Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya Leaf introduces the new Leaf CREDO  (Read 33968 times)

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
Mamiya Leaf introduces the new Leaf CREDO
« on: April 23, 2012, 03:00:27 am »

Hi everyone, I’ve got some breaking news for you!

The below is extracted from the Press Release that has just gone out:

We are very excited to reveal the Leaf Credo, the latest and most advanced digital back on the market. Key platform features include:

• A large, high resolution (1.15 megapixel), touch screen with excellent rendition of 16 million colors for quick and easy verification of focus and tonal accuracy
• A new, intuitive graphical user interface (GUI) offers easy navigation and extends the touch screen beyond the LCD - letting you navigate and click outside the image area
• Fast, new multi-core microprocessor enables powerful performance for the fastest available image viewing, focusing and editing
• New FireWire 800 and USB3 implementation delivers the fastest image transfer speeds

Designed and developed for ultimate image quality and ease of use, Credo backs are offered with 80, 60 or 40 megapixel CCD sensors. They capture stunning images with natural rich skin tones, subtle details, low noise and accurate color reproduction that is second to none.

Leaf Credo digital backs work seamlessly with the Mamiya 645DF camera - which offers shutter speeds up to 1/4000 of a second and sync speeds of up to 1/1600 of a second with Schneider-Kreuznach designed Leaf shutter lenses.

Leaf Credo digital camera backs are compatible with over 80 large and medium format cameras

Pricing for the Leaf Credo 40 starts at € 14,995/$19,495. The Leaf Credo 60 is listed at €24,995/$32,495 and the Leaf Credo 80 for € 29,995/$38,995. Shipping is planned for June, 2012

More info is available on Leaf Credo digital camera backs and yes we already have a few working demo units! This is one of them being used on the Great Wall of China last Thursday during an event in Beijing and over the weekend at the P&E trade-show:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 06:17:34 am by yaya »
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

shadowblade

Re: Mamiya Leaf introduces the new Leaf CREDO
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 03:08:23 am »

What's the live view functionality like? Do you still need to use ND filters in order to use live view with the aperture wide open?

Also, any idea what the sensor sizes are? Will there be one with a full 56mm width?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 03:12:25 am by shadowblade »

design_freak

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 03:09:48 am »

Hi Yair,
Great job! congratulates

Best regards,
DF

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 03:15:47 am »

Arghh. Yet another morning.

I'm happy to see Mamiya Leaf is doing something.

More seriously, what Phase/Leaf users need these days is a decent camera body, not another back. I expect they might finally have one around Photokina, or maybe they will just bite the bullet and go all liveview and mirrorless ....

And yes, pricing. Nikon have this neat plastic thingy called a D800, it costs as much as a lenscap for a Leaf system, and can probably still make decent images at ISO 800, thereby saving you a pile of money for studio lights.

Please excuse my optimism. I'll go and pop another Prozac.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

design_freak

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 03:45:12 am »

More seriously, what Phase/Leaf users need these days is a decent camera body, not another back. I expect they might finally have one around Photokina, or maybe they will just bite the bullet and go all liveview and mirrorless ....

And yes, pricing. Nikon have this neat plastic thingy called a D800, it costs as much as a lenscap for a Leaf system, and can probably still make decent images at ISO 800, thereby saving you a pile of money for studio lights.

Edmund

Edmund  :)
Unfortunately, I agree with you about the future MFDB. We are witnesses of another revolution. prices fall, rental goes bankrupt (everyone can afford to D800). quality of the D800 is sufficient for most magazines. in effect, the market for Hasselblad and P1 shrink dramatically. I go apply vicodin ;)
Best regards,
DF

henrikfoto

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 03:53:35 am »

Edmund  :)
Unfortunately, I agree with you about the future MFDB. We are witnesses of another revolution. prices fall, rental goes bankrupt (everyone can afford to D800). quality of the D800 is sufficient for most magazines. in effect, the market for Hasselblad and P1 shrink dramatically. I go apply vicodin ;)

I think the market will allways be there. As long as the image-quality is better than Canon/Nikon there will
allways be a number of people that wants the best.
Phase had great succesful last year, and I am sure they will continue growing.
I think the difference between MF and canon/nikon is just as big now as it has been.

Henrik

Stefan.Steib

• HCam - Hartblei Pro Photography solutions
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 03:58:18 am »

Hi Yair

Where does the battery go on the new backs, is it still possible to use larger Batteries or is this now as with the Phase Backs limited to 2200 ?

regards
Stefan
Because Photography is more than Technology and "as we have done it before".

henrikfoto

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 03:59:36 am »

They say the battery is 2.900

Henrik

Mr. Rib

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 04:11:20 am »

Ok, so now big question is (despite the question about the prices but I'd rather not ask that one) what are the differences between Credo and IQ digiback lines?

henrikfoto

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 04:23:08 am »

And is Leaf Capture out?

robert zimmerman

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 04:28:38 am »

FWIW, the "quality" of the Canon 5D or 1DS MkII were enough for magazine work and on par with anything and everything once the job was printed...so save the thousands extra you'll have to pay for a D800 and get some more good lights.
If anything, medium format has a different "look" than 35mm (and still does and always will), and if you don't see it you'd have to be virtually insane to buy into it.
The quality difference is splitting hairs, and has been for years, imo.

Having said that, there were a few issues with Leaf backs that I would have liked to have been fixed:
• Better ISO
• Better LCD
• A more solid and refined file (no more blooming/green stripes issues).
• Faster frame rates
• Dual Card storage
• Faster tetheing
• Better Live View

Is this the case? Or are we seeing an Aptus II with a better screen?

Terence h

• Terence Hogben Photography
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 04:52:55 am »

For Photographers who are in a thriving market this camera looks bloody wonderful.
T
Terence Hogben. Durban. South Africa. ht

Jozef Zajaz

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 04:53:21 am »

Rebranded IQ backs?

Terence h

• Terence Hogben Photography
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 05:00:51 am »

Edmund i am doing the red wine at least it has some health benefits :-)

Edmund
Terence Hogben. Durban. South Africa. ht

design_freak

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 05:19:22 am »

And we can add two new LS lenses :)
Best regards,
DF

torger

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 05:31:40 am »

I guess the CCD sensors are essentially the same as in prior products? Since many of the experienced limitations (sluggish live view requiring ND filter, poor high ISO) is due to the sensor technology I would not expect any vast improvements for that. These backs are probably very similar to the Phase One IQ-series in terms of live view, and some do find that good enough for actual use despite the limitations. A modern up to date GUI and display is also a great thing.

I don't see any air vents on the pictures, does this mean that these backs are without fan?

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2012, 07:13:37 am »

What's the live view functionality like? Do you still need to use ND filters in order to use live view with the aperture wide open?

Also, any idea what the sensor sizes are? Will there be one with a full 56mm width?

80 and 60mp versions are 53.7 x 40.4mm
40mp version is 43.9 x 32.9mm

No 56mm wide version.

Doug Peterson

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2012, 07:18:09 am »

And is Leaf Capture out?

The Credo does not support Leaf Capture. DT, and many others have been working to transition Mamiya Leaf users to Capture One for a long time now. So if you haven't done so yet, I'd suggest jumping on one of our Capture One Online Classes.

Leaf Capture will still continue to receive minor updates for things like new OS releases and minor bug fixes; however, if you were waiting for a signal that Leaf Capture is not the future for Mamiya Leaf - this is it.

Doug Peterson

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2012, 07:24:42 am »

Having said that, there were a few issues with Leaf backs that I would have liked to have been fixed:
• Better ISO
• Better LCD
• A more solid and refined file (no more blooming/green stripes issues).
• Faster frame rates
• Dual Card storage
• Faster tetheing
• Better Live View

Is this the case? Or are we seeing an Aptus II with a better screen?

Better ISO: modest improvements compared to Aptus II.
Better LCD: one of the best of any camera of any kind
A more Solid and Refined File: yes better anti-blooming, better overall extreme-situation handling, more robust file handling
Faster Frame Rates: Better sustained shooting rates. No more buffer. However, similar shot-to-shot speeds.*
Dual Card storage: no
Faster Tethering: YES
Better Live View: yes. Still not a dSLR CMOS-style live view. But especially the Credo 80 will impress Aptus-II owners regarding quality of Live View.

*See here for Mamiya Leaf Credo frame rates for each back.

shadowblade

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2012, 07:24:54 am »

80 and 60mp versions are 53.7 x 40.4mm
40mp version is 43.9 x 32.9mm

No 56mm wide version.

Damn - that's one of the nice things about the Aptus-II 10 - pair it with a Digiron 23 and you end up with a horizontal angle of view equivalent to around 14.8mm on a 35mm sensor, which is the widest you can get on a MFDB at the moment. No live view, though, which hurts - ground glass is fine for large-format work, but not nearly precise enough for pixel sharpness on a MFDB.

Wish they'd come out with a lens and MFDB combination that gave the width of the Schneider 38mm Super Angulon on 612 format... an 18mm lens on a 54mm-wide sensor would be nice!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up