Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 9900 centering issues with OSX 10.7 Lion  (Read 2654 times)

wheatcraft

• http://www.stephenwheatcraft.com
Epson 9900 centering issues with OSX 10.7 Lion
« on: April 20, 2012, 11:49:27 am »

I first posted this under the Lightroom but I have since determined that it is not specific to LR, as I get exactly the same results with Photoshop.  So I think it is a problem with OSX Lion.

On roll paper (I'm using 24", but I see the same thing with 16"), if I specify the length to be (say) 18", it cuts at about 19". I say about because it is not exact. I get the same result each time, so it is not random. And the print is not centered on the length.

I have been around and around with Epson (the Long Beach group, which should know what they are doing). They have not been able to help. I also talked to Adobe LR, and also no help.

I don't think I am the only one experiencing this. When I posted this to the LR section, Eric Chan wrote that he had no problems, but he is using OSX 10.6. I really have no interest in going back a step in OS, so please don't suggest that.

I do know there is one really good solution (OK, really a major work around). That is to buy ImagePrint. I actually did this, and yes it works perfectly.

But really, shouldn't LR and Lion do exactly what I tell it to do in Lion?

Steve Wheatcraft

LPJay

• lumen-perfectus.com
Re: Epson 9900 centering issues with OSX 10.7 Lion
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 06:12:07 pm »

The centering problem with OS X is not specific to Lion. I use Snow Leopard (10.6.8), the latest Epson driver for my 7900, and Photoshop CS5. Centering on cut sheets is a challenge I've ranted about on my blog. Centering is not an issue on Windows systems, at least not on friend Dean's Win7 machine.

wheatcraft

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 06:16:30 pm »

I used PCs/Windows until last summer, when I switched over to Macs. I can verify that it is not an issue on Windows machines, I never had a problem until I switched over.
Ironically, I switched to Macs because every time I go to a workshop, virtually everyone is using Macs. It's not that I mind the "ribbing", but I finally bought into the idea that all my photo work would be easier with Macs. Don't get me wrong, I am very glad I made the switch, but this is one place where I am not happy with the Mac's inability to handle the roll paper centering issue.
Jeff or Michael - any thoughts?

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 08:37:46 pm »

I don't seem to have a problem on cut sheets and with rolls I now add a .25" margin to the left side (right as it's coming out of the printer).  It's not exactly .25" out, but within a mm so I just use .25" as it's easier to remember.  I agree we shouldn't have to come up with a band-aid, but at least it's working for now.  BTW, I'm on a MacPro using a 4900.
Mike Guilbault

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 12:14:47 am »

Just trying to clarify what you are asking.  Your print size is 18" long and the printer is cutting it 19" long, but then you want it centered in the 19"?

The epson driver does not attempt to cut very accurately if it is set for single cut.  The assumption is you will trim the print to your final 18" size that you entered as a paper size. Unfortunately if leaving borders it can be a little challenging to "trim" to the final size since you can't just cut the exact same amount off of each side.

You can get more accurate centering as well as a correct final print size if you use a Page Setup popup menu option that allows you to enable double cut.  This can be done using one of the borderless options.  From Lightroom this works pretty well, because you can layout your print on the correct paper size, leaving the borders you would like for the finished print.  Then print borderless(retain size), so the printer sees the borders as part of the printed image.  Enable double cut, and your final print will be cut to the length specified as the paper size with the printed image centered.  This process leaves a "slug" strip of paper that I used to wrap around rolls when storing them.  The waste is about the same as using single cut then trimming the print afterwards.

Nora_nor

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 12:53:21 pm »

have you tried maximum as the print size?
http://www.ronmartblog.com/2011/08/understanding-epsons-printable-area.html

I understand the larger margin on the bottom because I got head strikes when using the rear paper tray (because it bends the sheet upwards) (platen gap wide is supposed to solve that)

wheatcraft

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 01:04:51 pm »

To answer Wayne's question:

I set the print size to 18", I want it to be 18", and I want it centered on the 18". ... seems like a reasonable thing to ask the driver to do, don't you think? ...  :)

I think I mentioned this above, but the costly and elegant "work around" is to buy and use Imageprint 9. When you set the print size to 18" (or whatever you choose) you will get a cut at exactly 18", and the print is perfectly centered.

That having been said, I still would like to see this problem solved so that printing in Lightroom and Photoshop would do exactly what you ask it to do.
Steve

wheatcraft

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 01:07:31 pm »

Thank you for this tip; Ron's video is for cut sheets, but it may be useful anyway. I will check it out.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 01:32:17 pm »

As I mentioned this is how the Epson driver is engineered, and how it has always been.  The assumption is you will either trim the print to your final size using roll paper, or use a double cut method as I described which will give you what you are asking for.

While the double cut system is designed to insure full bleed edge to edge (the print is printed slightly oversize then trimmed) it works to accomplish what you are asking.  Personally I prefer to trim the prints afterwards myself as I like a little extra edge to handle the print that I know is going to be trimmed off.

elisabeth russell

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 06:57:02 pm »

Oh my goodness, I'm kicking myself for not joining this group sooner....such a wealth of information. I've been struggling with centering prints on the 9900 too. We're using Macs w/ Snow Leopard; a 9900 printing from Photoshop and a 4800 with Imageprint. We have always printed on rolls with the customers' understanding that we will only print out to 23" or 43"; we then add a border in PS, thus allowing us to trim off the excess--so centering on a roll hasn't been an issue. But the sheet printing...holy cow have I struggled with that, finally arriving at the 'add .22" to the "Top" value in the print dialog box, which was better but still about a bit off on the left margin. Thanks so much for the above video and all the excellent input--I'm looking forward to trying it out. Steve--you won't regret Imageprint. The profiles are gorgeous...and the ability to center and nest multiple prints is pretty great too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up