Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fragments of Iceland  (Read 10981 times)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Fragments of Iceland
« on: April 22, 2012, 01:57:05 am »

Stunning work...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Re: Fragments of Iceland
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 05:00:23 am »

Stunning ???
The only cliché missing is some faux tilt/shift.

What's remarkable is how you can make such a stunningly beautiful country look so grubby.
There's much better work out there.

brianrybolt

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 07:30:08 am »

This looks like a toothpaste ad without the product.

Brian

Gel

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 06:33:57 pm »

Wow, tough crowd.

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 08:21:39 pm »

I'm on record of never liking any video. But I liked this one. Very nice idea and execution, especially the music syncing. I actually watched the whole thing.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 01:28:58 am »

To each his own.  Or her own.  I thought it was stunning.  If you disagree, that's entirely up to you!  But I still look for beauty every day...  ;D

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 03:26:21 am »

I enjoyed it. As someone who is deeply passionate about Iceland (Im visiting it again this year and 4 times in 2013 during both summer and winter on workshops I am leading) I thought it gave nice glimpses of what the country is like. Its highly stylised; which is just fine since thats clearly the intent of the author.

I dont understand the criticisms of it to be honest.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 03:31:07 am »

I think the video is a good example of something beautiful without being perfect in every technical aspect.
I liked it.
Yup - and +1 to the music.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 03:58:42 am »

I dont understand the criticisms of it to be honest.
Really ?

Do you actually like all those fashion looks and effects ? crushed blacks, excessive colouration, nothing in focus, shaky handheld, tiny timelapses that show nothing significant ? Are they appropriate for the subject or is someone just copying what everyone else is doing because they're told it looks good ?
Does that sequence at around 3' of grasses say much about Iceland to you ? It's most definitely not the Iceland I know.
The music in isolation is nice enough, but for a video about Iceland ? doesn't work for me.

Then there's the cutting between shots that are almost identical, horribly jarring.

I don't see your images of Iceland looking anything like this video Josh. It's a country renown for it's natural beauty, it really doesn't deserve to be daubed with such dismal colouration.

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 02:39:24 pm »

I think it's a very pleasing take on selling an idea of place. In some ways it reminds me of Scotland, but there they sell the idea of  heather'n'haggis'n'kilts to death, which is really nothing like Scotland actually is from the inside. I'd hate to think all that anyone selling Iceland could utilise/show would be cod, ice, lava, volcanos and expensive bar bills. Oh, and failing banks.

The girl remains a mystery all the way, which is attractive, and the music really gets to one.

Can I +1 myself?

Rob C

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 09:29:21 pm »

+1

I liked it and found it to be very beautiful. It reminded of what it feels like to be young.

Sharon

I went back and watched it twice more and I enjoyed it equally each time. Its highly stylised; but I don't mind that and I think Sharon nailed it - its got a born to be free young feel about it that appeals to me. To each their own.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 09:30:52 pm by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 03:58:48 am »

+1

I liked it and found it to be very beautiful. It reminded of what it feels like to be young.
Sharon

I'm afraid my memory of that event failed some time ago... but if your avatar is in any way contemporarily accuate, you ain't got nuttin' to worry about.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 03:55:40 am »

My avatar photo is about 4 years old. It helps when the photographer cares about you - they know the best angles. (To make  you look younger, I mean.  ;D)

Sharon

What's four years in the life of an angel?

Rob C

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 10:06:21 am »

Lovely: thanks, Mike.
Vimeo doesn't work for me, but it's on Youtube.
Scott

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 12:50:37 pm »

Really ?

I don't see your images of Iceland looking anything like this video Josh. It's a country renown for it's natural beauty, it really doesn't deserve to be daubed with such dismal colouration.

I think I understand your sentiment. Let me call it a disconnect between content, form, and representation.

But I do wonder this: does it possibly appeal to the next generation?

I have been watching the increase in speed of information with equal increased interest for the simple reason that I would like to know where the limits of information are. I recently saw an ad where they use text but not enough time for a fluent reader to actually read it. And it makes me wonder:

1. what is it that the creator wants to convey,
2. does anyone actually pick up on whatever message is available,
3. is it a sign of me getting too old to actually keep pace with the next generation?

I have been counting scene switches in commercials for some time, and it steadily grew to about 1 scene every half-second. But interestingly enough, when a commercial for the latest feature cinema movie comes up, it increases significantly.

And I was wondering whether people are actually able to pick up the story atmosphere based on this type of information overload?
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Rob C

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 02:29:57 pm »

I gave up trying to read the credits on tv movie showings years ago; not my eyes, then, just the speed.

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up