Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya Leaf introduces the new Leaf CREDO  (Read 33976 times)

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: Mamiya Leaf introduces the new Leaf CREDO
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2012, 07:26:41 am »

I don't see any air vents on the pictures, does this mean that these backs are without fan?

Correct. The Credo uses passive cooling rather than an active fan. No fan = no air vents.

What does that mean? Basically the internal components are designed to suck heat away from the sensor.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2012, 07:37:12 am »

Thanks for the lecture, Robert. Most of us here own MF, in my case Phase.
What *you* don't talk about apart from the look is that the *body* difference from 35 to MF is far from splitting hairs, it's like traveling back in time. In fact I think it was easier to use my 1920 plane-film view camera than the current MF bodies; at the very least the plane film camera didn't need 6AA batteries and one camcorder battery like my AFDII and P45+, and the ground glass showed a much better image than that selfsame P45+.

I guess I'll go and have a glass of claret and dream of my youth. Bygones.

Edmund

FWIW, the "quality" of the Canon 5D or 1DS MkII were enough for magazine work and on par with anything and everything once the job was printed...so save the thousands extra you'll have to pay for a D800 and get some more good lights.
If anything, medium format has a different "look" than 35mm (and still does and always will), and if you don't see it you'd have to be virtually insane to buy into it.
The quality difference is splitting hairs, and has been for years, imo.

Having said that, there were a few issues with Leaf backs that I would have liked to have been fixed:
• Better ISO
• Better LCD
• A more solid and refined file (no more blooming/green stripes issues).
• Faster frame rates
• Dual Card storage
• Faster tetheing
• Better Live View

Is this the case? Or are we seeing an Aptus II with a better screen?

« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 07:40:35 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

JV

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2012, 07:42:52 am »

is the Hy6 no longer supported by Leaf?  I don't see it in the list in the datasheet.  Same question for the H4X. 

Doug Peterson

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2012, 07:45:50 am »

is the Hy6 no longer supported by Leaf?  I don't see it in the list in the datasheet.  Same question for the H4X. 

No Hy6 version of the Leaf Credo.

H4X is fully supported (as is H1/H2).

Also the V mount and Contax mount.

JV

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2012, 07:50:23 am »

Doug,

Thanks for the reply.

Are you sure about the H4X?  Because it is not listed in the datasheet and the Leaf Aptus-II does not support the H4X.

Regards, Joris.

Doug Peterson

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2012, 07:58:16 am »

Are you sure about the H4X?  Because it is not listed in the datasheet and the Leaf Aptus-II does not support the H4X.

The Aptus-II does not support the H4X. The Credo will.

Of course I'm an eternal skeptic so I suppose the only 100% verification is when I have a Credo and an H4X in my hands and shoot the crap out of it. My answer is based on my personal Q&A with Leaf itself. The H4X will be supported.

We (Digital Transitions) expect our Demo unit to arrive very soon and would be happy to set up a remote webcam demonstration/test for you (or if you're in NYC come over to the office and we can grab a beer after). Just shoot me an email or fill out our request form at the bottom of our Leaf Credo page.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 08:08:31 am by Doug Peterson »

henrikfoto

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2012, 08:05:38 am »

Hi Doug!

When you talk about better LV. Is that tethered?
How is the LV on the back compared to the IQ backs?

Henrik

Doug Peterson

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2012, 08:07:59 am »

When you talk about better LV. Is that tethered?

Tethered or untethered. In some ways the experience is even better untethered since your eyes don't have to go back and forth to the computer screen and the interface to zoom in or move around is touch based (very intuitive).

Don't get me wrong; this isn't CMOS live view you'd find in e.g. 5DIII. The range of acceptable light is somewhat narrow (no bright sunlight wide-open without ND filters), the refresh times are several fps, and bright specular highlights aren't handled perfectly, but it is a big step up for anyone coming from an Aptus II, and will prove useful to many style of photography.

How is the LV on the back compared to the IQ backs?

Very similar.

Credo 80 will be modestly better at LV than the Credo 60 and 40.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 08:13:50 am by Doug Peterson »

henrikfoto

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2012, 08:11:41 am »

But is the LV on the screen good enough for perfect focusing?

And do you know any upgrade-prices from Aptus 12??

Henrik

eronald

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2012, 08:12:31 am »

Tethered or untethered. In some ways the experience is even better untethered since your eyes don't have to go back and forth to the computer screen.

Very similar.

Maybe what we really want is a pinhole attachment for this new liveview back, thereby obviating the need for a body.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Doug Peterson

« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2012, 08:20:02 am »

But is the LV on the screen good enough for perfect focusing?

If you know me from this forum then you know my answer is already "best to determine that yourself with your own hands, we'd be happy to help you with a in person demo, rental-towards-purchase, or webcam+screen-share remote evaluation". But since I'm also not shy to provide my own personal opinions...

Tripod based camera, non-moving subject: yes, it's good enough for perfect focusing.
Hand held camera: not useful for focusing.
Tripod based camera, moving subjects (e.g. view of city street with people walking back and forth): only good for composition.

And do you know any upgrade-prices from Aptus 12??

The terminology Mamiya Leaf uses means that an (Aptus-II 12 ---> Credo 80) is not an "upgrade" it is a "cross grade" (same number of megapixels). I'm not endorsing that terminology (clearly - to me - you are upgrading your equipment); I'm just explaining the semantics.

Set pricing is available for "upgrades" (e.g. Aptus-II 8 to Credo 80) No set price is available for "crossgrades" but we (Digital Transitions) would be happy to provide you one that takes into account your backs condition, warranty, etc etc.

BJL

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2012, 09:00:01 am »

Ok, so now big question is ... what are the differences between Credo and IQ digiback lines?
+1
With the same sensor and LCD specs and the same parent company, is it mainly a matter of the Leaf versions supporting multiple brands of body, and maybe the Phase One body and IQ back options offering some more sophisticated body-lens communication as allowed by the back being designed for a single brand of body?

Oh, and is fan-less passive cooling new for the Credo models?

EDIT: never mind; I was completely misinformed about the ability to use IQ backs on a wide variety of bodies. So the main differences seem to be more subtle aspects of user interface, with the Leaf and Phase One teams apparently working rather independently of each other (in Israel and Denmark respectively?).
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 09:52:48 am by BJL »

design_freak

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2012, 09:17:17 am »

Big questionion is where is Credo 80 R? It will be something that I want to buy Credo not IQ ...

Best regards,
DF

henrikfoto

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2012, 09:23:22 am »

Ok. but what is the upgrade-price from Aptus ll 8, just to get an idea about pricing?

Henrik

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2012, 09:38:31 am »

Ok, so now big question is (despite the question about the prices but I'd rather not ask that one) what are the differences between Credo and IQ digiback lines?

For now, my understanding is to keep in mind that the IQ and the Aptus-II have very different interfaces and quite a few different features (Leaf Aptus-II has the ability to input manual lens focal length metadata, for example) and the new chassis provides some expanded capabilities (Live View, USB3, Enhanced UDMA, etc, along with the enormously improved LCD and processing power).

But many of the pre-existing features and interface function/design will remain unique to Leaf. Not too dissimilar to how a Canon or Nikon differ - similar resolution LCD, perhaps similar sensors, similar functions, but some unique functions also, and different ergonomics and methods for accessing those similar functions.

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Doug Peterson

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2012, 09:45:17 am »

Ok. but what is the upgrade-price from Aptus ll 8, just to get an idea about pricing?

Upgrade pricing is a very easy to understand formula for most Aptus II backs. You get XX% off for a XXmp Leaf Aptus-II.

Leaf-Aptus II 5 = 22% off an upgrade to a Credo (40/60/80)
Leaf-Aptus II 6 = 28% off an upgrade to a Credo (40/60/80)
Leaf-Aptus II 7 = 33% off an upgrade to a Credo (40/60/80)
Leaf-Aptus II 8 = 40% off an upgrade to a Credo (60/80)
Leaf-Aptus II 10 = 56% off an upgrade to a Credo  (60/80)

List price upgrade for Aptus II 8 to Credo 80 would be 40% off.   So instead of $38,995 it would be $23,397.
List price upgrade for Aptus II 10 to Credo 80 would be 56% off. So instead of $38,995 it would be $17,158.

We (Digital Transitions) can also provide pricing for a crossgrade from an Aptus II 12, or from older Mamiya Leaf backs, or from competitive backs. But that pricing will depend on the case-by-case: which back, what condition, what warranty left, etc etc. It's not a dense black-hole though: just give us a call and we should be able to get you a price within 48 hours (sometimes right away during the call).

BJL

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2012, 09:58:44 am »

Doug has not mentioned it, so I will: the blog at his new workplace, Digital Transitions, now has a FAQ on the Credo backs which might as well be entitled "Doug answers questions asked in the LuLa forums": https://digitaltransitions.com/blog/dt-blog/credo-faq

So thanks Doug. I also note that you have waded into the mire of the news comments at DPReview, full of opinionated people who know even less about DMF that I do, so you are brave!

P. S. Since this is an internet forum, I have to ask one question about Digital Transitions:

Y U no sell Pentax 645D?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 10:02:34 am by BJL »

Doug Peterson

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2012, 10:20:04 am »

Y U no sell Pentax 645D?

- Not a lot of demand from customers/potential-customers.
- Not a lot of demand by the manufacturer for us to carry it*
- Uncertainty of the long-term (5+ year) commitment of the manufacturer to the product**
- Poor distribution/support/service channel in the US
- Doesn't fit our general mantra of not selling everything, but instead focusing very hard on just a few really great products

*this isn't an ego thing; when the manufacturer cares whether you sell their line it means you get access to the tech and service people who actually build the products and good responsiveness when you need to resolve an unusual issue - VERY important when you're a Value Added Reseller. We have these things from Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Profoto, Cambo, Arca; we don't want to sell products where

**I am NOT trying to do any FUD here. This is a judgement call / opinion. And the considerations are likely a little different for a dealer than an end user. All long-term dealers of medium format / speciality equipment has seen companies enter and leave the market place. When you sell a big production studio 8 digital back systems and walk back in a few years later and that system is obsolete because the manufacturer abandoned it YOU (as the dealer) look really bad. We have great confidence Phase One and Mamiya Leaf will continue producing and supporting medium format systems in the long term; I do not (yet) have that same confidence in Pentax/Ricoh.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 10:25:40 am by Doug Peterson »

Doug Peterson

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2012, 10:27:55 am »

Doug has not mentioned it, so I will: the blog at his new workplace, Digital Transitions, now has a FAQ on the Credo backs which might as well be entitled "Doug answers questions asked in the LuLa forums": https://digitaltransitions.com/blog/dt-blog/credo-faq

Or more completely "Doug answers questions asked in the LuLa forums, GetDPI forums, private forums, phone calls, and the dozen private emails, and three texts, he received before he even woke up"

eronald

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2012, 10:38:57 am »

I have no wish to criticize Doug who does an excellent job and is appreciated by all here, but I wonder whether he might not communicate our user requests to the manufacturers. And I think many of us like or would have liked:

- A major body revision rather than multiple back revisions Phase/Leaf.
- A sensor with Liveview that really really works. This would also make using an Alpa or similar easy.
- Contrast detect AF maybe, off the big sensor, in Liveview. The Sinar guys hinted this was a possibility, back when the Leaf/Sinar body came out.
- Hi ISO abilities, because every stop in ISO means less lights, less money for lights, less hassle for transportation.
- Slightly more reasonable pricing. I think you can buy a used 5D2 over here for 2 days rental of a Phase back.

Edmund

- Not a lot of demand from customers/potential-customers.
- Not a lot of demand by the manufacturer for us to carry it*
- Uncertainty of the long-term (5+ year) commitment of the manufacturer to the product**
- Poor distribution/support/service channel in the US
- Doesn't fit our general product mantra of not selling everything, but instead focusing very hard on just the very best products.

*this isn't an ego thing; when the manufacturer cares whether you sell their line it means you get access to the tech and service people who actually build the products and good responsiveness when you need to resolve an unusual issue - VERY important when you're a Value Added Reseller. We have these things from Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Profoto, Cambo, Arca; we don't want to sell products where

**I am NOT trying to do any FUD here. This is a judgement call /opinion. Here's what's it's based on. All long-term dealers of medium format / speciality equipment has seen companies enter and leave the market place. When you sell a big production studio 8 digital back systems and walk back in a few years later and that system is obsolete because the manufacturer abandoned it YOU (as the dealer) look really bad. We have great confidence Phase One and Mamiya Leaf will continue producing and supporting medium format systems in the long term; I do not (yet) have that same confidence in Pentax/Ricoh.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up