Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thoughts on the Leaf Credo  (Read 13330 times)

BJL

Re: Thoughts on the Leaf Credo
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2012, 08:02:27 pm »

I have a lot of M645 literature, but I've never seen image circle measurements/specs for the M645 lenses.

Mamiya might well have given image circles for the RB67 lenses, when the ProSD came out with the option of a 6x8 back. ...
I only ever recall seeing image circle data for 6x7 lenses, and I think I know why now: I have discovered in photographic forums that there are view camera users who use those Mamiya lenses adapted for use with 5"x4" format, and according to forum discussions, Mamiya 6x7 lenses from 90mm and up cover 5"x4", meaning about 150mm image circle diameter.

ondebanks

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2012, 09:46:29 am »

By chance I just came across this quote - while looking at a review of the Mirex T-S adapter for M645 lenses to DSLRs:
"Mamiya 645 lenses have an image circle of more than 75mm."

The 645 format diagonal is 70mm, so evidently the lenses do have a spare bit of coverage.

Wow, this thread has spiralled off topic! But it's all good. :)

Ray

Lacunapratum

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2012, 10:46:51 pm »

Response to a question regarding my earlier post about a potential Hy6ii and what should be changed. 

Improved tracktion for aperture and shutter speed dials.
Better compatibility with AF and MF lenses for all modes of operation.
More robust handle (have seen two broken ones already).
Uniform base color (perhaps black).
Improved battery longevity. 

And for the lenses

Improved autofocus mechanism for AF and AF-D lenses.
Add the S-Flektogon 35mm to the line-up.

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2012, 11:42:35 pm »

The 645 format diagonal is 70mm, so evidently the lenses do have a spare bit of coverage.

Wow, this thread has spiralled off topic! But it's all good. :)

Ray

amazing the things you find on the internet  :o
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

DeckardTrinity

« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2012, 11:32:36 am »

Response to a question regarding my earlier post about a potential Hy6ii and what should be changed. 

More robust handle (have seen two broken ones already).
Improved battery longevity. 

That is good to know regarding the handle. Mine seems pretty sturdy, but I've always wondered how structurally sound the mechanism is under the skin. I treat mine gently as it is, but will keep this in mind going forward.

As far as the battery life goes, keep in mind the Hy6 solved the biggest problem with batteries by switching to Li-Ion from the 600x series. I would like to see a better indicator of battery life, along the lines of the Canon 5D2's % meter. Getting that level of capacity would be great too, but I'd at least like better feedback about the battery's current charge level so I can plan accordingly. Right now I all too often find the camera + Leaf Afi7 just up and quitting on me in the middle of a shoot, so if I was shooting professionally I would have to be a lot more conservative with batteries than I am now.

Alas, all of these wish-list items will more than likely never come to be, but it is nice to dream. :)

Gigi

• some work
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2012, 01:06:58 pm »

I would like to see a better indicator of battery life, along the lines of the Canon 5D2's % meter. Getting that level of capacity would be great too, but I'd at least like better feedback about the battery's current charge level so I can plan accordingly. Right now I all too often find the camera + Leaf Afi7 just up and quitting on me in the middle of a shoot, so if I was shooting professionally I would have to be a lot more conservative with batteries than I am now.

Do you use a separate battery for the back? I find that the AFI 7 eats batteries about one per 8 gb card. The battery in the camera almost never needs changing - maybe every 5-10 times one is changed on the back. Also, when the back says the battery is really dead, the charger thinks it has about 30% left, so in a pinch, one can swap out the camera battery for the back and get a few more shots.
Geoff

epatsellis

« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2012, 01:07:06 pm »

I only ever recall seeing image circle data for 6x7 lenses, and I think I know why now: I have discovered in photographic forums that there are view camera users who use those Mamiya lenses adapted for use with 5"x4" format, and according to forum discussions, Mamiya 6x7 lenses from 90mm and up cover 5"x4", meaning about 150mm image circle diameter.

Yes, and they can work quite well in that application. The 50 and 65 give me a much wider option when using my Dicomed scan back on either the RB or Sinar than any other option within my (rather limited) budget. Sure there's the 47 and 58XL's from Schneider, but they're on the expensive side.

erie
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up