Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 5 feature requests  (Read 11122 times)

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Lightroom 5 feature requests
« on: April 24, 2012, 06:10:02 am »

Just posted to Adobe's feature requests; http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom_5_feature_requests
All would useful and productive to me, YMMV, but I think it is all achievable and the expectations are realistic. Hopefully someone at Adobe will listen.

General
A global history option;
A list of what files have recently been written to (edited/exported) and in which module.

Library;
This module is almost perfect but there are two areas where significant improvements can be made;
Keywording:-
1. Significantly increasing the number of the keyword suggestion options (buttons).
2. Increasing the number of keywords allowable in a set and increasing the number of buttons to accommodate this.
3. Having the option of a third keywording panel. This would allow suggestions/recent/sets to all be easily accessible.

Library filter:-
Allowing multiple search criteria within the catalogue (in the same style as creating a smart collection).
eg must contain keyword “England” AND keyword “garden”, but NOT contain “lawn”

Develop module

Local adjustments:-
Adjustment Brush;
Move “show selected mask overlay” option to mask control drop down box. (like ACR)
Add buttons to change overlay colour (maybe two pre-configured options). (like ACR)
Add HSL range of options.
Gradient Mask;
Add overlay provision as above.
Add HSL options.
It would also be nice to partially erase areas of the mask using the adjustment brush.

History
Add an indication of where in the history a “before” state is being shown from. (Emboldening the text of the state or an added asterisk would help this)

Book module

This absolutely needs the ability to work without templates, custom layout and custom sizes.
The ability to place text boxes freely anywhere on the page.

Print

The ability to place text boxes freely anywhere on the page.

Paul
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 06:11:44 am by Rhossydd »

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Lightroom 5 feature requests
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 06:32:24 am »

You'll get more traction there if you post the suggestions individually, not as a pot pourri, or by adding your comments to existing suggestions (such as re book sizes). 

re Library filter - isn't this done by setting multiple columns to keywords?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 06:50:53 am by johnbeardy »

Rhossydd

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 06:51:05 am »

re Library filter - isn't this done by setting multiple columns to keywords?
It can be done that way, up to a point. But it only allows four criteria, doesn't allow exclusions and assumes you can easily find the terms you need within the keyword hierarchy.
Just making it work the same way as setting a smart collection criteria strikes me as an easier and more versatile approach.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 06:59:47 am »

Four criteria? You know you can add extra columns? You can also display Attributes  and Text (shift click the words) and type in exclusions or set the exclusion by selecting others. Granted, the slightly-differing functionality in SCs and the Filter panel need some work.

Rhossydd

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 07:47:27 am »

Granted, the slightly-differing functionality in SCs and the Filter panel need some work.
I think that's the core point here.
Keeping things simple and using the same dialogues when doing the same tasks in different places makes the program better.

richarddd

• flickr photostream
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 08:30:45 am »

I was pleased to see my most wanted feature (PS like clone, healing and content aware brushes) is number one on the request list.

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/ideas/popular

I'd hope items higher on that list have a better chance of happening.  It seems the best way to garner support, as suggested above, is to post simple requests, rather than a long list.

Alistair

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 04:54:32 pm »

Mine is a simple one - the ability for an exported JPEG to inherit the Collection membership of its 'parent'.
Alistair

John Cothron

• Cothron Photography
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 05:27:39 pm »

1.  A note field, much like John Beardy's BigNote plugin.  It is very useful do have an area outside of the caption to store information.

2.  Keyword Templates (example:  if I keyword an image with a certain waterfall, it also adds keywords in the template that may exist in a different part of the keyword hierarchy)  That would be really useful for things you shoot frequently.

John
Flickr

Rhossydd

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 05:33:26 pm »

I'd vote for those John. Make sure you post them on the official request page.

John Cothron

• Cothron Photography
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 06:52:35 pm »

I'd vote for those John. Make sure you post them on the official request page.

done, along with one more actually
John
Flickr

rogan

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 09:40:58 pm »

The ability to save contact sheets as tifs, not just pdf's.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 03:07:25 pm »

how about seeing/viewing PDF's? (I don't see them). Those that shoot for magazines use PDFx files and it would be nice to see them.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 03:17:41 pm »

Using dual screens is GREAT, and when working in Library, I love having the second screen show the larger image as the main screen has all the thumbnails.
In Dev mode it is OK to have both, but not so important. I notice it runs slower when both screens are used(2x 30" LCD screens). . It also adjusts/refreshes the second screen first, then the main Dev screen, which also slows things down.
I like having the "Grid" on the second screen while in Dev mode, but since I can't remove the thumbnails from the bottom of the main screen, it's redundant to have it on the second screen.

I suggest making a Preference Option to "Minimize the second screen when switching to DEVELOP mode".

This would simply be an option so you don't have to minimize and max/enable every time you switch between Lib and Dev modes.

Besides I like having another app on that screen.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 10:58:48 pm »

As described on a previous post (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=66025.0), I would like to see an "Archive" module or sub-module.

I envision this as a way to de-clutter my catalogue of all the unrated photos or photos that I no longer need at my finger tips (old client photos or photos from years past) that I don't want to delete.

It would be great if the "archived" photos still appeared as previews in the correct folder alongside their locally stored siblings, but marked with a stylized "A" to indicate that they are not on a local disk, but archived on a DVD, external HD perhaps, or other long-term storage media.

This would be especially helpful for those of us making extensive use of laptops. Our catalogue, current photos and any other frequently used photos could be kept locally, with all others archived externally (in a parallel file structure) with LR keeping track of those locations.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2012, 12:13:26 am »

Sounds good.
Not on top of my list, but surely a helpful feature for some users.  What LR has may not be as helpful as you explain but, I LR somehow does this with a "?" in the file and folders, no? Like when they are missing.
I would never feel happy with LR on a laptop...then again, my laptops are 32bit capped at 4GB ram, and would cry using LR with it.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 01:27:21 am by Phil Indeblanc »

John Cothron

• Cothron Photography
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2012, 12:45:13 am »

As described on a previous post (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=66025.0), I would like to see an "Archive" module or sub-module.

I envision this as a way to de-clutter my catalogue of all the unrated photos or photos that I no longer need at my finger tips (old client photos or photos from years past) that I don't want to delete.

It would be great if the "archived" photos still appeared as previews in the correct folder alongside their locally stored siblings, but marked with a stylized "A" to indicate that they are not on a local disk, but archived on a DVD, external HD perhaps, or other long-term storage media.

This would be especially helpful for those of us making extensive use of laptops. Our catalogue, current photos and any other frequently used photos could be kept locally, with all others archived externally (in a parallel file structure) with LR keeping track of those locations.

I agree this would be a useful feature, and not that hard to implement I wouldn't think.  It would be great for laptop users such as yourself, and even somewhat useful for someone having hundreds of thousands of images on a desktop set up.   
John
Flickr

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2012, 02:25:57 am »

-- ref archive feature -

In a way, I think it's a little too narrow a request and needs recasting to meet other common reasons for requests to hide pictures (eg pics you don't want the kids to see).

I'd envisage it as a variation on the Smart Collection or on the Library Filter Preset. You would enter criteria such as "rating = 0 and edited > 300 days ago" or "keywords contains nudes", "keywords contains archived", "folder contains archive". Any pictures that meet the criteria would be hidden from view until you switch into a "show hidden files" mode. Effectively you're duplicating the lock mode and making it persistent.

You'd have to deal with oddities like counts on folders, smart collections and keywords - display the total number or just the visible items? What if the image is used in a Saved Book? That's just two that spring to mind, and there would be a slew of "Lightroom ate my granny" cries from dumbos who accidentally hide all their photos. Certainly not impossible to resolve, these details add to the cost of developing it. And given Adobe aren't so sure-footed outside Develop, do you expect they would allocate (or have) resources for this?

John

Wills

• Wills
    • Wills Wilson commercial photographer
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2012, 03:35:50 am »

Print module identity plate location could do with some sort of co-ordinate control even a simple alignment and offset would suffice to ensure accurate placement when using variable text as it's a bit hit and miss when placing captions on images.
Wills
Wil

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2012, 12:47:18 pm »

Since we are sharing ideas....

For dual screen users...
I'm getting tired of the same step of opening the second screen in Library mode, then minimizing for Dev mode, and repeat each time I go through the modes.

As I notice LR applies adjustments you make to the second screen first, then the main screen, which is odd, and having dual screens in use while in Develop mode slows down editing by an extra second or so.

I suggest making a Preference Option for Dual screen users to: "Minimize the second screen when switching to DEVELOP mode".

This is just to give users the option to auto minimize from Library to Dev, and when you switch back to Library, second screen is back up.
Simply having the option to automate the motions.

In Library mode it is super useful for the second screen. But not so needed in Develop mode. Mainly in Dev mode there already is the Filmstrip on the bottom.

John Cothron

• Cothron Photography
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2012, 08:28:32 am »

Here is one that seems to be dear to many people's hearts, yet has been tagged "not a problem".  It has to do with keyword behavior, specifically the behavior of synonyms.  I'll let you read the thread for the details.

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/keyword_options_no_longer_available_in_lr4
John
Flickr
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up