Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR slower with a larger monitor?  (Read 3118 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
LR slower with a larger monitor?
« on: April 22, 2012, 12:29:52 pm »

I just upgraded from a single 24" NEC monitor (LCD2690) to a 30" PA301W (with the 24" as the 2nd monitor). I get the subjective impression that some LR operations are now slower, such as changing the parameters on a graduated filter. I don't think it's my system - a 2.9 GHz i7 CPU with 12 GB memory and 64 bit Windows 7, RAID0 for both the boot/program disk and the data disk. Could the job of rendering more pixels to a larger monitor slow things down to a noticible extent?

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
Re: LR slower with a larger monitor?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 03:58:37 pm »

Depending on your video card it can take noticeably longer to render screens.  Especially screens full of images/graphics.
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 04:07:36 pm »

Could the job of rendering more pixels to a larger monitor slow things down to a noticible extent?

Yes...the larger the image preview in Develop, the more LR has to work when rendering image adjustments. Not a lot you can do about it though other than maybe dragging the right side Develop panels out to get a bit more accuracy in the sliders while making the image preview a bit smaller. It'll always be a trade off...the bigger the preview the more processor intensive preview updates will be :~(

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 05:15:28 pm »

I get the subjective impression that some LR operations are now slower, such as changing the parameters on a graduated filter........ Could the job of rendering more pixels to a larger monitor slow things down to a noticible extent?
Yes, I saw the same myself when I bought a 27" monitor :-(

Ironically the reverse also applies, so use a small screen and performance increases. Which, I assume, is why LR still works usefully well on netbooks*.

It has probably also pained the Adobe techs that so often recently people complaining about LR4's terrible performance have given lots of computer details, but rarely have detailed their screen resolutions.

*insert rant about dropping XP support to add useless video features.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 05:37:21 pm »

Yes...the larger the image preview in Develop, the more LR has to work when rendering image adjustments. Not a lot you can do about it though other than maybe dragging the right side Develop panels out to get a bit more accuracy in the sliders while making the image preview a bit smaller. It'll always be a trade off...the bigger the preview the more processor intensive preview updates will be :~(
Hardware is another thing.  It's probably unreasonable to suggest upgrading the entire system, but a video card upgrade can make a big difference depending on the card.  I have the same CPU/RAM amount as the OP but with a fast SSD as a system drive.. I'm running two 2690uxi2's and in LR when changing parameters in the graduated filter the change is instantaneous on the main monitor and lags by about .2-.3 secs on the second monitor.

A few weeks back I never noticed lags of any type, I was using a 5970 dual GPU card.  It went bad and I put in a 5450 card to use until a replacement came in and the main screen lagged significantly and the second screen by up to 2-3 secs.  The new card came in, a 6870 (less overall power than the 5970)  and now the main screen is back to zero lag, and the second screen to roughly .2-.3secs.  Adobe is pretty good about laying off tasking on hardware.
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

Keith Reeder

• Capture The Moment
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 06:57:02 pm »

*insert rant about dropping XP support to add useless video features.

Dropping XP support wasn't really Adobe's call - many of the most useful Lr 4 features depend on native OS functions that simply aren't available in XP.
Keith Reeder
Blyth, NE England

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 04:02:26 am »

many of the most useful Lr 4 features depend on native OS functions that simply aren't available in XP.
I might have believed that until I saw process 2012 run nicely in PS CS6 on XP.

mac_paolo

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 04:25:20 am »

I run Lr4.1RC on a MBP 6,2 (mid-2010, 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM) with an external 27".
Renderings are way slower with the 27" attached. :(

hjulenissen

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 06:51:55 am »

It has probably also pained the Adobe techs that so often recently people complaining about LR4's terrible performance have given lots of computer details, but rarely have detailed their screen resolutions.
Intel i7 2600
12GB ram
128GB SSD
ATI 5700 GPU
Windows 7-64
27" 2560x1440 + 20" 1680x1050 (vertical)

LR4.0 was at times painfully slow in develop module.

-h

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 04:07:17 am »

So what are the main features one should look for in a video card using 2x large screens in 2560x1600 ?

Core Clock
Mem Clock
Mem Size, Interface, type(DDRx)
RamDac

Does it matter if it's a nVid or Rad card, (both being OpenGL). Does CUDA matter?
Which of these are most important?
Anything else to consider?

I'm using a Galaxy 1GB GTX 460 femi, and I notice a bit of a lag.....and the sliders could be smooother

Does having more mem on the card force the OS to dump THAT much more mem from the system RAM?

My system of 16gb RAM dedicated 3GB more for the 1GB on the vid card...maybe this is adjustable?
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...
Pages: [1]   Go Up