Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Obituary for Facts  (Read 11204 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Obituary for Facts
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2012, 11:13:49 pm »

... Are you saying that the number of people included in 1% is growing?...

Well, that goes without saying: as the population grows from, say, 200 to 300 million, so does the 1% from 2 million to 3 million, a 50% increase in potential circulation. Btw, I have no idea whether WSJ's circulation is indeed growing, nor I care, I am just taking your word for it. And even if it is, it does not change the fact that, overall, newspapers are in decline.

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2012, 01:30:00 am »

Maybe it would help to clarify things to know what your locality is. There's a place for it in your profile info.

Here. I will put it in my profile. I am sure there are Australians who share your views. But I think we mostly treat each other with civility.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 01:45:56 am by kencameron »
Ken Cameron

Rob C

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2012, 05:01:15 am »

Oh, I see.  The old chestnut of man=hunter, woman=gatherer.

Further discussion is fairly pointless at this stage.

Snap!

Rob C

Farmer

« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2012, 06:17:03 am »

Here. I will put it in my profile. I am sure there are Australians who share your views. But I think we mostly treat each other with civility.

I agree.  Unless you're a wanker in which case we tend to tell you so.  Although there is a cesspit of incivility near you, Ken - parliament house.
Phil Brown

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2012, 11:45:00 am »

Thanks, Ken. That explains a lot. At various times during my Air Force career I was stationed with Canadians, Australians, and Brits, and Australians are more like Americans than any other English-speaking people -- at least they were in those days. (Though they talk funny.)

In 1964 I was ops officer at a radar site at Ubon Ratchathani in Thailand, across the runway from an Australian fighter squadron detachment (been too long, but I think it was the 79th). A C130 used to fly in every Friday afternoon from Australia, and back home on Saturday taking along anyone going on leave. All of the dozen officers at our little 150 man base had standing invitations from Aussie officers to spend a week with them in Australia if we wanted to take leave with them. I'd planned to go, but I was busy working out weather recovery plans for the U.S. fighter squadron I knew we were soon to get, and I waited too long. Early in 1965 I got orders to command a radar site in the Vietnam delta and had to be there in two days. I lost my chance to see Australia and I've always regretted it.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2012, 02:25:08 pm »

Just been over to your site again, Russ; '68 sure was a great visual year for you.

Not to knock any of the later work at all, but did you have a Damascene moment, a conscious change of direction after that?

Colour corrupts. I've just made a first test of a colour shot I originally worked on some months ago: my printer appears to have gone into a bitchy mood because of the long hiatus, even though it self-runs every twenty-four hours... though (or perhaps because) my shot is in colour, I yearn for the black and white that this HP does so well. I'm seriously tempted to buy an old 35mm Shifter (used to have a great one until I hit one of my middle-age crises) and use it to do 'street' in a sort of non-intrusive manner. As Fred said elsewhere, an attack of nutsness?

Rob C

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2012, 04:18:11 pm »

My condolences, Rob. I know how painful it can be when your printer starts acting up. Had it happen last summer with my beautiful new Epson 3880, which, incidentally, does some of the best B&W I've seen. Usually, when a printer starts screwing its prints the problem's a blocked nozzle that shows up right away as banding, or at least as a very pronounced color change. But with the 3880 it didn't. The color prints just "didn't look quite right." Finally I ran a nozzle check and found that the light magenta nozzle was blocked. Cleared it and the problem went away immediately. Which leads me to observe that although having nine or more heads in a printer can help the printer produce sterling work, it also can screw things up subtly enough that you don't really quite catch it at first. Next time I'll know. And there's always a next time.

Actually, I have to make a confession. I've dated virtually all the scans I made from negatives from about 1966 to 1972 as 1968. I made contact sheets of all the B&W's and carefully stored the transparencies back in the days when I shot them, but I screwed up and didn't date the contacts. On the other hand, I do have a series of comb-bound books I made with back-to-back, dry-mounted 8 x 10s, year by year and season by season, and the books are dated. If I ever got enough time to do it, I'd be able to associate the roughly dated prints in the books with the contacts. I know there are dates on some of the transparencies, and I could change the dates on those scans.

But why bother? I'll let some grunt in a museum do all that once I'm world famous. If I do it now, it'll spoil the poor guy's fun, and he won't be able to use the search and correlation for his PhD thesis.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2012, 05:24:27 pm »

The printer got worse: it told me that it detected a long period of inactivity, then asked me to run a test with HP's own glossy paper, and when I tried, it didn't do anything other than run the sheet through and stop. Then when I pressed the X button, it sent the sheet back out to say hello. The thing's as dead as a dodo but still the light shines and the little screen tells me to WAIT.

Frankly, I don't think I'll bother getting it repaired. It's several years old and any work will be bound to cost more than a replacement machine. Anyway, I have so many prints just lying in boxes that it feels dumb simply to build up the numbers. Costs a fortune, and for what, exactly? Ego? Might as well just stick more stuff in the website or empty the one I have and start anew. Or not. Anyway, a limited number of existing prints might be more valuable after I've gone to that great beach location in the sky. Will I need to take a hat?

Rob C

P.S. Finally got it to run a Calibration test, and the report reads: Firmware Error...  never!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 05:42:36 am by Rob C »
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up