplishes the same thing that folders would.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 12:39:16 am by David Hufford »
*Never fall in love with anything that c

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2012, 12:32:16 am »

I would like to see at least Color Space a View Option in the Library.  

Color space of the output? If it's RGB you already can. If you are talking about the color space of the original? Why...there's only two things you can do with an image that is not raw but in another color space, either render it with LR adjustments or output the original. In either case, the original color space is irrelevant.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2012, 12:54:31 am »

No David, yet to check that out...but I have read the DAM book, and with pacing myself and sucking up some patients, I will go over the keyword area with attention. L-L vids are the way to go!

Schewe...Exactly...BUT...I often shoot a 16bit RGB, but the publishers want CMYK, so I keep a hi res version, and a 8bit CMYK file which at the final is in PDF to be sent off....
One of the reasons I do this is because a 8bit file is much faster to work on vs a 16bit, and some features are not available in 16bit(let alone CMYK/another issue).

So my issue is that I need to continue editing or make changes to the 8bit CMYK file, and need to know which file is the 16bit vs the 8bit CMYK. If LR had this info, I wouldn't open the wrong file. The CMYK gets larger as I add text and logo of retailers and such, and hard to tell which is the version I need.

on another note...Wish we could see even a low res PDF files?!...I'd even be happy with a place holder with just file names..., just knowing there is a PDF in a folder helps.
(I know my list is growing :-)

So I know you make loads of work that goes to press...wouldn't you love to at least see which is 8 vs 16 RGB/CMYK....or see that a PDF is residing in that folder?

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2012, 01:18:08 am »

So I know you make loads of work that goes to press...wouldn't you love to at least see which is 8 vs 16 RGB/CMYK....or see that a PDF is residing in that folder?

No, I don't use LR for "consumable files", only original raws and rendered RGB 16-bit masters. I would never try to manage CMYK files in LR, what's the point? You can't do anything to CMYYK files and keep them CMYK...Compared to originals and rendered RGB masters, anything else is very specifically targeted consumable "output" (read disposable) files. If I need new files I go back to my rendered RGB master and re-purpose...it ain't hard to export the RGB and apply a droplet to convert to CMYK as an action...although truth be told, I do a lot of extra work when converting images to CMYK for books or other publishing requirements–and that's done in Photoshop, not Lightroom (wrong tool).

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2012, 02:32:59 am »

What do you use to manage them?  

I don't see how managing a CMYK is different than an RGB file. Your not gonna do anything to it..Just see that it is what it is and launch the edit into PS.  With the same respect do pros really edit shawdy JPEGS in LR and use it? You can, but would you? These are mostly PSD files that will go to InDesign and out to PDF.
The reason to seeing the bit 8 vs 16 is to have those PSD files distinguished to launch the needed file, or app.

I was hoping LR would be my manager as it does just about all as ACDSee Pro(knowingly giving up RAW process view), (Media Pro crashes and has issues with certain files. Besides not seeing LR process)....You see all the software I've purchased?  I would like to simplify things if I can.

I was against using LR all the way up to LR3, because I never liked the idea of 1 program doing very different things together as 1  (Library/Dev),(and I greatly appreciate ACR-PS for this). Frankly I still don't. But until some TRUE MANAGER gets license to view LR and C1 raw files, this is it). So I used ACDSee which is OK at best, but crashes and not a mature product for managing , but MUCH more stable and more flexable than Bridge. I really liked it, as for some time it was doing things that others didn't).

The point is we have LR playing manager...is it a sw for the enthusiast or for the "Fine Art" photographer/home archival printer/book maker?  What happens to studio production?
(This is where C1 stays alive, as it doesn't really try and manage, still like a Windows File Manager). Makes a mess by writing in each folder, but no synching, no "library/cache"

Now LR is doing great things. Since LR3.2, I've been working and learning, and having ACDSee along side to pick up the slack as a manager...  and I'm adapting to it, but it leaves me hanging with production work. What do you recommend? And how vested should one be to LR as a "image" manager?  

Note: The other files I speak of are directly Adobe products. How hard is it to toss a thumbnail of a PDF or even an InDesign preview to reference a file exists in a folder? How hard is it to link other Adobe Apps as the Edit program other than PS?(we have 3rd party filters and apps for this already!)  For instance you want to make a PDF out of a PSD for a magazine or any press. You should be able to directly place it into Indesign Via LR and output the PDF. Now I have to launch PS and then move the layers over. Or within InDesign place the file via Explorer. Maybe LR will eventually have 2 versions...LR-Standard, and LR LibraryPro?

I actually give Microsoft some credit for making Windows Explorer more friendly with images in Win7, and in a pinch always a good go-to to see whats in the folders. Great that LR has this easily a rightclick away.  

« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 01:13:27 pm by Phil Indeblanc »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2012, 09:40:05 am »

If you are talking about the color space of the original? Why...there's only two things you can do with an image that is not raw but in another color space, either render it with LR adjustments or output the original. In either case, the original color space is irrelevant.

Actually I’d love if LR could build smart collections based on the rendered image’s color space. The metadata for this exists, I just can’t search for it. It be useful for me to find all sRGB versus Adobe RGB rendered images as an example. I’m actually not sure why we can’t search for existing metadata like this.

In the meantime, I accomplish this using a Mac utility called Hazel that automatically finds all the images by this metadata, then colors a label based on the color space (sRGB is blue, Adobe RGB is green etc).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2012, 08:17:22 pm »

Thank you!!

...and a cool little product (Hazel)...Too bad it is MAC only. But WAIT!!

looks like there is one for the PC...

http://lifehacker.com/341950/belvedere-automates-your-self+cleaning-pc

"Belvedere is a Windows knock-off of the Mac-only Hazel, and Gina has already guided you through setting up a self-cleaning Mac with Hazel, so for a few good ideas for how you might get started with Belvedere, check out her guide. Belvedere's not quite up to par with Hazel yet, but in time I'm hoping to implement as many of Hazel's features as I can for Windows users."
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 08:19:14 pm by Phil Indeblanc »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up